LegacyGT.com

Teh Rice!!!!!! Volume-2

SBT

Jim Hall made that kind of rear wing work pretty damn well.

But Jim Hall knew what he was doing (kinda'). Before he started racing, he earned an ME degree from Caltech.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

But Jim Hall knew what he was doing (kinda'). Before he started racing, he earned an ME degree from Caltech.

I'm just glad someone besides me even knows who Jim Hall was...LOL. He was pretty innovative and even got McLaren to adopt some of his ideas, at least for a little while, but then he kind of fell behind with a couple of the weird cars (2J for example) and I did actually get to see that car run. Absolutely innovative, but completely unreliable.

Group 7 CanAm racing was the best in the world and if you show someone a photo of any of the later cars (M8D or M20 McLaren, 917/10 or 917/30 Porsche, Lola T280, etc.) no one will believe those cars are 50 years old now because of the beautiful body designs and innovation on aerodynamics.

I'm just glad someone besides me even knows who Jim Hall was...

I actually saw Jim Hall drive the Chaparral 1 at Riverside Raceway (CA) in 1961, when I was a student at Caltech myself.

In the late 1960s I had a brief exchange of correspondence with Hall concerning aerodynamics of the 2H. A couple of my suggestions actually did show up later on the car ... probably in desperation ... but not necessarily in the location(s) I expected. (Look for vortex generator vanes added to the floor of the faux-NACA-style cooling air inlet.)

Group 7 CanAm racing was the best in the world and if you show someone a photo of any of the later cars (M8D or M20 McLaren, 917/10 or 917/30 Porsche, Lola T280, etc.) no one will believe those cars are 50 years old now because of the beautiful body designs and innovation on aerodynamics.
I became peripherally involved with CanAm in 1970 and 1971, during the dominance of McLaren. I seem to remember that the Hall team was present in the pits at the Donnybrooke (MN) CanAm race in September, 1971, but didn't compete. See attached photo, from that race. Peter Revson and Denny Hulme finished 1-2 driving Team McLaren M8Fs. But the star of the show was reigning F1 World Champion Jackie Stewart, who finished a disappointing 6th after a monumental effort in the truly atrocious Lola T260.

McLaren_5_Hulme_600x451.jpg.f46a9810b808611e0a82dfdf6865936f.jpg

Jackie_Stewart_3_587x800.thumb.jpg.1eaebcb0509d3aef92ee7bdb5b08f279.jpg

Lola_1_Stewart_600x407.jpg.af58e10031375752fe6d9fa462d21908.jpg

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I actually saw Jim Hall drive the Chaparral 1 at Riverside Raceway (CA) in 1961, when I was a student at Caltech myself.

In the late 1960s I had a brief exchange of correspondence with Hall concerning aerodynamics of the 2H. A couple of my ideas actually did show up later on the car ... probably in desperation ... but not necessarily in the locations I expected.

I became peripherally involved with CanAm in 1970 and 1971, during the dominance of McLaren. I seem to remember that the Hall team was present in the pits at the Donnybrooke (MN) CanAm race in September, 1971, but didn't compete. See attached photo, from that race. Peter Revson and Denny Hulme finished 1-2 driving Team McLaren M8Fs. But the star of the show was reigning F1 World Champion Jackie Stewart, who finished a disappointing 6th after a monumental effort in the truly atrocious Lola T260.

I remember that race! Didn't Stewart lead about the first 35-40 laps or so and then a flat tire forced him into the pits? It seemed that when the T260 was out front, it was OK, even though it had the nose downforce of a potato, it still had enough tire and engine to make it able to get by the slower cars quickly without upsetting the car. It was before they mounted that ridiculous wing on the front trying to correct that stupid front end design which caused it even more grief, BUT, it certainly was COOL looking with that rounded front nose and has been the benefactor of many a photo/poster shoot. I have that nose shot at home now.

But, back to the race, wasn't Stewart leading Hulme and Revson up until he had a flat tire and that literally cost him the race? And if I recall, the pit work for Stewart was actually very fast for the time, but once back in the pack, he could never catch back up.

I truly LOVED the CanAm Group 7 series racing. Meet safety standards, wheelbase length and width, and do whatever the hell else you want to do and race it. Nothing better than innovativeness at it's finest. Look at any other type of restrictive racing now and it pales in comparison. The beauty of the body designs, the aerodynamic experimentation, the unbelievable engine/drivetrain combinations, and the sheer courage of the drivers (ask Vic Elford about driving the Shadow MK1-"the scariest car I ever drove but it was also one of the fastest"). The beauty of the body designs (McLaren M20, Shadow DN4, Chaparral (most of them...LOL), Lola, Mirage, Porsche 917-10, and so many more are timeless in design.

I have raced slot cars professionally since 1968 and ALL of the slot cars were based on either the CanAm cars or the Endurance cars (Porsche 917K, Ferrari 512M, Lola T70, etc.) so all of these cars were my "hero" cars...LOL. I wanted so badly to drive a Gulf Porsche (#20 of course) into my high school parking lot with my girlfriend, flip everyone off, and do a huge burnout-a fantasy that of course, never did or ever will come true, but was sure fun to daydream about.

But, back to the race, wasn't Stewart leading Hulme and Revson up until he had a flat tire and that literally cost him the race?

I truly don't remember. I was working press (which got me unlimited access to the track, pits, and pre-start grid), so I was concentrating more on getting good photos than on the details of the race. I seem to remember that Hulme (or was it Revson?) dueled with Stewart for the early lead, but then Stewart dropped way back and never recovered. I was never sure if it was due to a shunt, mechanical problems, or Stewart's instinct for self-preservation.

I think the Team McLaren strategy for the race was for Revson to be the rabbit, with Hulme stalking/harassing Stewart's Lola, just waiting for a mistake.

I truly LOVED the CanAm Group 7 series racing.
I wholeheartedly agree. I also liked the international aspect of the series.

... the sheer courage of the drivers (ask Vic Elford about driving the Shadow MK1-"the scariest car I ever drove but it was also one of the fastest").
In the attached photo you can see the Shadow Mk II (with Jackie Oliver driving) at the extreme right. The Shadow DNFed.

One clear memory: The attached photo was taken early in the race at the exit of the sweeping right-hand turn at the head of the start/finish straight. Most of the cars (including Stewart's Lola) were fighting all the way through, over the entire race, with the drivers see-sawing at the wheel and the cars twitching/darting left and right. But both works McLarens seemed to sail smoothly through, on the same line lap after lap, with nary a bobble. Truly an impressive difference!

(Sorry for the poor photo quality. Most of my race photos were destroyed in a fire decades ago. You can still see smoke/water stains in this one.)

Lola_McLaren_Shadow_McLaren.thumb.jpg.a46336507e3fa09372b28071f1079276.jpg

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png