LegacyGT.com

Fog light kit: weekend install project

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here you go.....I did the independent fog light mod right after I got my 3.6R in March ....there is lots of discussion in here about other ways, BUT the way I did it works and is easy to achieve...Enjoy!!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...od-223969.html

I am pretty darn sure the wiring is different on 6th gen, just as it was different from 4th to 5th gen.

I have done what you have done to your car on my 2012 couple of months after delivery in 2011. (can't ever turn the fog lights off unless you add another switch)

There was a much easier way to do this on 4th gens (by disconnecting one wire) and I am looking for a similar solution.

What I have shown you there will work on any car, any gen.........all you are doing is triggering the fog light relay from a different power source (You can choose whatever one you want)...the best part of this is it by-passes the BIU so no risk of an expensive mistake.

If you want to look for another way...help yourself...this is easy and it works....your fogs work with DRL,low beam and high beam and you can shut them off at any time by flipping the switch on the dash.

I have used this method on all 6 of my Subarus (2002 to present) and many other makes as well. ;)

Still waiting for the LED bulbs Amazon.com : Docooler Super Bright 80W H11 Osram LED Car Light Fog Light Lamp Bulb : Car Electronics

In the meanwhile, here are couple of pictures of the end result:

Looking forward to seeing how those LED Fogs look with the OEM headlights. I I am trying to find an LED bulb that matches the color of the headlights.....5000k or 6000k?

Looking forward to seeing how those LED Fogs look with the OEM headlights. I I am trying to find an LED bulb that matches the color of the headlights.....5000k or 6000k?

So I've received a pair of the LED bulbs. One of the bulbs won't fit! (Update: I trimmed all the latches to fit in socket). Here are some pictures of the LED fog lights. It scatters a lot of light. Probably good if those bulbs are in project fog lamps.

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.f33edbbec33bba4cf60ca07a13e6f9e7.JPG

IMG_0509.thumb.JPG.e740b0b0c60c0240a97ac50858b02d47.JPG

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.22abcf1863a3b501e4272f492f6e4e96.JPG

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.0734be1a866418bdb98489b359fef09b.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting! I'm thinking about putting these same fog lights in my Premium. Does the dashboard switch look stock, and did it fit into one of the holes to the left of the steering wheel? Would you be able to post a picture?

Thanks,

MG

I glad you're young and ambitious I am too old to even think about trying something like that. That is why I buy I always buy the top of the line this case 3.6r limited with the bells and whistles so I just enjoy the ride.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Thanks for posting! I'm thinking about putting these same fog lights in my Premium. Does the dashboard switch look stock, and did it fit into one of the holes to the left of the steering wheel? Would you be able to post a picture?

Thanks,

MG

The switch is OEM so it's stock. See switch in picture.

IMG_0533.thumb.jpg.8be4e72bd9f847a855c134bf30f3ccfb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
With the OEM switch, where did you plug the wiring into in the dash? This is the only part I'm confused about with the install....

Hmm? The fog light wiring is connected to a dummy button by default. Unplug the wire from the dummy button then plug it into the fog light button.

Guest rayms69
Blank buttons on an audi would b a thumbs down, i sacrificed the a6 plan for subaru because it was way cheaper. Commuter car anyways, so I will let it slide.couldnt see driving the a6 100 miles a day, every rock chip would drive nuts

• 10 months later...
So I'm confused. The diagram in the manual says H16 for non steering responsive. Then cuttlefish said they are h11. Which one are they? I have a premium with regular WITHOUT steering responsive lights. Most LEDs online show h16 as 5202?. Cuttlefish can u verify what size? Thanks

Done some searching and haven't found anything through the forums... but has anyone had the LED fogs when it's been snowing out? I have always gone with halogen since the bulb will get warm enough to prevent any snow buildup on the lens and keep the decent visibility (at least as decent as it can get when it's snowing!). Do the various LED options get warm enough to keep the snow melted? Or does the snow build up and cause visibility issues? (kind of curious with LED's in the headlights too if there may be the same issue)

It's the last upgrade for lighting that I'm considering at this time, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone that has had experience with this.

LEDs do get warm, hence the need for fans or heat sinks to dissipate the heat, so I would assume they'd keep the lens above 32 degrees. I've felt the base of the bulbs before after they've been on for a while, definitely warm enough to keep you from holding your hand there too long.

Just remembered I have an infrared thermometer that I could measure surface temperature of the lens with...if I remember I'll do this and post up some numbers (emphasis on that IF :lol:)

Ok. I just put in xenon depot 30w Cree LED bulbs(6k). I had the 5k in my last car, they were to yellow. I used H11. I Had to file the biggest metal tab almost all the way down with the concentration on the southeast corner of the tab. First one took a half hour with trial and error, second one ten seconds once I knew where to trim. Lol

Archived