LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Uh...yea, you failed to mention that part. That sounds exactly like the problem the other guy had. If it's not just a cable jostling loose (still entirely possible), I'll definitely replace the board for you. Just let me know.

Make sure you tape the connectors, too (no brainer, but worth mentioning again)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my Aux-in mods today, and read the instructions. Hopefully, this noob can do it! I've modded Xboxes in the past, and this doesn't look too different, I guess. I'm just nervous because I have to do 2 of them tomorrow, and my wife would be PISSED if I broke both our stereos.

To the people that have done this: is there anything else I should know before getting started? Jazzy's instructions seem pretty straightforward, but anyone have tips to not screw this up?

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

Got my Aux-in mods today, and read the instructions. Hopefully, this noob can do it! I've modded Xboxes in the past, and this doesn't look too different, I guess. I'm just nervous because I have to do 2 of them tomorrow, and my wife would be PISSED if I broke both our stereos.

To the people that have done this: is there anything else I should know before getting started? Jazzy's instructions seem pretty straightforward, but anyone have tips to not screw this up?

His instructions are pretty good and easy to follow. I modded a ps2 once with the hardcore chip (20) solder points on both sides of the board. It was by far more difficult to do that. This really isnt a difficult mod, it just takes a little while. the hardest part of the whole thing is remembering which screws go where when putting it back together and having small enough hands to seat that little ribbon cable into both halves. Your 2nd one is going to be a breeze.

-Tronix(good luck)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

If you can, start your work in the light eh? I dunno why everyone tries to do this mod in the dark, but it doesn't help. The magnetic pickup tool really can be handy. Some towels or old T-shirts to help protect trim pieces is also a very good idea. Other than that, you should be fine.

If you modded an xbox, this will be a walk in the park in comparison. I modded my Xbox and it was a huge pain in the but...in the end, I sorta broke the power button, but it still works (if I hold the power & eject buttons together on startup.:rolleyes: ). Anyway, have no fear. Your installs will be a piece of cake, +1 especially the second one. Just remember:

Aux board -> Y-cable -> GLI -> RCA adapter -> 1/8" Extension cable -> audio device

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Wow, this was a piece of cake. I'll be doing my wife's tonight. Jazzy, your enginerd status is the stuff of legend, and line-level iPod input in this stereo sounds FANTASTIC.

The one issue I had was with the RCA-to-Minijack adapter, it wouldn't plug in completely to the extension cable, and then wouldn't unplug. I got it resolved with audio stuff I had laying around the house, and voila!

I can't thank you enough, Jazzy! I'm kind of sad Subaru is including Aux-in in '07, because this was a fun adventure, and I learned to not be afraid to pull my center console apart.

The one issue I had was with the RCA-to-Minijack adapter, it wouldn't plug in completely to the extension cable, and then wouldn't unplug. I got it resolved with audio stuff I had laying around the house, and voila!

What'd you do to resolve it? I've got the same problem where the adapter will not plug into the extension cable completely.

I tried listening to a cd last night for the first time since the aux-in install and I only get the left channel. Aux-in still works fine though. Does this sound like the cable from the cd player to the board is not connected completely? :confused:

Wow...that is way too many people having the same problem. Sorry guys, it looks like the last batch of 1/8" to RCA adapters are crap quality. I'll refund the cost of it for all those that are having problems (just shoot me a PM or an email with your full name) so you can get a new one at Radio Shack or something and will look for a new vendor to get them from in the future.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I have a question now that I have had mine in for a while now, what are you all using to split your input or switch it? I have 4 components and would like to make it easy to switch or just have them all plugged in w/out loosing to much quality?

Thanks

and Jazzy is the subaru god for making this.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Coiled around the shifter 5MT....as seen in pictures in this long thread.

So it's a long weekend here in Canada this weekend and if I have a chance, I will attempt this mod. Have one question...where did everyone put the GLI?

Behind the ashtray in the 5MT, next to the shifter in 5EAT. The install was so easy, I had my wife actually perform the install in her car (her first mod ever!), and she was able to get it done pretty quickly with the instructions and a little coaching.

The first install took 2 hours, the 2nd took 1 hour. Honestly, the hardest part of the entire install was figuring out how to safely disconnect the radio harnesses. On a scale of 1-10, (1 being a decal, an uppipe being a 7 or 8)I'd rate it a 3.

IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING DOING THIS, DON'T...

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I finished mine last night, after getting one of Jazzy's first boards. It's awesome. Now I just need to figure out which line-out i should get for my Ipod...

Ted

:spin:

I just picked up the Belkin Auto Kit for my iPod, and it's a great addition to this mod. It's an auto charger that connects to the iPod with a dock, but the great feature is that is has a line out audio connector and a volume control.

I plugged it into the power source in the cubby, plugged in the cable to the aux-in (which I had routed into the cubby), and then connected my iPod. Works great...no more turning up the car stereo to 20+ to get the volume I want and then getting blown out when I switch to FM.

It's the cheapest charger/line out combo I found ($30) and it works.

Congrats to Jazzy!!!

Install done...total time about 2 hours. Took off the trim last night and ran out of daylight so today pull the radio, install Jazzy board and re-install!

Hardest part was one of the wire clips at the back...just would not come loose (the grey one). But got it!

Works great...going out for a test drive now.

Jazzy, put this down as another successful install.

wow thanks jazzy, got mine yesterday and installed it in about 45 min (why are people taking so long?). pretty good piece of engineering. hardest part was after putting it mostly back together i realized that i forgot to plug the hazards back in x.x

works fine though, i have it comming out of the cup holder, put a coupler in too so i can plug stuff into it from the outside. sound quality is great, but.. the cd dosent quite play correctly. the cd futzes around, 'skipping' for 4 or 5 min before it starts playing the silence, untill then, nothing comes out cause the cd player is trying to read the cd and it dosent quite get it...

anyone else have this problem? no other cds cause mass confusion in the cd player, just the blank one that was supplied.

matt

Well, since I installed this morning, have not had any issues w/ the blank CD or the Radio. Have not tried playing a normal CD, but I think it will work fine. Perhaps you have a bad CD. On the first page of this thread is a link to download the software and burn your own Blank CD I believe.

Here is the link anyway:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379369&postcount=381

Matt, I think you might have set a record for a first time install. :D It sounds like you have a bad CD though. Happens sometimes. I've been fighting my CD burner a bit lately, so I wouldn't be suprised. Your best bet is to follow the link Malvic posted to burn another CD for yourself. Sorry about the bum CD.

I'll probably buy a new burner tonight...dunno what's up with this one, but it puts out a lot more coasters than I'd like. Firmware update seemed to help some, but not enough.

Quick question, I bought a Belkin Auto Kit as suggested, and I am having a few problems. I have it plugged in in the cubby, with the 1/8" running into it. It plays fine for about 1-2 minutes, and then it starts to drop out intermittently. If I have the 1/8” plugged into the headphone output on the Ipod, I have no problems. I already took one back to the store for this problem, and now the second is doing it. :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted

:spin:

I have also been holding off on my install until I can find a 3.5mm GLI (and it's frustrating me - I know I'm being anal, but the idea of unnecessarily having to go 'to' and 'from' RCA just grates on me).

Has anyone had any luck finding this elsewhere?

Why is this thing so rare?

I just did a 4 hour road test of mine yesterday and had no problems. There are two things I can suggest. First, make sure that the Belkin Charger is firmly seated in the socket. Start playing your iPod and watch the charger. Do the audio dropouts correspond to the light on the charger flickering?

If that is the case, try putting the Belkin charger in the outlet on the dash to see if you have the same problem.

Also, check to make sure that the dock connector is firmly seated in your iPod.

I have also been holding off on my install until I can find a 3.5mm GLI (and it's frustrating me - I know I'm being anal, but the idea of unnecessarily having to go 'to' and 'from' RCA just grates on me).

Has anyone had any luck finding this elsewhere?

Why is this thing so rare?

I got mine at Crutchfield.com, but it is showing out of stock. Here is the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-c46tp6Ilogm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=ground+loop&i=127SNI135

the only problem I have is that the audio isn't really loud at all. When I have the stereo up to 40 with either an ipod or sattelite receiver, it's only about half volume as the radio or CD. Anyone have this result? Is there a pre-amp solution to this?