LegacyGT.com

Fog light kit: weekend install project

I am okay with the light output from the OEM bulbs, much better than no fogs at all. 1692 makes a good point-I will keep them halogen as well, but may look for a brighter/white bulb. Some of you are using an H11 halogen, but needed to trim the larger tab to get it to fit?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a good point: halogen bulbs will melt buildups considering it uses ~93% energy to generate heat and the rest for light.

That being said, LEDs generate considerable amount of heat as well. If no heatsink, the heat is transferred into the light housing, melting buildups. However, the LED lights with at least several nodes and heatsink will shoot light all over the place, warm up the housing, and not very functional. I've tried it.

What ever you do, don't dazzle incoming drivers. HIDs and powerful LEDs in traditional halogen housing will dazzle incoming divers. You've probably have seen those obnoxious drivers before.

Recommend LED and HID with projector and halogen with OEM fog housing.

• 4 weeks later...
Update: Over the weekend, I've replaced the stock fog light housing, with cheapo LED bulbs, to Morimoto XB Type T fog lights. Wow, these new lights are nice! They are just as bright or brighter than my Morimoto 35W HIDs. Not a perfect fit to the front housing covers however. There are small gaps between the covers and the light lenses.

Think the fog lights are aimed a little high. Will see... may aim it down a little.

i bought the FogLight Kit from Subaru but also the Type T Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights. HOW HARD WAS IT to put in the kit ? how did you make the cut out where the fog light button goes ?

these were the instructions right ? is the part # correct ?http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/77217/pdf/077217-H451SAL000IxILegacyFogLightKit.pdf

• 2 months later...
Hello everyone. I'm new to the boards--discovered it tonight. I have a 2016 Legacy 2.5 Premium and am going to be getting the OEM fog light kit. My question is this... Does the switch for the fog light stay on so that they come on automatically when the headlights come on or do I have to turn them on manually each time?

I just came across these yellow LED H16 bulbs that fit our fog lights. I've been hesitant to have LED's in these for not being able to melt off snow, but been thinking of the yellow light output and how beneficial it could be for lighting... What do all of you think?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Yellow-Light-3500K-3200LM/dp/B01B8P5MZS/ref=sr_1_94?ie=UTF8&qid=1457133236&sr=8-94&keywords=h16+fog+light+bulb+yellow]http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Yellow-Light-3500K-3200LM/dp/B01B8P5MZS/ref=sr_1_94?ie=UTF8&qid=1457133236&sr=8-94&keywords=h16+fog+light+bulb+yellow[/ame]

^ I'll do it, if you do. And then you can show me how to install them. Lunch, my treat! :lol:

:lol: I do still think I'm supposed to show you how to install the fog lights anyways!

I sent an email to the seller since there were no product pictures of them installed on a vehicle... and of course offered mine to be a test platform if necessary. I'll let you know what I hear!

I had my Fogs installed at Shortline. But I'd like an upgrade to the bulbs, they aren't bright enough for me. Of course since it's going to be lighter outside longer, I won't really need to upgrade until this Fall.

Good point... It's been nice getting off of work and not having the headlights come on as I drive home. I hardly ever do any night time driving anymore, and with the HID upgrade on the headlights, I barely ever need the fogs.

Of course now I've said that, I'll see some foggy or snowy days soon...

I got he 4300k Philips kit from XenonDepot. It wasn't hard to do once I realized that I didn't need the wiring harness that was included with it. It honestly took a total of 20 minutes to get both sides installed.

For the brightness, it's a night and day difference compared to the halogens... :lol:

It's actually amazing the light output that these have. I was impressed when I upgraded the halogens to my original LED's, but the light didn't go too far out. With these, I can see the cut off lines 1/4 mile down the road. I did have to do some very slight adjusting down with both sides so I wouldn't blind anyone, but it was well worth it!

And you installed these in your OEM fog fixtures?

Nope... if you look at the previous posts, we were also talking about headlights. This is what I have in my headlights currently. I think they would probably melt the fog light housing...

Nope... if you look at the previous posts, we were also talking about headlights. This is what I have in my headlights currently. I think they would probably melt the fog light housing...

Ah, ok. With all I've been reading things are running together. Thanks for clarifying. Since the thread title is "Fog light kit: weekend install" I was confused.

Ah, ok. With all I've been reading things are running together. Thanks for clarifying. Since the thread title is "Fog light kit: weekend install" I was confused.

No worries... I get cross-eyed a lot of times while reading through these threads! :lol:

Depending on the housing.

The SRF ones are metal with glass lens, suitable for the stock 55W halogen bulbs, IIRC.

The non-SRF are plastic housing all round, IIRC.

The HID kit is 35W bulbs.

• 3 years later...
Ok, just an update for the couple of people who asked for pictures and instructions:

1) instructions for the fog kit can be found on Subaru's website: http://techinfo.subaru.com/search/index.html

Select Publication type: Accessory Installation Guide.

2) It's pretty simple install. The only parts that I thought was tricky was steps 3 & 8.

3) Solutions:

-Fog lamp cover removal: reach your hands in as described in step #2 and push the fog lamp cover outward instead of using nylon tool in step #3

-Panel cover removal: Use some force on the bottom on the cover. You may make a mark in that area but can't see it in your day-to-day driving activities.

3) I'm waiting for the LED H11 fog bulbs to arrive then to take some pictures.

You need a log in for the instructions

You need a log in for the instructions

No. Accessory Installation Guide downloads from STIS are free.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived