LegacyGT.com

Help a brotha out! Need a turbo. Right meow

Had some catastrophic failure with my turbo. I have an 05 LGT, pretty much stock. Turbo is making a horrible noise and there's a ton of metal shavings in my oil. Looking to buy a replacement turbo. Don't care if it's a 40, 52. Whatever. Need my daily back.

• Moderators
Sorry to be the bearer of bad new here, but if there are metal shavings in your oil you will need a lot more than just a replacement turbo. Installing a new turbo now will just result in that turbo being destroyed as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Draining the fluids and running a purge isn't enough, you're going to want to drop the pan and clean it. I mean, you aren't going to want to, unless you're a glutton for punishment (which I'm beginning to think is a prerequisite for owning these cars), but if you don't you'll be chasing CEL's while various components go bad for the indefinite future.

JBear- Thanks man. I'm a converted Honda guy, only had the car for a month. These things are a pain in the ass. I haven't even looked at the up pipe yet so I'm not sure how far I got to go. I know the banjo bolt filters need to come out as well. Never ending.......

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

The smart way is a new ej257 short block, new oil cooler and pump, have a good machine shop rebuild the heads and clean everything before they reassemble the long block.

see my click here link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fl-fresh-703-series-ej257-short-block-224040.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

The smart way is a new ej257 short block, new oil cooler and pump, have a good machine shop rebuild the heads and clean everything before they reassemble the long block.

see my click here link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fl-fresh-703-series-ej257-short-block-224040.html

Bump for RiderDude's shortblocks -- Brand new shit, saves a couple hundred bucks. ($1645 for a brand new SB from Subaru!)

Max's got it right, and I'm one that's followed the recipe. (Or, plan, I guess? Well, only kinda.)

You want some serious, mad crazy, hellajdmtyteyo Subi cred? Jump in and start rebuilding! Get a new stock sb and gasket set, get the heads done, get a new or rebuilt turbo, timing gear and belt, oil cooler and pump, and you'll be set to go for another 100k of shit-eating grins and no major mechanical work.

In realistic terms, you're gonna need at least 4k, a garage with tools, and at least a month of time from teardown to restart - Just FYI.

Mr. tris....brilliant thread on your rebuild..

May I pose a question..Could there be an inherent defect in 4th generation Subaru's turbos or is it simply a matter of say over exuberant driving styles or simply the complexity and Uber running speed of the turbo.Many a thread has been here including one by yours truly on this very subject.

I am a somewhat laid back driver and really call upon its abilities on interstates when passing 18 wheelers who when going 80 I can pass them effortlessly.Thats enjoyable.

Problem is many like me having no garage /space/tools/yes knowledge to do our own work we find ourselves at mercy of the dealership at $70 per hour labor charges and the other wrongs they will undoubtedly find.. what's the solution..one is finding a local reliable mechanic knowledgable about those turbo equipped cars easier said then done.

It's a renewable theme that Any usable info is appreciated.Im lucky in that if something's appears on the horizon AZP installs will be called upon..and I thank the gods for that.

That's it...

Yep owners need to find a good repair shop and stay with them. I've said that a over the years.

I'm lucky too. I have been with the same shops for over 20 years. Repair shop, machine shop, body shop and tranny guy. I have sent a number of people to them all over the years. The benefits of knowing them is priceless.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived