LegacyGT.com

Need help please!

Why? You'll maybe save a couple hundred bucks, if that. New SB from Heuberger, with gasket kit, is $2081 shipped to your door. Headwork is ~$400, probably less, in your case.

You'll need new timing gear -- ~$400

New oil pump ~$150

Oil Cooler ~$200

New Oil Pickup ~$20-$175

That's just the basics -- there will be things along the way that you'll want to replace/upgrade, too.

So if I have a budget of say $7500 what all parts would I need for new stuff? Ive never built a motor before, but I can learn. Will that much money cover everything I need to get it running?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucky for me, my Dealer gives me the same price as the on line places. Makes it very easy. I made sure and said Hi to the Parts guys at WBM last Sunday.

Dropped your block... makes me cringe....

OP, where did you say you live ?

Lafayette, IN ironically where the Subaru plant is.

So if I have a budget of say $7500 what all parts would I need for new stuff? Ive never built a motor before, but I can learn. Will that much money cover everything I need to get it running?

Yes, easily! Heck, for that price, you could find a shop to do it for you. (Although, I have this fleeting suspicion that Subaru Specialty shops don't exist in Lafayette.. ?)

With all my mods, I'm still under what I had planned on spending, which was upward of 5k. 7500 will get you basically, a brand new car.

For that price, you can fetch a new Cobb catted dp, rebuilt turbo, fuel injector service (or new injectors), plus timing gear, belt, water pump, oil pump and cooler, plus a few upgraded "goodies" along the way.

Yes, easily! Heck, for that price, you could find a shop to do it for you. (Although, I have this fleeting suspicion that Subaru Specialty shops don't exist in Lafayette.. ?)

With all my mods, I'm still under what I had planned on spending, which was upward of 5k. 7500 will get you basically, a brand new car.

For that price, you can fetch a new Cobb catted dp, rebuilt turbo, fuel injector service (or new injectors), plus timing gear, belt, water pump, oil pump and cooler, plus a few upgraded "goodies" along the way.[/quote.

No, no special Subaru shops around here. I got a quote from a local shop and they wanted 10k to take the old motor out and put a used one in with a new turbo. I said no to that, and I'm thinking of doing it myself. We have some people that work for us that build motors. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, or just getting someone to assemble the motor for me.

If you have the a place to work on the car and friend that you can feed that will help. Then yes, buy a ej257 and gasket set for your year car, find a great machine shop and like I did, pay them to take the old head off, rebuild them and then assemble them onto the new block with the timing belt kit, oil pan with new oil pick up, may be even the oil cooler crossover to new oil cooler.

When you take the intake manifold off do what I did, lift the manifold and TGV's as a unit. Read my click here link.

If you have a plan it should all go easy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When you take the intake manifold off do what I did, lift the manifold and TGV's as a unit. Read my click here link.

If you have a plan it should all go easy.

Stick to that one-piece intake mani idea. I took mine apart and it's a nightmare to put back after it's been sitting for awhile.

Stick to that one-piece intake mani idea. I took mine apart and it's a nightmare to put back after it's been sitting for awhile.

No, the oil cooler is the gold cylinder piece that you screw the oil filter onto.

Okay, I got a list from import image racing. This is what they set me up with.

http://www.importimageracing.com/vigilant-motorsports-street-series-short-block-wrx-sti.html

this shortblock

factory gasket set

arp head studs

11mm oil pump Subaru

Gates timing kit with water pump

Ihi vf52 turbo

Well, What're your goals? What do you want from the car? I personally don't think you'll really need a $2900 block, but that's just me. I think your money could be better spent elsewhere.

Well, might as well build a motor than can tolerate power a little better. For the extra $900 I'll get better internals than in a stock block. I want to make a little more than 270whp and wtq

Okay, I got a list from import image racing. This is what they set me up with.

http://www.importimageracing.com/vigilant-motorsports-street-series-short-block-wrx-sti.html

this shortblock

factory gasket set

arp head studs

11mm oil pump Subaru

Ihi vf52 turbo

Factory STi shortblock AND gasket kit is $2081 to your door. For $800 more, all you're really getting is forged pistons. Doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

Remember, not every Joe can drop pistons into a performance Subaru motor and have it last. I would definitely seek out people who are running that motor and see how they're doing with it. I don't think I've heard of anyone running that particular block.

ARP head studs are less than $200 on Amazon right now. Somehow, I don't think IIR has a better price. You need the 260-4701 kit.

11mm STi Oil pump is ~$100 on Amazon. Again, I don't think their price is competitive. ($50 more)

Gates kit is also less than $200 on Amazon. IIR is nearly twice that.

Subaru PN 14411AA800 (VF52) by itself is a great upgrade. At this point, you really won't need the other injectors, but the GSS342 is a great idea. Should be about $85 anywhere online.

Like I said, I think you can do better for the money and come in a little under what you were quoted for the same stuff.

Well, might as well build a motor than can tolerate power a little better. For the extra $900 I'll get better internals than in a stock block. I want to make a little more than 270whp and wtq

Right, but again, you're only getting forged pistons out of that deal. And actually, you're paying a little more than $1000 for them because that price is about $800 more than a stock block AND a gasket kit.

Factory STi shortblock AND gasket kit is $2081 to your door. For $800 more, all you're really getting is forged pistons. Doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

Remember, not every Joe can drop pistons into a performance Subaru motor and have it last. I would definitely seek out people who are running that motor and see how they're doing with it. I don't think I've heard of anyone running that particular block.

ARP head studs are less than $200 on Amazon right now. Somehow, I don't think IIR has a better price. You need the 260-4701 kit.

11mm STi Oil pump is ~$100 on Amazon. Again, I don't think their price is competitive. ($50 more)

Gates kit is also less than $200 on Amazon. IIR is nearly twice that.

Subaru PN 14411AA800 (VF52) by itself is a great upgrade. At this point, you really won't need the other injectors, but the GSS342 is a great idea. Should be about $85 anywhere online.

Like I said, I think you can do better for the money and come in a little under what you were quoted for the same stuff.

It is supposed to be a good Bang for buck upgraded block. Seems to have some positive reviews for anyone running a Vigilant Short Block. I think the final price that quoted me at was around $4700 delivered for everything on that list.

Pistons like those run about $500.

What your paying for is the labor to install them.

FWIW, 37,000 miles on my stock ej257 at 21psi.

BTW, there's an old saying...."it's all in the tune".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Pistons like those run about $500.

What your paying for is the labor to install them.

FWIW, 37,000 miles on my stock ej257 at 21psi.

BTW, there's an old saying...."it's all in the tune".

Too right you are, Max!

I didn't have a chance to draft a response about how with a good tune, he can see the numbers he wants on a stock block.

Yep my 280whp feel like more then that. Mine get's driven, it's not babied. Most of the highway miles at at 68-74mph. But backroads, is where it sees redline. Well ok sometimes redline in 3rd gear entering the highway. In 4th I let off about 110mph, then coast for a long way's...:)

• 5 months later...

^^^^^^ THIS. I just got mine back together after taking in completely apart. Although, this allowed me to clean EVERYTHING.

Also, opt for the new factory short-block. I just rebuilt my short-block, and I now know it would be worth every penny you save not having to deal with a Machine Shop, etc.

Pull the oil pan. If it looks like mine did, welcome to the club. Start a build thread and begin! :spin:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261.html?&highlight=chronicles

^^^^^^ THIS. I just got mine back together after taking in completely apart. Although, this allowed me to clean EVERYTHING.

Also, opt for the new factory short-block. I just rebuilt my short-block, and I now know it would be worth every penny you save not having to deal with a Machine Shop, etc.

Pull the oil pan. If it looks like mine did, welcome to the club. Start a build thread and begin! :spin:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261.html?&highlight=chronicles

If the people above aren't good I guess I will do it myself. Who did you have resurface your heads? Also here is my list incase I have to assemble myself.

05-06 legacy gt gasket set.

EJ257B STI short block

STI oil pump

Arp head studs 260-4701

If the people above aren't good I guess I will do it myself. Who did you have resurface your heads? Also here is my list incase I have to assemble myself.

05-06 legacy gt gasket set.

EJ257B STI short block

STI oil pump

Arp head studs 260-4701

That's pretty much everything you need to assemble it yourself.

As for the SB, you need PN 10103AC030, 040, or 050 -- Different iterations in crankshaft over the model years. All are pretty much the same, though.

I personally optedfor the 030, as it's got the sexy black nitrided crankshaft.

Archived