LegacyGT.com

CBE recommendations

When I had upgraded EL headers installed by my tuner, he recommended that I install a freer-flowing cat-back exhaust to free-up TQ and HQ throughout the power-band. He said it was really constraining the power output on my build throughout the band. He recommended the Invidia Q300. I've done some research and while the Q300 sounded like a good solution, I have concerns regarding noise level and cabin drone. I wanted to get some input from other folks on the following for the four CBEs listed below:

a) Overall noise level

b) Cabin "drone"

c) Power gains (low, mid and top-end)

d) Quality

- Invidia Q300

- Borla

- SPT

- AVO

My powertrain build is:

2005 OBXT

Cobb CAI w/ box

Cobb Up/Down (catted)

Perrin EL headers (regular)

Perrin TMIC

COB 3-port EBS solenoid

VF52

ID 850cc injectors

GFB B.O.V.

Thanks -

• Moderators

Noise is tough in a wagon. I tried just the nameless ABE w/ 5" muffler on my OBXT (stock mid/y and catted cobb dp) and it was pretty loud at lower RPMs.

You may just find that you need to weld an extra muffler into whatever you end up choosing. Also, you'll likely need to modify your bumper if you go with an LGT-spec CBE.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

quality wise, the nicest looking exhaust I have seen is the Nameless Performance. But "noise level" may be an issue.

Yeah, I tried their 4" muffled axle-backs once and they were way noisy and the drone was bad.

I can live w/ noise to some degree, and even drone, it just has to be reasonable.

there are more knowledgeable members out there that i'm hoping will chime in on this, but with your mods i don't think your stock cat-back is a major limiting factor to be concerned with. there are people running well over 350hp to the wheels on the stock exhaust. $/hp gains just aren't there, unless that's not an issue to you.

there are more knowledgeable members out there that i'm hoping will chime in on this, but with your mods i don't think your stock cat-back is a major limiting factor to be concerned with. there are people running well over 350hp to the wheels on the stock exhaust. $/hp gains just aren't there, unless that's not an issue to you.

Thanks. I have a 5EAT and I'm at 238 wHP and 278 wTQ (CA 91, on a Mustang dyno). Curious as to what else I could be doing to get more out of it.

well the short answer would be E85. what's your budget?

Willing to pay $1k for the exhaust. To go E85 I would have to upgrade my injectors to 1000cc + top feed, which I think would cost quite a bit more than that (when you include the cost for the install).

E85 can be done for $1k based on your current mod list. I'm not sure what a top feed conversion costs but new injectors are ~$500, fuel pump ~$150, tune $200. another thing to keep in the back of your mind is an upgraded clutch (if you haven't already). i'm just throwing numbers out there... but conservatively you'll spend $1k to run E85 and gain potentially 30-50hp. or spend $1k on an exhaust and gain maybe 5-10hp. your choice.

OR, you sink some money into upgraded suspension/brakes.

E85 can be done for $1k based on your current mod list. I'm not sure what a top feed conversion costs but new injectors are ~$500, fuel pump ~$150, tune $200. another thing to keep in the back of your mind is an upgraded clutch (if you haven't already). i'm just throwing numbers out there... but conservatively you'll spend $1k to run E85 and gain potentially 30-50hp. or spend $1k on an exhaust and gain maybe 5-10hp. your choice.

OR, you sink some money into upgraded suspension/brakes.

Very good points. My only hesitancy on going E85 is switching from E85 to 91 and back. I won't always be in a position to fill up w/ E85 and I'm concerned about impact on the engine if I'm switching back and forth a lot. Also, I think the top feed conversion is a material cost.

I have an auto, so my only upgrade option is the Hexmods VB.

I've already upgraded the suspension/brakes quite a bit, so the car can handle the extra power.

Willing to pay $1k for the exhaust. To go E85 I would have to upgrade my injectors to 1000cc + top feed, which I think would cost quite a bit more than that (when you include the cost for the install).
Your mod list shows ID850s, which means you already did the top feed conversion. I also doubt that you need bigger than 850cc injectors for a VF52 + E85.

Your mod list shows ID850s, which means you already did the top feed conversion. I also doubt that you need bigger than 850cc injectors for a VF52 + E85.

Sorry - they are DWs. Those are side feed: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/DeatschWerks-Fuel-Injectors-Side-Feed-850cc-Subaru-STI-2004-2006-Legacy-GT-2005-2006

My tuner said he doesn't recommend going E85 w/o at least 1000cc injectors.

I will vote for the SPT, mainly because I have it and can vouch for it's quality, fit, and sound. It isn't the loudest exhaust out there by far, but there is no drone at highway speeds. I recently did a 500 mile round trip and I have no complaints about interior noise. At cruising speeds, mashing down on the throttle awakens a nice roar from the exhaust that is very pleasing to the ear. Otherwise, very civil.

If you are installing any of the LGT specific exhausts onto your Outback, longer hangers will help the tips clear the bumper. I have the Cartboy XL hangers and my tips are still pressed firmly against the rear reinforcement. Oh, and you will want to cut away the bumper cover that is hanging in front of the tips.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/danteomni/Car%20Pics/OBK/IMAG0400_zps1rl3pmqh.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/danteomni/Car%20Pics/OBK/IMAG0398_zpsicodtjcd.jpg

That happened during said trip and said WOT runs :spin:

But with all that said, the exhaust really is just for sound/looks. Stock is fine for the low 300hp range.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I will vote for the SPT, mainly because I have it and can vouch for it's quality, fit, and sound.

Unfortunately the SPT is no longer available. If I do a CBE at this point I would go w/ the Q300. The AVO is $1200, and I don't think I can justify that amount when the Q300 goes for $720.

It's not too restraining depending on the amount of HP/TQ you're going for. Just ask Dave from CryoTune Performance "cryo". His Spec B he used the stock catback and was able to dyno 354whp and 450 wtq....it's quiet too :)

Mustang or Dynojet?

Unfortunately the SPT is no longer available. If I do a CBE at this point I would go w/ the Q300. The AVO is $1200, and I don't think I can justify that amount when the Q300 goes for $720.

Where did you hear that? They are still available, 3 will be arriving in the Portland PDC this week. Part # SOA3881110...MSRP $1095.00

Just to give you another option.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Mustang or Dynojet?

Just stumbled upon this.

My old LGT hit 350hp+ on the superflow 880 I currently tune on and a dyno dynamics AWD 450DS about 8 months apart. A stock LGT runs about 185-205 on both dynos respectively.

The big changes were torque as the tune was changed in the mean time and hit 396tq on the superflow and 439tq on the dyno dynamics running more boost in the midrange and a little more aggressive settings across the board.

I will admit that the catback was probably a fair restriction at those levels but I was not willing to change the timid nature of the car during daily driving. That car was built to look like a regular commuter with a nasty bite when I got on it.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Just stumbled upon this.

My old LGT hit 350hp+ on the superflow 880 I currently tune on and a dyno dynamics AWD 450DS about 8 months apart. A stock LGT runs about 185-205 on both dynos respectively.

The big changes were torque as the tune was changed in the mean time and hit 396tq on the superflow and 439tq on the dyno dynamics running more boost in the midrange and a little more aggressive settings across the board.

I will admit that the catback was probably a fair restriction at those levels but I was not willing to change the timid nature of the car during daily driving. That car was built to look like a regular commuter with a nasty bite when I got on it.

Dave

Dave - thanks. Very helpful. I'm @ 238 whp and 278 wtq on a Mustang. What do you think those numbers would equate to on a Superflow/Dyno Dynamics? Keep in mind I've got a 5EAT that was tested in 3rd gear, so those numbers should be adjusted up about 10%.

Dave - thanks. Very helpful. I'm @ 238 whp and 278 wtq on a Mustang. What do you think those numbers would equate to on a Superflow/Dyno Dynamics? Keep in mind I've got a 5EAT that was tested in 3rd gear, so those numbers should be adjusted up about 10%.

The last couple stage 2 5EAT ran about 215-225hp on the superflow, a stage 2 5speed LGT hits about 230-245hp. A vf52 5eat is about 245-255.

Dave

*edited for reading the first page*

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

The last couple stage 2 5EAT ran about 215-225hp on the superflow, a stage 2 5speed LGT hits about 230-245hp. A vf52 5eat is about 245-255.

Dave

*edited for reading the first page*

Dave

Thanks. That correlates pretty closely then with my VF52 on the Mustang. What did you do to get up to 350HP?

Archived