LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

I just finished reading through every page of this thread, so I feel about as comfortable as I'm going to with the install. I assume a couple questions I have will become clear once I get everything taken apart in the car, for example, where to stash the GLI? My install is going to be exactly like cjfreitag's, from what I can tell, so I'll be running my 1/8" to 1/8" patch cable from the GLI to the cubby, where my Belkin Auto Kit will be waiting. I wonder what kind of tape cjfreitag used to fasten his GLI to the underside of the radio.

I wasn't clear from your description if you are going to plug the GLI directly into the Jazzy or if you were going to use some sort of patch cable between the Jazzy and the GLI. Since you are planning on using an Auto Kit, I would suggest NOT connecting the GLI directly to the Jazzy in case you have the same problems that some of us have had with the GLI causing the Auto Kit to cut out. (the problem is probably due to heat build up on the Auto Kit).

If you use a separate patch coming off of the Jazzy, it is a fairly easy task to remove the GLI if you are having problems. If you plug the GLI directly into the Jazzy and you want to remove the GLI, it will involve the extra step of taking the head unit apart which adds about 30 minutes of time and is definitely the most putzy part of the install.

A further note on the cut out issue: I exprimented last night with placing a brass key on the backside of the super hot resistor on the Auto Kit as a ghetto heat sink and that seemed to help. I will try to find a heat sink small enough to fit the resistor and see if that can be a more perminent solution.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Small update - I finally received my new cables. They are very nice. Glad to be able to stop shipping Belkin cables in their packaging - it's such a waste. I added the new female RCA to 1/8" cable to the website, added the kits to the website and updated the lower price of the Pro kit.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Sorry, Kristian, I left out the obvious step of connecting the GLI directly to the aux-in and then running the patch cable from the GLI to the cubby, but you make a strong argument for moving the GLI to the other end of the chain.

I don't suppose there's a way to get access to the interior of the cubby without drilling? I don't suppose there is, but I can picture the look on my wife's face when she sees me walking toward our 2300-mile Outback with my DeWalt.

I don't suppose there's a way to get access to the interior of the cubby without drilling? I don't suppose there is, but I can picture the look on my wife's face when she sees me walking toward our 2300-mile Outback with my DeWalt.

I did that when my wife wasn't home :). If there is a way, I didn't see it and I have a nice hole in the cubby now. Drilling it was kinda a pain too because I couldn't remove the whole cubby from the car because of the seat heater switches. Luckily I didn't end up drilling the seat too!

Just got done with the install on my 06 Outback Ltd. automatic. Went from 8 to 10 p.m., but we were very deliberate and took our time. The instructions are great, and I have an entirely new appreciation for the work Nathan did on the first baby steps with this hack.

We ended up drilling a 1/2 wide hole in the raised plastic in the cubby right next to the cigarette lighter, which works really well. Ran the plug from the GLI up through there, attached it to the Belkin, and we were off.

I can't wait for the three-hour drive home on Sunday. Tommorow we install on the 05 XT manual.

On the long drive back to VB from Camp Lejeune last night, I noticed all the damn wires in my cockpit: Radar Detector, USB/BlackBerry charger, MP3 player, and started thinking about this forum. I thought, how cool would it be to set up a wireless receiver vs. the hard wired receiver, and eliminate at least one set of wires. I know there are BlueTooth headphones on the market, so I know it's technically feasable, but has anyone seen something like this installed? Would it be possible to mod the mod and get a BlueTooth receiver incorporated in the design?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36306&page=3

post 31

Jazzy,

How about Electrical Engineering Technology, class of '94? :icon_bigg

Anyway, this sounds like the internal hookups that would normally correspond to the 16-pin external CD changer connector. See post #3 in http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691652&page=1&pp=25

...for pin-outs of this connector.

This connector uses a 2-wire serial protocol, which is a bit tricky because both HU and external "changer" use the same data wire. It's an "open-collector" interface.

I think some Mazdas might use the same protocol, although some pins that are unused in Sube HUs may be used in certain Mazda HUs; see the aux. connector CN-200 at: http://www.miata.net/garage/m2interface.html

• 3 weeks later...
Emailed you... :) Thx for the orders everyone. You're keeping me very busy, but I'm trying to keep up. Wedding plans, work on the house and new job duties at work are coming to a head...likely all I will be able to do is try not to fall behind until after the wedding in Sept. Hopefully I can get back to R&D after that, although I'm not sure if anyone is still waiting around for the "next gen" that I started working on. My development cycle isn't the greatest...sry about that. :)
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

What's the next generation going to have that this one doesn't?
Theoretically.. IF I ever figure it out, the biggest difference for the next generation would be it would not require a silent CD. But, that's a big if... So far, the little progress I've made has taken a long, long time and I'm not planning on making any more until November...

It will play regardless of the source you choose....the blank CD is just so you can hear your music clearly. AS for being able to play it over the radio or a CD and still be audible is a different story. That will depend on the output of hte device you are connecting. With my MyFi, the line out wouldn't have a chance of being audible but the amplified headphone jack does. You may just have to play around.

It will play regardless of the source you choose....the blank CD is just so you can hear your music clearly. AS for being able to play it over the radio or a CD and still be audible is a different story. That will depend on the output of hte device you are connecting. With my MyFi, the line out wouldn't have a chance of being audible but the amplified headphone jack does. You may just have to play around.

Yes, I believe the gps device (Garmin nuvi) has amplified headphone out, that's why it works for him, I guess.

Im interested in this little gizmo, but I have a few questions before I buy.

Does the gizmo produce any type of noise in FM/CD when there is nothing plugged in the new aux port, or when the Ipod is off?

Has anyone had any type of ground noise while not using the GLI, or any noise while using the GLI?

Any noticeable background noise when using the ipod?

What is the volume level you use on the radio and ipod when using the headphone jack out? and for the line out?

:icon_cool

Thanks Jazzy Engineering...took delivery of my OBW on Monday, installed the aux-in mod tonight (Thursday). Nothing like taking apart your new $25k vehicle before the first week is out.

Seems to work great thus far, hopefully I'm not jinxing myself. The instructions were great and gave perfect detail. My one caveat is that with the manual climate control, you have to disconnect the controls from the radio prior to fully removing the unit from the dash...there's a bowden cable of some sort attached to the temp control which doesn't seem to be easily removed. No biggie...just had to do some of the disassembly steps out of order.

Anyway--thanks for this great solution! $55 very well spent I think.

I just installed my Jazzy Aux in. It rocks! I really missed being able to play music off my mp3 player. I had been using a wired FM modulator, and that really sounded horrible for music, and was barely tolerable for audiobooks.

One problem with the instructions though. They forgot to tell you that there's nowhere for the cable to exit the radio. I had to dremel a spot right next to the antenna cable. Also, I had a hell of a time trying to get the mounting brackets off the stereo. I stripped the heads on 5 of the 8 screws and had to use vice-grips to get them out.

Thanks Jazzy. Now I just gotta get a line out adapter for my iRiver H10 so it'll sound even better.

One problem with the instructions though. They forgot to tell you that there's nowhere for the cable to exit the radio. I had to dremel a spot right next to the antenna cable. Also, I had a hell of a time trying to get the mounting brackets off the stereo. I stripped the heads on 5 of the 8 screws and had to use vice-grips to get them out.

I do remember that the bracket screws were way tight but there should have been a piece of plastic you could remove to route the wire...IIRC it was in the back left corner when veiwing from the front.

I do remember that the bracket screws were way tight but there should have been a piece of plastic you could remove to route the wire...IIRC it was in the back left corner when veiwing from the front.

Maybe on the Legacy, but I have a Saabaru (Impreza)

installed the kit Friday night. Not too hard...except the front, right clip of the armrest consol was impossible to slide back in, I ended up leaving it undone and just tightened the hell out of the back screws; you can't really tell. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyhow, I routed the stereo cable up through my armrest cubby by drilling a small (and very discrete) hole, very low (almost touching the bottom) on the side that faces toward the shifter. 100% concealed. From here I want to get that Belkin charger that has an input so I can charge and play music w/ one cord.

If you're thinking about doing this mod, it is the BEST option for an ipod/mp3 sat radio! Nothing else is as easy or sounds as good.

Thanks Jazzy for the mod, easy instructions, and tech advice/assistance.