LegacyGT.com

Fog light kit: weekend install project

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, unfortunately I didn't. The H11 has three metal tabs. The largest tab is the one that causes the problem. You have to pretty much file the whole thing down and leave only a little. I used a file from a multi tool. I realize that doesn't mean much without photos.

I think the big tab is so that you put the bulb in correctly for proper focus.

The big tab is there to "help" you match the proper lamp to the housing ... i.e. the lamp type that the housing and optics were designed for. Each lamp type has it's own tab arrangement. For example, H11 (55 watts, ~1350 lumens) and H9 (65 watts, ~2100 lumens) lamps are dimensionally interchangeable, but the base tabs are slightly different.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

When I installed my xenon depot LED bulbs into my fogs, I simply inserted them and turned and was done.

These are not the same as the Phillips led headlight bulbs with the heat sink. These are just 30w bulbs with 5 led diode around them. I had Bought eBay ones before and the car place that did the install had to shave the tab as well, he was telling me he didn't think the proper size was H11. They def need to be shaved the large tab doesn't fit the largest tab opening on the socket. I could see the opening on the socket while I was turning it turst me, it doesn't fit. The factor halogens (H16)go right back in when u line up the large tab with the large socket. So ammcinnis is prob correct, the socket is meant for H16s on the non steering responsive lights and the tabs are slighty different for an H11 bulb. My model uses H16, limiteds use H11.

So I'm ordering the fog light kit online now, also ordering Morimoto H11 XB LED's to replace the stock halogen bulbs. Anyone else do this ?

I have these same LED's installed for my HB / DRL, so I thought it would be nice to have an exact color match to my fogs when driving.

Also something I can't seem to find in the search tab - If you install the fog light kit, with what light settings can you use the fog's? #1 No lights (high beams auto on when driving) #2 Driving lights (high beams, C-LED, interior red led and brake driving lights on) / #3 Low beams / #4 (Assuming they won't work with highs) but pure information, High Beam Headlights on.

@Airborne1Cav. I have the XD LEDs on everything (Fog, Lo, Hi). So there's a perfect color match. I'm extremely satisfied with this configuration.

To answer the rest. 1) The fogs only come on with the Lo beams. It doesn't matter if the switch is in Auto or you switch the headlights on, The fogs (with the interior switch on) is tied to the Lo beam. When you switch to Hi, the fogs go off.

In Off or Auto, the DRLs are the Hi bulbs only, in reduced power with Halogens. Fogs N\A.

Just some helpful info for premium models with non steering responsive fog lights. They use an osram H16 halogen bulb, however the base is not what a typical H16 base looks like. I found this post by xenon depot on a Toyota forum which kinda of explains its. Subaru is using the same bulb.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM

XenonDepot

XenonDepot is on a distinguished road

Newer Toyotas are coming with an H16 bulb that is not related to the traditional H16 bulb out there, adding to some confusion. We have found based on customer feedback that H11 will work on these vehicles. If you order the 5202/H16 style, they will NOT be compatible.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Over the weekend, I've replaced the stock fog light housing, with cheapo LED bulbs, to Morimoto XB Type T fog lights. Wow, these new lights are nice! They are just as bright or brighter than my Morimoto 35W HIDs. Not a perfect fit to the front housing covers however. There are small gaps between the covers and the light lenses.

Think the fog lights are aimed a little high. Will see... may aim it down a little.

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.b094b14dbd40b36ae47a27b4d56f114a.jpg

IMG_0042.thumb.jpg.5e1f12379c4ca2df3c8bd34a28dd0f37.jpg

Nice! I've been considering them for a while now just gotta save up more money for my upgrade fund lol.

Any chance you could post a pic of what they look like in the housing? Was mounting pretty straightforward?

Members that've upgraded their fogs, what do you think of these? It's appealing because they are plug n play :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00LNOTM0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446692178&sr=8-1&keywords=h16+fog+light+bulb]Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets H16 5202 TYPE 2 (with 90 degree angle) LED Bulbs with Projector for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White: Automotive[/ame]

Members that've upgraded their fogs, what do you think of these? It's appealing because they are plug n play :)

I like the look of them, but there was one review that got my attention (link below, and look at the pictures specifically). I REALLY like the look of them, but for functionality (actual snow and fog like we are getting the next couple of days) it sounds like these would actually cause more blindness from the scattered light dispersion than help with the light output. I'd also imagine that these could be blinding to other drivers on the road.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UCIAUUKAC0J0/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00LNOTM0G

(updated the link, first one I posted didn't work)

Update: Over the weekend, I've replaced the stock fog light housing, with cheapo LED bulbs, to Morimoto XB Type T fog lights. Wow, these new lights are nice! They are just as bright or brighter than my Morimoto 35W HIDs. Not a perfect fit to the front housing covers however. There are small gaps between the covers and the light lenses.

Think the fog lights are aimed a little high. Will see... may aim it down a little.

The Mori's aren't even close to being as bright as their 35w HID's. I had both. The benefit of the Mori LED's is that they are instant, and they have a directive beam pattern so not to blind oncoming drivers. They also spread the light out a bit more evenly.

The HID's are about 2x's the brightness, have a major hotspot in the middle and blind/dazzle oncoming drivers even when they are turned down.

I'd still prefer the Mori LED's

The Mori's aren't even close to being as bright as their 35w HID's. I had both. The benefit of the Mori LED's is that they are instant, and they have a directive beam pattern so not to blind oncoming drivers. They also spread the light out a bit more evenly.

The HID's are about 2x's the brightness, have a major hotspot in the middle and blind/dazzle oncoming drivers even when they are turned down.

I'd still prefer the Mori LED's

Hey Subisnob, do your LED Morimoto lights put off enough heat to be able to clear off any snow buildup? That's literally the only hold back I have on ordering these for mine!

Hey Subisnob, do your LED Morimoto lights put off enough heat to be able to clear off any snow buildup? That's literally the only hold back I have on ordering these for mine!

The H19 oem housing is cheap plastic can't handle the extra heat you throw at it, although it has better output than the H11 oem fog on my 16 legacy which is glass lens with cast iron bowl but output is awful, if you want output shot of it with HID i can take some with and color temp you want since i have it off the car.

I can check how hot it feels when i get off work today with it running.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

The H19 oem housing is cheap plastic can't handle the extra heat you throw at it, although it has better output than the H11 oem fog on my 16 legacy which is glass lens with cast iron bowl but output is awful, if you want output shot of it with HID i can take some with and color temp you want since i have it off the car.

I can check how hot it feels when i get off work today with it running.

Sounds great... that's an option I'm looking at as well!

Sounds great... that's an option I'm looking at as well!

The XB Led fog doesn't make any heat in the front lens, all the heat are handled by the heatsink in the back of it.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

XB LED fogs are the greatest. Cannot recommend these enough. I have a pair of OEM foglight housings w/bulbs if anyone reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wants them, but I would go the XB route if your budget is up for it.

Even my HID kits in factory fog housings didn't have enough heat to melt snow build up. I mean, I guess if your parked for extended interval, but driving down the road is not gonna happen.

Takes two sec's to wipe clean with your fingers.;)

I searched and don't want to spend the $ for Morimotos or a fancy LED bulb. Would this work well?

http://www.xenondepot.com/5202-LED-Fog-Light-Bulbs-s/37.htm

Don't waste your money. They are not going to have very good output.

They are only going to give you a color matched look from outside.:rolleyes:

Even my HID kits in factory fog housings didn't have enough heat to melt snow build up. I mean, I guess if your parked for extended interval, but driving down the road is not gonna happen.

Takes two sec's to wipe clean with your fingers.;)

That's part of the reason I've been holding off upgrading these. At least with the halogens they stay warm enough to melt any buildup (which I got to test the other night)... and I'm too lazy to get out and wipe them off when it's cold as hell out if I can avoid it! :lol:

Archived