LegacyGT.com

Weird Noise Coming From Turbo?

http://youtu.be/4MrTn58XDDY

It's been doing this for a while. My old turbo inlet hose was pretty screwed up at the compressor side, so I installed a new one yesterday. I figured that's what was causing the sound, but apparently it wasn't. I'm thinking it might be an exhaust leak on the top side of the COBB Up I put in recently. When I'm not driving and I rev the engine, the turbo makes a very loud screeching sound, but when I drive, I get the sound in the video when I get into boost. Going to tighten down the up/dp bolts tomorrow, but I figured I'd get some feedback on here as well. I really hope it's not just the blades in the turbo making contact with the housing :(

Did you check for shaft play when you put the DP on ?

did you check for shaft play when you put the inlet on ?

If not you better for you start the car again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well I'd also heard people hearing a screeching noise when their up pipe flanges were leaking, and there really didn't seem to be enough play for the blades to make contact. Gonna pull the dp tomorrow and check either way. Really can't afford any more problems with this car at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

other than a loose bolt, why would the exhaust or up pipe flange start leaking.

Wouldn't you hear that all the time ? That's an exhaust leak.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Well I installed an aftermarket up, so I thought maybe it could be a loose bolt or something. I've already pulled the banjo filters and I change my oil every 3000 on the dot. The turbo has less than 5k miles on it. If it is the turbo, I must have something major going on elsewhere.

Hoping for your sake that it's not what I said it is, but unfortunately, I think that's going to be the issue. When you are on boost, you have to remember that the exhaust feeding the turbine is pushing very hard and that gives more movement on the shaft when everything is hot than you can physically make with your fingertip.

Again, I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Good luck.

Let's hope so. Probably gonna pull the OCVs out tomorrow as well just to see if those need to be replaced. Until it's fixed, I'll continue driving like a grandma. It's no fun :( worst case scenario I can probably find a lightly used VF40 on here for like 300 bucks or so. Hopefully.

• Moderators

Why is the sound pulsing like that though? Seems an odd sound for turbines scraping the housing which I would think would be more constant, especially if the noise has been going on for a while.

Possible wastegate issue? Actuator?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yeah it's very odd. When idling, the car kinda squeals when boost comes on after revving the engine, which is the exact sound most people that have a leaky up pipe gasket claim to hear. Then when I drive and get into boost, it makes that sound. I figured if it was the turbo dying, it would've died already. Plus, no CELs and no weird jolts or loss of power. Plus, it never made that sound before I put the up pipe on. I did check the actuator but it seemed to be opening normally. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow.

• Moderators
Yeah it's very odd. When idling, the car kinda squeals when boost comes on after revving the engine, which is the exact sound most people that have a leaky up pipe gasket claim to hear. Then when I drive and get into boost, it makes that sound. I figured if it was the turbo dying, it would've died already. Plus, no CELs and no weird jolts or loss of power. Plus, it never made that sound before I put the up pipe on. I did check the actuator but it seemed to be opening normally. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow.

If it made no noise, and then you installed an up pipe, and then it started making noise--it's probably the up pipe.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Also just noticed that when I hit around 2500rpms I can hear the turbo spooling normally. Sounds really nice actually. Just messed around a bit and didn't hear the sound at all. Seems to occur about 85% of the time the turbo spools.

@barmanbean, that's what I've been thinking but I don't really know enough about cars to trust myself so I posted it on here.

Drop the UP and run your fingertip around your exhaust turbine and see if there is a metal residue on your fingertip. If so, then it's most likely hitting. If not, then I would really suspect the DP of having an issue-possibly a tiny pinhole that could allow a whistle leak. I will say that I've had tons of turbos apart and usually, it's the turbine touching the cast iron exhaust housing that makes a screeching noise and when you can make it come and go with throttle, then I would think you've some excessive play happening inside.

UPDATE: Took it to my buddy's shop, dropped the up and dp, shaft play was very minimal and the blades looked fine. I had just checked the blades on the inlet side the other day and they were fine as well. Had a pinhole in one of the small vacuum lines coming off the turbo, (the one with the restrictor pill in it), so I replaced both of them. Bolted everything back together and made sure to very evenly tighten the up this time.

Now when I first go out and drive it after starting it up, I let the engine warm up sufficiently then I get into boost. At first, it screeches a little bit, but any time after that I get no sound at all. The turbo spools up nicely and the car fires off like a rocket. Before, it was making the noise any time I got into boost. So I'm thinking that tightening down the up pipe may have remedied the issue at least a little bit. I've heard a few people having trouble getting aftermarket up pipes without a flex joint to fit correctly, and I think this may be my problem.

I need to replace the little 3-way lines that go into the turbo before I can drive it again..

Can soneone explain and possibly post a pic of which line has the "pill" in it please?

Edit: Also, what kind of hose would you guys suggest for this, and also would you guys suggest stainless steel or copper T fittings?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I need to replace the little 3-way lines that go into the turbo before I can drive it again..

Can soneone explain and possibly post a pic of which line has the "pill" in it please?

Edit: Also, what kind of hose would you guys suggest for this, and also would you guys suggest stainless steel or copper T fittings?

Thanks for the help in advance!

See the sticky in the Turbo Powertrains section for vacuum line diagrams, including where the boost restrictor pill goes.

As for the T-fitting -- do you mean the one under the TMIC? If so, you should PM Turkeylord, as he has little replacement T-fittings for sale for a great price.

See the sticky in the Turbo Powertrains section for vacuum line diagrams, including where the boost restrictor pill goes.

As for the T-fitting -- do you mean the one under the TMIC? If so, you should PM Turkeylord, as he has little replacement T-fittings for sale for a great price.

No, and no one seems to know what I'm talking about haha. It's on the very front of the turbo, facing the front of the car coming off the compressor housing...http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/goosesrh/VF40Turbo_zps2686d25c.jpg

Pill goes on the turbo compressor side-NOT on the wastegate actuator side.

Thanks :D So, what size are those hoses there so I get the right size T fitting to replace that sh*tty plastic one?

The auto parts store guy should be able to help you with size.

Or.....take a old piece with you and match it up....

Read post 20. the second picture in the thread shows where the pill goes.

No, and no one seems to know what I'm talking about haha. It's on the very front of the turbo, facing the front of the car coming off the compressor housing...http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/goosesrh/VF40Turbo_zps2686d25c.jpg

I'm trying to get a set of 2 or 3 T fittings for these lines.. I really can't say what size they are, would I be safe in assuming they are 1/8 size?

Archived