LegacyGT.com

Turbo Clocking Question

I purchased a remanufactured VF52 recently. When it arrived everything looked great. Fit it on the car and everything looked like it lined up pretty well.

When I tried to bolt the intercooler on, this was the result:

http://i.imgur.com/7DQtr7l.jpg

Everything else fit very nicely, including the oil/coolant lines and the up-pipe.

Using the trusty iPhone on a level bench, we find this result:

http://i.imgur.com/5sds58u.jpg

A senior member of this forum has told me that all VF series turbos should have the outlet flanges on the compressor / turbine housings parallel to each other (180* opposite face of course). This makes sense to me.

In my brief back-and-forth with the seller, he has agreed to make it right, which I am pleased with. He has said that he this is how he normally puts them together... I am curious whether this is an LGT-specific fitment issue, or if the turbocharger was just assembled incorrectly, and the 08+WRX fitment uses this clocking configuration.

Just trying to expand the knowledge base here.

Thanks!

• Moderators
Should be the same for WRX and LGT. But have you tried reclocking it? I'm not sure if the VF52's are pinned or not, but if not you can just loosen the clamp there and gently rotate the housing to see if you can correct it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

So did you try to reclock it, or no? It's technically aftermarket for your car and not OEM if it's from someone other than OEM. Sometimes you have to tweak things to get them to fit, even high-dollar parts. Ask me how I know.

If you can simply loosen the band and rotate things to fit, you should do so. If the turbo is "pinned", then don't bother.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

It's not pinned, but the oil return line and coolant lines fit perfectly, and I didn't want to screw that up or risk some sort of shaft misalignment because I was impatient. There were no warranty issues, just more risk than I was willing to take on as a hobbyist.

Rotating the housing will not effect anything else. Do you still have the old turbo ? look at it. loosen the nuts and rotate the compressor housing.

People do it all the time. It's no big thing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^Can't do that. Housing BETTER be sealed with high temperature silicone and the only way to clock the compressor housing is to:

Remove vacuum hose

Remove coolant pipes

Remove wastegate actuator and housing bolts

GENTLY remove compressor housing using a soft hammer, being extremely careful to not let the housing touch the compressor wheel or it could damage the wheel, housing, or both.

Remove all of the silicone on the compressor housing and compressor backing plate

Fit and mark the compressor housing using a level to make sure they are both on the exact same plane

Sparingly apply high temperature red silicone to the housing all the way around where the backing plate fits

Line up the marks and fit the compressor housing onto the backing plate very carefully taking care not to damage the compressor wheel or housing

Put bolts in and mount the wastegate actuator, taking care to not overtighten the bolts

Replace E-clip on wasregate arm

Replace coolant pipes, putting in support bolts and being very careful to tighten the coolant banjo bolts evenly but not too tight

AND...IHI turbos are all pinned on the exhaust side unless someone broke the pin or cut it off during rebuilding.

JmP, I know you rebuild these. I'll have to look at my old vf40, I thought for sure I could have just rotated the compressor housing, like Garrett.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and looking at it, I didn't want to break that seal and try to put it back together in my garage. Maybe I'll try and rebuild a less blown up one to get the experience.

I just looked at my vf40. There's a red seal on the compressor housing. Loosen the bolts and nuts, give the flange a tap with a hammer and it will rotate. Mine is in pieces but I did put the center section together with the compressor housing. It will rotate.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6536_zpsa61549ea.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6537_zps39ae841e.jpg

Archived