LegacyGT.com

Turbo Whine - Is this acceptable?

Hi guys, just had a rebuilt turbo installed and there is a whine while under boost.

Attempted to shoot this video. I've got a 1 year warranty on this turbo. Shop didn't seem overly concerned and called it compressor whine. Stage 2 16.5 target boost.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wSah3YzKrw&feature=youtu.be

Notice it twice when I get on and off the gas.

A whistle is not good. It will make a whine as it spools, but once it get's to a higher pitch whistle, that's metal to metal in my book.

But this one is new, right ?

I'm sure you checked shaft play ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Could be your just being parenoid.... I know mine seems a bit louder recently...when it spools.

But I have the windows down now that it's nice out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Could be your just being parenoid.... I know mine seems a bit louder recently...when it spools.

But I have the windows down now that it's nice out.

You might be right. It just doesn't sound like the one pulled off. There is definitely a louder noise. My wife, shop and I noticed it. A whine or whistle while approaching and holding peak boost. Wind and road noise make it hard to record.

Just concerned I blow this turbo, take out my motor and go insane in the process. This car is so temperamental.

Yes, I total understand, the same thought's are going through my head, we've been around enough to know...

I can't hear anything. Tried headphones and turning it up. The Turbo's do whine a little naturally. Did you get the blade replaced with a different shaped one?

I would think if the blade isn't the same design as OEM the sound might be slightly different and that's what you're hearing?

edit: I kind of hear it. Seems like a whine as it spools up. I hear it at 19- 20 seconds. That's basically what mine does. So maybe both ours are broken :D

I noticed Subaru turbo's are rather whiney & wistle compared to garretts. Once I installed an SS downpipe on my 04 FXT I heard a wistle when I had my windows down. Legacy also seems to be whistling with a STG2 downpipe.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I've logged and I'm getting my 16.5 manifold actual pressure so I'm not leaning towards a leak.

It might be different blade designs. The entire core was rebuilt so maybe it has a different sound profile. The OEM has more of a rattle, this doesn't but has a whine/whistle.

Just wondering if it was cause for concern.

To me a slight whistle is fine. You can hear something similar if you drive next to big rigs with your windows down. An aftermarket DP will accentuate this noise. What's bad is a constant whine/super high pitched whistle that happens even when revving in neutral or driving at low loads.

Oh yea, driving next to the big rig, I remember back in the day with my son and doing that and talking about the sound.

Well the noise difference is because they are not the same turbo.

We pulled of a TD04 and I put on a VF40. Which apparently has a bit more flow and slightly slower spool.

Since the turbo was replaced prior to 59K this is probably why I had a rebuild in my future. :(

Have you tried tightening the two 12mm bolts holding the TMIC to the turbo ?

Mine has been louder the past few days. Took me a while to remember, to tighten the bolts. My front one was about 1/3 to 1/2 a turn loose. I use a 1/4" drive socket so I don't over tighten the aluminum threads.

• 4 years later...
You might be right. It just doesn't sound like the one pulled off. There is definitely a louder noise. My wife, shop and I noticed it. A whine or whistle while approaching and holding peak boost. Wind and road noise make it hard to record.

Just concerned I blow this turbo, take out my motor and go insane in the process. This car is so temperamental.

It's a long shot but when I had my aux plugged in and my.phone charging the interference from the charger made a super weird whine and I thought for sure my turbo was gonna blow.

Archived