LegacyGT.com

05 Sti brakes

A friend of mine is offering me 05 sti brakes to do his clutch on a 88 4runner. :)

obviously i am going to do this job considering they are worth 1200ish but i have no clue if they will even fit on my 97. abs master cyl everything good and easy I hope. Can anyone steer me in a direction of thread or have any info on this?

Don't bother.

You have to change the whole hub system front and rear, use 114.3 rims and at least 17" tires to make it work. May be some other things you have to do also.

Just take them and sell it.

O.

My wheels are good. 17in 5 lug universal. The 04 sti. They are 5x100 right. I'm not sure if the 04 sti calipers are different than the 05 but the brake rotor is. Maybe I can get 04 rotors and make some kind of bracket to support the bigger size??? Any in sight on that idea. The look of the gold sti brakes is to die for. And the way I drive my Wagon the extra braking power would be very handy

• Moderators

STi calipers across the years are generally the same (except for 08+ rear calipers, those are different). If calipers will mount up (no idea for 2nd gens, honestly), they will mount up regardless of whether or not they come from a 5x100 STi or a 5x114 STi. The rotors, however...you would definitely need rotors for an '04 STi as they are 5x100.

Just because you have 17in wheels (or even larger) does not mean they will clear brembos.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just because you have 17in wheels (or even larger) does not mean they will clear brembos.

I know but I do "think" mine will work. Not to worried about that. Maybe I can drill the rotors to support 5×100. I'm cheap handy and good at it.

• Moderators
I would think that you could "dual drill" the rotors if you know what your doing--not 100% though. Honestly I don't eff with things like brakes though. IMO if you can't afford to get rotors that fit then you shouldn't be installing a BBK. If the brakes on your car fail that's a pretty serious issue. I would rather blow a motor than have my brakes fail and wreck the car, possibly injuring myself and/or others.

yeah but I'm not too worried I think I could drill safely. a little off topic but I believe if you think negative about it you're outCome will be negative. and someone has to take the risk or we will never know.

I will give you guys an update when I pick them up and do some measurements and experimenting.

have faith Friends.

• Moderators
a little off topic but I believe if you think negative about it you're outCome will be negative. and someone has to take the risk or we will never know.

Positive thinking won't save your life or that of others if your brakes fail.

And that's a fairly ignorant view of assuming risk, IMO. Assuming a risk just because no one else will do it or because you "won't know otherwise" is uhhh...questionable. Your call tho, just be careful and be prepared to assume the consequences of whatever you choose to do.

I think it can save my life. I believe our thoughts make our Reality. One of my favorite topics but for a different Forum. I appreciate what you guys have to say and I take it into consideration. even if you don't believe I'm sure we all would like this idea to workout. I'll let u know

yeah but I'm not too worried I think I could drill safely. a little off topic but I believe if you think negative about it you're outCome will be negative. and someone has to take the risk or we will never know.

have faith Friends.

Faith, :lol: :lol:

This is not smart, the braking force of these cars from 40 to 0 in an emergency (<5seconds) is over 5000N on just stock calipers. and you're going to drill into a cast Iron rotor to completely compromise it's structural integrity..

• Moderators
Faith, :lol: :lol:

This is not smart, the braking force of these cars from 40 to 0 in an emergency (<5seconds) is over 5000N on just stock calipers. and you're going to drill into a cast Iron rotor to completely compromise it's structural integrity..

Don't you worry. He has super powers :rolleyes:

I don't care about your philosophical beliefs about drilling into a rotor. You're talking to an engineer who understands physics very well and knows that you will be compromising structural integrity and therefore safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived