LegacyGT.com

Lowering Outback XT

Hey everyone, been lurking on these forums for quite some time but this one of the first times I've posted. I recently bought an 05 OBXT and the struts are definitely due to be changed soon. I know there has been tons of threads about this but I would like to lower the stance a bit without overdoing it, while still improving the handling over stock. I've seen this thread where a guy used outback kybs and lgt springs with great results http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/obxt-w-lgt-struts-and-ob-springsi-196052.html. My only question is if I wanna put on some lgt wagon swift springs could I get away with using lgt struts or will i have to use ob struts because will the car sit too low on lgts. Thanks to anyone who has got some info on this

Pretty sure you will need the LGT struts and springs and if not changing much else the rear bump stops need to be LGT as well. This is kind of the poor mans version so you may need some other items to adjust for a proper alignment.

There is a lowered outback thread with tons of options all the way to swapping out all the needed items to go full LGT spec.

Good luck.

• Moderators

Here are some options:

1. Pick up a set of LGT struts / springs. Probably the cheapest, but will still handle much like stock. Although if you buy new KYBs things should be much tighter than your tired parts are currently. You can remove your current bump stops (they screw out) and should be fine
  2. Pick up a set of koni yellow shocks and run them with your stock outback springs. This will be a somewhat mild drop, slightly higher than a stock legacy. The compressed outback springs will give a bit of a performance bump. You'll still need a set of front LGT shocks to use as housings for the konis.
  3. If you want swifts, you'll need to run them with either bilsteins or tokicos--they are designed for that style of strut. The swifts will quickly destroy and set of stock struts (LGT or OBXT) so I wouldn't bother.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 months later...
Here are some options:

1. Pick up a set of LGT struts / springs. Probably the cheapest, but will still handle much like stock. Although if you buy new KYBs things should be much tighter than your tired parts are currently. You can remove your current bump stops (they screw out) and should be fine
  2. Pick up a set of koni yellow shocks and run them with your stock outback springs. This will be a somewhat mild drop, slightly higher than a stock legacy. The compressed outback springs will give a bit of a performance bump. You'll still need a set of front LGT shocks to use as housings for the konis.
  3. If you want swifts, you'll need to run them with either bilsteins or tokicos--they are designed for that style of strut. The swifts will quickly destroy and set of stock struts (LGT or OBXT) so I wouldn't bother.

Whoa whoa whoa. I thought I'd read all the threads on outback -> lgt suspension but I don't remember reading anything about anyone who has actually done that. There were various combinations of lgt struts, springs, aftermarket stuff, bilsteins, kyb's, and spacers galore but I can't remember actually reading about someone putting the outback springs inside an lgt length strut/shock. Can you link it up, BMB? Would there be any advantage to doing that over using lgt springs in konis in conjunction with spacers?

Archived