LegacyGT.com

Head gasket: Repair or try sealant?

Hello All:

I have a 2005 Legacy GT wagon with 56k miles.

Recently it has been showing high temperatures in the first 10min or so and then coming back to normal temp. The guys at Solid Auto Works in Salt Lake City said it was getting bubbles in the coolant indicating a leaking head gasket.

They said replacing the head gasket would be in the range of $1800-$2000 but suggested that I might want to try the Subaru coolant sealer ($6!).

In searching for information I have read some warnings about how the sealant can lead to heater core failure and cooling problems. Also some say it is a temporary fix which will only postpone replacing the head gasket. Are these valid or old wives tales?

What do you guys think? Go ahead and replace the head gasket properly or try the sealant first?

Thanks,

Jim

I didn't think cylinder to cooling jacket gasket failures were common on this engine. I know the earlier subaru's had oil leaks out of the head gaskets but not too many cooling failures.

I suggest you get a second opinion or pick up a combustion gas tester for your cooling system and test it yourself before replacing head gaskets.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Yep, find a repair shop that has a HC tester. Pay them to tell you if you have hydro carbons in the radiator.

You may also want to think about having the timing belt replaced because it is 10 years old.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, Chevy trucks from the 2004 time had a cracked head problem. The fix is a sealant kit. It cost about $200 to have a shop do the fix but its worked for over a year in my sons chevy V8.

But that's the approved fix for a known issue. These GT's noramlly don't have HG problems.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Don't try any sealant it's a waste and will probably cost more money and time cleaning it up when it doesn't work.

Don't take it to a dealer. They'll f**k you out of all your money.

Solid Auto is one of two places I trust my subie in SLC, the other being Ziptie Dynowerks. Try them for a second opinion, NOT A DEALER.

For example, I took my car to a dealer (Nate Wade. They suck) when I was hearing some strange noises from my dash board. They said initially it was a head gasket failure and that I would need to replace that. Then I got a 'second opinion' from one of the techs there, and they said they didn't know what the issue was, but they'd 'be happy to check and take apart the dash for $1000.'

No.

I asked other people, and they said 'Oh, yeah you just have air bubbles in your coolant. Bleed the coolant system and you're good to go.'

I'd trust Solid, but if you want another opinion, try Despain or Ziptie.

In fact, what you might be experiencing could just be air in the coolant system. Have a shop bleed your coolant system and see if that makes the problems go away, and go from there. Did you replace your water pump/timing belt or anything lately?

FWIW, Chevy trucks from the 2004 time had a cracked head problem. The fix is a sealant kit. It cost about $200 to have a shop do the fix but its worked for over a year in my sons chevy V8.

But that's the approved fix for a known issue. These GT's noramlly don't have HG problems.

I know GM sells cooling system crap specifically to help seal cooling systems. It's standard practice to use it on a lot of LS series engines.

I do not and will not believe anything poured into a cooling system is going to fix a crack in a piece of aluminum.

Maybe the problem was mis-understood with the Chevy truck.

I have had and know a lot of guys with various LS based engines and have never ever personally witnessed a cracked head nor heard of it in my circle of people.

OP, you can buy a hc test kit from napa for ~$50 bucks.

Anyone who has an emissions tester can also do the same with their tailpipe sniffer.

Also as stated above do NOT goto the dealer. They will be pretty worthless with a reasonable test / fix. Find a good indie person who specializes in Subaru's.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

I know GM sells cooling system crap specifically to help seal cooling systems. It's standard practice to use it on a lot of LS series engines.

I do not and will not believe anything poured into a cooling system is going to fix a crack in a piece of aluminum.

OP, you can buy a hc test kit from napa for ~$50 bucks.

Anyone who has an emissions tester can also do the same with their tailpipe sniffer.

We were also not sure it would work, but the fix is for cracked chevy heads in those engines. Its a couple day process, my trusted mechanic has been doing it for years and has developed a better system then the directions. He's had great luck with it.

Thanks guys, message received loud and clear. No sealant will touch my car's engine!

Cheers,

Jim

Don't try any sealant it's a waste and will probably cost more money and time cleaning it up when it doesn't work.

I certainly wouldn't try sealant if the banjo bolt filters are still installed....sounds like a quick way to turbo and engine death trying to do a halfassed repair.

If you've never topped off the coolant system it may be just low. I add coolant twice a year, not much, but the water must evaporate over time.

Thanks for the lead on Ziptie. I know that most people rave about Solid (including the guys at Streamline who work on my wife's Passat). My interaction with Paul was ok but just ok. Could be that a stock station wagon is just not very interesting. Or it could be that he's right and I didn't want to hear it.

I mainly just want confirmation that it really needs a head gasket. IF it does I'll go back to Solid for the repair.

Paul did bleed the system and it did not heat up on the drive home. But he said he saw bubbles forming in the coolant which suggested a head gasket leak.

Thanks for all your input,

Jim

Don't take it to a dealer. They'll f**k you out of all your money.

Solid Auto is one of two places I trust my subie in SLC, the other being Ziptie Dynowerks. Try them for a second opinion, NOT A DEALER.

For example, I took my car to a dealer (Nate Wade. They suck) when I was hearing some strange noises from my dash board. They said initially it was a head gasket failure and that I would need to replace that. Then I got a 'second opinion' from one of the techs there, and they said they didn't know what the issue was, but they'd 'be happy to check and take apart the dash for $1000.'

No.

I asked other people, and they said 'Oh, yeah you just have air bubbles in your coolant. Bleed the coolant system and you're good to go.'

I'd trust Solid, but if you want another opinion, try Despain or Ziptie.

In fact, what you might be experiencing could just be air in the coolant system. Have a shop bleed your coolant system and see if that makes the problems go away, and go from there. Did you replace your water pump/timing belt or anything lately?

You can remove the cap from the turbo cooling tank (when cold) and start the car, watch the coolant in the tank for bubbles ?

To bleed the system you just jack up the right front corner and give the radiator hoses a squeeze every now then with the engine running and heat on high while watching for bubbles in that tank.

Don't do anything big like HG's until your sure you have to. With your low miles...I find it hard to believe you have a issue.

Thanks Max!

I just did this. Here's what happened. When I took off the cap of the turbo tank it was 100% full such that I couldn't even get the cap off without coolant spilling out. Once the cap was off the level was only slightly below the top. I started it and quickly came back to look. The level was down and was foamy as it moved past the opening. Not just a few bubbles but foamy, which seems like it might be a bad sign. What do you think? Anything else I should look at?

Cheers,

Jim

You can remove the cap from the turbo cooling tank (when cold) and start the car, watch the coolant in the tank for bubbles ?

To bleed the system you just jack up the right front corner and give the radiator hoses a squeeze every now then with the engine running and heat on high while watching for bubbles in that tank.

Don't do anything big like HG's until your sure you have to. With your low miles...I find it hard to believe you have a issue.

This generation doesn't usually have head gasket issues, not to mention 2k is far too much to be paying for a head gasket repair. As Max said, try bleeding the system.

Some of the 05s did have HG issues, such as mine. Then again, I'm sure driving habits and maintenance (or lack thereof) is/was a big part of that.

I was quoted $2400 for an HG job at the dealer and a Subaru shop, just FYI.

It can be done at home, but it's not easy.

I pulled my engine out and took it to an independent subaru shop for a head gasket job at 90k. with the machine work on the heads included, it cost me about $750

Archived