LegacyGT.com

The infamous head gasket

See if the dealership will charge you for inspecting the turbo. Maybe consider having them do it anyway, as you might be able to get that replaced under your warranty too. Also, from my understanding, standard procedure on a head gasket job usually requires a timing job (at least a re-timing after re-assembly of the engine, as the timing components do come off), don't know why you couldn't just supply them with the timing parts if Honda won't cover them. Congrats on the warranty work, I squeezed over $4000 out of my Dealership warranty (Tires, brakes, calipers, and rotors, driver's side mirror, and a few other things).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much what he said ^.

The timing belt kit should be the cost of the parts only. The turbo is laying ona table somewhere see if they can show it to you. Tell them you've never seen one and would like too. Then grab the shaft and check for up/down and in/out play in the shaft.

See if they'll replace the banjo filters or remove them from both heads. You really don't want them in there.

Your exhaust rattle is most lilkely a heat shield. I removed mine years ago, the big one behind the tranny.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I called back subaru and you guys were right all the way... They will only charge me the parts for the timing and they will call me when all the parts will be removed so I can inspect them. Thanks for the tips... I'll ask them to remove the banjo bolts filters then.

Jeff

Good to hear.

Hey see if they'll install a catless up pipe too. Is your's a 05-06 ?

To do that you'll need a 2.2k ohm resistor in the EGT connector to delete it from the system. Radio Shack has them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

05 lgt wagon indeed. I was planning on gutting the cat from the oem up-pipe myself, bolting up the egt sensor hole and putting the 2.2kohm resistor mod to avoid CEL.

http://webpages.charter.net/baraboo_halls/auto/wrx/up/uppipe_fix.html

I'm just not sure I will have enough time to do it before the dealer rebuild the engine. I might also look for a used one at a scrap yard or some place selling used.

Jeff

Found a guy locally that has both a OEM 02 wrx up pipe and an aftermarket one for sale. He said he wanted something like 30$ for the oem and I don't know how much for the aftermarket one. Taking any of them will give me enough time to make sure my up pipe is catless. I'll pick it up tonight.

Jeff

I guess your new here so, here I bolted my turbo on years ago, its much easier to line up everything. Hey may be get a new oil return line too.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

Those bolts came from the dealer, they are the ones that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

Cheap shit is cheap shit. It will fail and you will be replacing it in my guess under 5,000 miles. I would rather pay $50-75 for a sti uppipe I know won't fail so I don't have to climb under the car and reinstall.

Yeah the thing is I won't have time to do the job... the original up pipe is still attached to the exhaust and I can only take a look. The dealer agreed to install another up pipe but I don't have time to gut the oem one... I'll check if i have the weekend to do the job, then it will be another story. The one I bought isn't that cheap neither, its 14 gauge stainless steel, polished all over with stainless flex braided both inside and outside.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GODSPEED-02-07-WRX-STI-GDA-GDB-EJ20-EJ25-TURBO-2-5-STAINLESS-UPPIPE-UP-PIPE-JDM-/390558272305?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aef164b31&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

jeff

I think you'll be fine with the flex pipe one. Go ahead and have them install it. It should last a few years at least.

It may also gave you a little more flexability when installing the tmic.

Archived