LegacyGT.com

best solution to fix manifold to invidia solid uppipe exhaust leak

I changed almost all exhaust gaskets a couple of weeks ago with OEM ones and it is still leaking a bit and stinks at the manifold to uppipe gasket :mad:. I've been reading on the interwebz that these uppipes are prone to leak at that location because they are solid. Some says solution is just to use a flex one. Some experimented with various gaskets but I can't find a clear cut solution..

Thoughts :redface:?

most of the time you'll be able to locate an exhaust leak as there will be black soot 'seeping' out of the leak location (assuming it is in a weld).

If you know the leak is in the gasket/joint location, just get yourself a grimmspeed 2X thick gasket, or a Remflex crush type gasket. I have had great luck with either, but prefer the Remflex typically.

most of the time you'll be able to locate an exhaust leak as there will be black soot 'seeping' out of the leak location (assuming it is in a weld).

If you know the leak is in the gasket/joint location, just get yourself a grimmspeed 2X thick gasket, or a Remflex crush type gasket. I have had great luck with either, but prefer the Remflex typically.

Yeah I troubleshooted the leak and it is indeed at the gasket/joint location (again). The old gasket was like 'eaten' away at one corner btw... Leaking at the same spot.

Then I may give it a try to remflex. Will look them up..

That's one of the disadvantages with the soild UP. Here are a couple of ideas that have worked for me.

1. Use 2 oem gaskets

2. Using 1 oem gasket, take a flat head screwdriver and flare the gasket, seperating each layer. This will allow the gasket a more crushable area when tightening the bolts down.

My wife's balls are delicious.

To add one more, which I've done on another exhaust connection, is to sand down the tight side of the matting surfaces (flanges). Placing the 2 flanges together (w/o a gasket), determine where the highest gap is. Then sand down the low side allowing more room for the flange to mat up better.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Never had a problem with my Invidia solid up pipe to stock manifold.

Have you verified the surface is flat, on both the manifold and up pipe ?

I did have a smell leak at the Invidia DP to stock midpipe till I had Mike (m sprank) send me the grimmspeed 2x thick 3" x two bolt gasket.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=grimmspeed%202x%20gasket

m sprank may have a cheaper price, check with him before you buy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the input guys. I may try some of your suggestions. Mine's been leaking where the arrow is pointing on the attached pic btw.

Max Cap, no I have not verified if the mating surfaces were flat.

Subaru-OEM-Lower-Uppipe-Gasket_8211.thumb.jpg.dde6920085380ef2eb36d91dc783a29d.jpg

I had an Invidia UP and it was so far off at the manifold that it would never seal. I made custom gaskets out of maleable copper .093" thick, made them out of header gasket material, combined 2, 3, even 4 gaskets, and because the pipe was so poorly made, it would never even line up correctly.

Invidia stood behind it...NOT EVER ! ! I took about a dozen photos of how badly it was made (about 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other) at the flange and they basically shrugged it off and said they would sell me a new one at 20% off. Like I would ever buy another thing from them.

My advice is to dump the piece of crap, buy a Grimmspeed or even a stock STi, put it on, not have leaks anymore, walk away dusting off your hands, and boost on.

• 1 month later...

Archived