LegacyGT.com

wrapping exhaust parts?

meier motor sports

Correct me if I'm wrong....

But...

Con, wrappings can trap moisture causing premature rusting, etc...

Pro, heat shielding against radiating heat into the enviroment in the engine bay. Well, at least slowing the radiation of the heat.

But, that's all I get from it.

I plan to have all my parts wrapped if not coated (UP/DP). Will it help? Maybe. I'll feel better by "containing" the heat in the pipes, though. My 2 cents. I've heard arguements on both sides and valid points were made. I walked away with less heat = more hp and potential wear on nearby parts. Just find the most cost effective way that lets you sleep well at night.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I plan to have all my parts wrapped if not coated (UP/DP). Will it help? Maybe. I'll feel better by "controlling" the heat in the pipes, though. My 2 cents. I've heard arguements on both sides and valid points were made. I walked away with less heat = more hp and potential wear on nearby parts. Just find the most cost effective way that lets you sleep well at night.

until your fancy new parts fall apart :lol:

The benefit is not outweighted by the cost and trouble. If you have a plain up and downpiope it is simple enought to wrap them, but I would not remove any heat shields and replace them with wrap.

I've wrapped exhaust headers in the past only to have them implode after about 6 mos. The problem is that the wrapping does too good a job at trapping heat and it's too hot for the metal used in some exhaust parts. Basically the metallic mollecules start to crystallize due to the heat and the metal eventually weakens and cracks.

until your fancy new parts fall apart :lol:

The benefit is not outweighted by the cost and trouble. If you have a plain up and downpiope it is simple enought to wrap them, but I would not remove any heat shields and replace them with wrap.

what about 304 stainless parts? is something like jet hot better???

I've wrapped exhaust headers in the past only to have them implode after about 6 mos. The problem is that the wrapping does too good a job at trapping heat and it's too hot for the metal used in some exhaust parts. Basically the metallic mollecules start to crystallize due to the heat and the metal eventually weakens and cracks.

OMG OMG, I remembered something from college....

The metal will become brittle...

:D

Yes, I'm werd, deal... :p

Ceramic coating is much better. If you don't have them coated I would leave them alone the benefit is just not tangible.
My plans and thoughts exactly. I just take a "middle of the road approach" because I don't have any experience with either coating or wrapping, so I can only repeat what others have said.

On a side note, what do you know, Mr. "I'm stock, blah, blah, blah"?:lol:;)

k... coated it is. for the bling factor:dm:

coated inside or out or both?

Depends (not the grown folks diaper). There are as many opinions on that as there are on whether or not it's worth it in the first place. There are several thicknesses, numbers of layers, temp levels, finish colors, etc. Not sure on that one. Oh, Rob...........?

Archived