LegacyGT.com

Turbo Upgrades for the LGT

TDC Tuning

You could relocate the battery to the trunk. It would improve on space and another area where the front mount piping could go. It should be VERY easy to make a braket to mount it as well. ;) Good job though! Can you take a pic of the turbo where the FMIC mounts to it? That's the only weary area I have in my opinion, is the angles....

Yeah we could, but don't forget we are try'n to do this for a stock setup too, so people can just get the FMIC with the stock turbo and bolt on. (we will get pics)

That be'n said, after that we are gonna mate it to the new turbo, and you bet, we will take a million pics of everything......

But my sched. STINKS I had to push it back but we have a perm date now..so hang tight for a week. :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey scans,

that's a monster-thick intercooler! does it allow you to keep the stock bumper beam? I assume you must have to hack it up pretty good.

here are a few teaser pics of the fmic, and what we could get done last night........*drool*

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/FMIC/Large/DSC02519.JPG

Hey scans,

that's a monster-thick intercooler! does it allow you to keep the stock bumper beam? I assume you must have to hack it up pretty good.

No bumper beam at all, only that bracket that was custom created.....the thicker the core the better :D

Where you guys even really think'n about getting and FMIC? or just giving me crap ;)

Have you guys seen the bumper beam.......there is nothing to it....Any cuts/modifications to the stock bumper beam will weak'n its integety and will render it useless....thats y we decided against it. Also the core will be so much smaller if we wanted to mod the bumper beam or keep it all together........so I guess you will never be able to have a front mount then........bummer for you guys. :p

Do you think the bumper beam saved your life in that accident? If so.....awesome, you're a lucky kid Andy....and that must've been a HUGE accident....glad you're ok :D

As for 'not our driving'......I agree, other drivers suck.....but......it's the front of your car......the bumper beam only protects against impact in head on collisions...and if you hit something head on....97% of the time it's gonna be YOUR fault or something that you could've avoided....so it's not so much other drivers

One of my fav quotes: "Live life worried....and you aren't living at all"

I don't want a battle here cuz everyone has their opinions, and their own comfort levels, their own views as what the see as "safe"........For me....Bumper beam gone..and is replaced with a smaller version of a bumper beam and the fmic......which will prob absorb the exact same amt of impact as the bumperbeam.....;)

Time will tell.......maybe when I'm ready to get rid of the car....I'll drive it into a tree and find out for you guys............:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If he is putting a smaller bumper beam, hopefully it is designed to take the original bumper beams load, maybe a little less. I am on the fence but I would really like to see pictures comparing the two and how the internal structure of the smaller beam is made up.

I will probably end up doing this myself too. Just need to see the final details.

TDC - How much are protunes going for?

Ok, I've stayed silent so far because out of respect of a fellow vendor, but since scans007 has made a couple of incorrect statements I feel obliged to step in and make a couple comments of my own...

Have you guys seen the bumper beam.......there is nothing to it....Any cuts/modifications to the stock bumper beam will weak'n its integety and will render it useless....thats y we decided against it. Also the core will be so much smaller if we wanted to mod the bumper beam or keep it all together........so I guess you will never be able to have a front mount then........bummer for you guys. :p

First off, this statement is not accurate. The notched sections that are made to fit a FMIC in my opinion will not degrade the absorbing affect of the bumper beam. The core I offer in my FMIC kit is a 2.4" thick. It is large enough to have a significant effect on air charge temperature.

As for 'not our driving'......I agree, other drivers suck.....but......it's the front of your car......the bumper beam only protects against impact in head on collisions...and if you hit something head on....97% of the time it's gonna be YOUR fault or something that you could've avoided....so it's not so much other drivers

The bumper beam acts as an impact dampener but also as you can see to the pics above is directly related to the airbag sensors. I would hate to think that your airbags would not deploy because you have no bumper beam.

If you want a front mount and want keep bumper beam (which I would hate to see you get no insurance coverage, or worse sued, because it was missing in an accident) , they should purchase an already provent FMIC that is on the market.

That's all, carry on.

-Rob

MTS

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Ok, I've stayed silent so far because out of respect of a fellow vendor, but since scans007 has made a couple of incorrect statements I feel obliged to step in and make a couple comments of my own...

First off, this statement is not accurate. The notched sections that are made to fit a FMIC in my opinion will not degrade the absorbing affect of the bumper beam. The core I offer in my FMIC kit is a 2.4" thick. It is large enough to have a significant effect on air charge temperature.

The bumper beam acts as an impact dampener but also as you can see to the pics above is directly related to the airbag sensors. I would hate to think that your airbags would not deploy because you have no bumper beam.

If you want a front mount and want keep bumper beam (which I would hate to see you get no insurance coverage, or worse sued, because it was missing in an accident) , they should purchase an already provent FMIC that is on the market.

That's all, carry on.

-Rob

MTS

THE PRODUCTION units will fit w the bumper beam in place...

END OF STORY

Scans is like that because we decided to use a bigger core

its not the final beam either

simply there to hold the IC for making the kit

Please think before you type

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Cobb, Perrin, APS, Invidia, Megan racing and MORE!!

Your #1 source For Subaru / Legacy GT performance parts!

If he is putting a smaller bumper beam, hopefully it is designed to take the original bumper beams load, maybe a little less. I am on the fence but I would really like to see pictures comparing the two and how the internal structure of the smaller beam is made up.

I will probably end up doing this myself too. Just need to see the final details.

TDC - How much are protunes going for?

pro tunes are $300

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

See that was the reaction I wasn't looking for. I'm not bashing a thread. I was commenting on his comments about the bumper beam. If that isn't your finished product then fine, I assumed it was. If folks want a FMIC without the bumper beam, then I'm sure a system like scans007 will work fine.

-Rob

See that was the reaction I wasn't looking for. I'm not bashing a thread. I was commenting on his comments about the bumper beam. If that isn't your finished product then fine, I assumed it was. If folks want a FMIC without the bumper beam, then I'm sure a system like scans007 will work fine.

-Rob

and the setup i do WITH the stock bumper beam will work fine as well

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

seriously you think that was just a comment about a bumper beam?

it was a cheap shot of you trying to nudge in on this post

your car is "proven"? where are the dyno charts

and intake air temp comparisons??

how many people have your cooler on thier cars?

i must have over 30 custom HAND BUILT (by me) intercooler setups on the road in new england on a variety of cars, Subaru , honda, acura, vw. audi, etc. So dont try to make people think i dont know what i am doing.

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Come on boys......drop the testosterone levels a bit.

Scans very clearly said that his FMIC install would have to abandon the front bumper beam. There's no controversy to that statement, right? Most car owners would find it unsettling to know that their car didn't have a bumper beam, right? Most insurance companies would likely frown on the absence of a bumper beam if you tried to make a claim, right?

So that's what justified the comments (call it bashing if you want.....but that's like calling intelligence "smarty pants")

When TDC clarified that they fully do intend to release another version of the FMIC with obviously a smaller or thinner core that would fit behind the bumper beam....then the point of disagreement was eliminated.

Can we move on now.........

Yes, everyone does want to know what the "numbers" are for any significant mod like a FMIC..be it TDC's or MTS's or Perrins. Only time will tell.

I am done with this thread, as people will ultimately formulate their own opinions of your setup.

I'll leave boxrpwr comments stand on their own as an implicit point of why I made my comments.

As for being proven? Before the intercooler I ran 13.6 @ 100... after, 13.1 @ 104 in the 1/4 mile. Same track, same conditions, stock timing, 16psi boost. I own the fastest stock-turboed lgt in the country, with parts anyone can buy off the shelf. Have I metered air temps? Not yet. For now I am going by the manufacture's specs on the intercooler core that state a 90f drop in charge temp, with less than .2 psi drop in charge pressure. Heck, I haven't even been tuned yet, other than the quickie tune I made myself. So in my interpritation of the definition, it's proven.

if you have anything further to state to me, I suggest you do it via PM in a professional manor. Good luck to you and your future endevours.

-Rob

MTS

Rob im not trying to be a pita but you make statements that can be taken either way. Variations in 60 foot time could cause your ET to drop

As far as you KNOW you are the fastest stock turbo LGT (as per internet chat rooms and forums)

Would you like to get into the heat transfer properties of stainless steel VS aluminum piping?

I know that your car is quick im not denying it.

Your product seems well made,

but why try and make MY kit look inferior or not useable as yours?

(dont deny it, the way you worded it made it perfectly clear what you were trying to do )

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Ok really this is my last post in here...just wanted to reply to your statement...

60 foots were roughly the same, 1.9-2.0.

Yes it can be taken either way. I am not going to argue with you or discredit your work. I do want to sell intercoolers and you are obviously going to be a competitor. I found a niche where there was a need. I started a business to produce these kits because at the time nobody was motivated to make them. I am not out to make gobs of money, I am here to make a great kit for guys with great cars. When I read what scans wrote, and saw that there no statement that said the bumper beam would remain I felt a need to respond. For scans007 to dismiss the beam as an unessential piece of metal, I felt obligated to state it was not unessential, and if one wanted a fmic where it remained, they should look at MTS's or another kit.

Regarding heat transfer properties; minimal in this application, and I already have plans of making an all aluminum version of my kit for those who dont believe it's minimal since aluminum costs are roughly the same. Will aluminum retain less heat than stainless, in high temp applications, yes. Will Aluminium crack, wear (metal on metal contact), or scratch easier than stainless, yes. There are pros-cons to every application.

I will not deny that I think the kit shown there, which according to scans007 will have to eliminate the bumper beam, is inferior in design to a kit where the bumper beam can remain. Most customers of both kits will be driving their cars on the street. You have now stated that your production kit will allow for the bumper beam. That is great, and thus your production kit will be superior to scans007 design shown above for a streetable FMIC ... --> IMO.

Have a great day! Time for me to go outside and enjoy it. Take care.

-Rob

MTS

post #8

Froggert asks iif the bumper beam needs cutting

If you want one that is that big

then yes

if you dont then no

ill supply a bumper beam for the LARGE coolers

i have 4 sizes of cooler available

1 requires NO trimimg

1 requires trimimg

1 requires MORE trimming

1 comes with a replacement bumper beam

scans car is a prototype

and not the final production unit

piping will be identical but core sizes will vary

Competetion is great, but when one vendor tries to make anothers product look inferior, or tries to dissuade people from buying it without EVER seeing the actual product its kind of bs.

You will have your kit and i will have mine, people will buy based on

thier preferences and the performance of the individual kits....

there must be 20 FMIC kits for a wrx and everyone buys what they like

k im done too....

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Archived