LegacyGT.com

RCE Tarmac 1

Th3Franz

• 3 months later...

I just looked at my old PM's where I purchased them. KAOS thought they were fine and didn't need a rebuild, and he also thought they were 400/400

should be a better ride than my BC/BR with pillow ball hard top hats VS the RCE and the spec B rubber top hats

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow :) side note. RCE T1s feel absolutely wonderful on the recommended daily settings. Had them sitting in the garage since last winter and really regret not installing them on earlier...

what are the recommended daily settings?

• 6 months later...
Have any of you run the mixed 400f/500r setup? I ordered new springs in this config. I can't wait to get them on the car.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Actually, I just got in some rear swift springs as well. So same 400f/500r rates. I'm hoping it will improve the push that I seem to always be fighting.

BTW, what sway bars are you running?

I'm running 22f/20r white line bars.

I went with the 500lb rears after a conversation with Myles. I thought that the rears felt under sprung. He explained to me that because of the Multilink design it would cause a little more action than the front strut style. The heavier spring would help that, and aid turn-in.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Just so you guys know, there is a point where you need to leave the rear spring alone and only increase the front rates.

the cars roll stiffness need to be at the front of the car, more than the rear. For those of you who think they are under-steering, and already have the right tires, a larger bar up front with some toe out and more negative camber will help turn in.

yes, if you look at it on its own. but when you take the whole chassis in to account. you want more stiffness at the front. to make up some numbers as an example... if the rear spring rate is 400 and on the multilink, the effective rate at the wheel is 325(this is a made up number). So a 400/400 isnt technically balanced, but that's ok since you want more roll stiffness at the front. For people running a 400/500 will have a more balanced rate accross the car, but since most of the weight and roll/dive occurs at the front, that may be the incorrect ratio for proper grip balance.

When i had my legacy, i was running a 650F/700R setup for autox. Sounds super stiff right? But the balance was wrong. The rear should have stayed at 500lb to allow some compliance to keep the wheels on the ground. the rear was way to stiff and i had to run no rear bar to compensate because not enough weight transfer was occurring to maximize grip. i learned the hard way that these cars want more stiffness at the front than at the rear, but with a stiff enough rear that you dont lift a front wheel on acceleration out of a turn.

• Moderators
I know that with 400/400s and 25mmF/22mmR sway bars (hollow) I lifted a rear wheel at boxerfest autox. I'm inexperienced and a shitty driver, so maybe I can prevent that in the future by improving the driver input, but from my understanding stiffening up the rear springs would only make the issue worse?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

yes. you lifted the rear wheel because the front springs are too soft. the car dove and pivoted over the inside front/outside rear wheel on to the outside front wheel. because you have a stiff bar in the back, the inside rear was prevented from drooping to keep the wheel on the ground. So you can either run less bar in the rear, or more spring force in the front. I would also soften the rebound of the shock in the rear to help get that inside rear wheel to rebound faster, but that will only be a band-aid. the best thing would be to increase the front spring to 500lb or even 550lb to control forward weight transfer.

This is all assuming your tires are adequate.

• Moderators
yes. you lifted the rear wheel because the front springs are too soft. the car dove and pivoted over the inside front/outside rear wheel on to the outside front wheel. because you have a stiff bar in the back, the inside rear was prevented from drooping to keep the wheel on the ground. So you can either run less bar in the rear, or more spring force in the front. I would also soften the rebound of the shock in the rear to help get that inside rear wheel to rebound faster, but that will only be a band-aid. the best thing would be to increase the front spring to 500lb or even 550lb to control forward weight transfer.

This is all assuming your tires are adequate.

My tires probably stick for actual track time or even autocross (235 MPSSs). I may or may not remedy that--dedicated track wheels/tires would mean 3 full sets for an Outback that has done two events in the last 12 months :) If I think it's possible to do at least a few events a year I'll upgrade tires I guess.

• Moderators
dont need track wheels/tires. just change out the MPSS's for Bridgestone RE-71R. They are the bee's knees and a 200tw street tire. So they will last a year or 2

Also considering something like that when the MPSSs wear out.

• 1 year later...
^only a shock dyno will verify that. short of a full seal blow-out, you probably are experiencing a damping force change due to wear, and are just driving around it. at that mileage id send them regardless of what i thought i was feeling.

Archived