LegacyGT.com

Oil Filter Change

I had been using the PureOne PL14612 in my 05 LGT as this was the recommended filter. I recently checked on the PureOil site and they have it listed as a PL14615 now. Can't find that filter anywhere locally. Almost no info on it. In their listing of "What It Fits" it still shows the PL14612 as fitting the 2005-2007 Legacy Turbo.

Anyone know if there has been a change? Should I continue using the PL14612? Would rather ask the questions and be safe rather than be sorry later.

Any help/info would be appreciated!

Happy Easter!

Buy these : http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-rx8-oil-filter.html

This: These Mazda Tokyo Roki filters are 100% identical to the ones Subaru used to import from Japan (before the switch to Honeywell):

http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...Filters/Detail

Made in Japan, proper filtering, bypass specs desired by Subaru engineers, I looked at the PureOne and did a bunch of research, I use, Rotella T6 5w-40 and the Tokyo Roki's have been for a while. GL

Get the 14615 if you can find it, if not use the 14612 without any worries. The 14615 is a newer filter from purolator which has subarus 23psi bypass valve spec, whereas the 14612 has a bypass valve spec of 14-18psi.

The higher the bypass valve spec, the longer the filter waits to let oil bypass the filter media.

I prefer to use oem subaru filters or another filter that has the 23psi bypass spec. With that said, I'm currently running a regular purolator 14612 since I got a few of them as part of a Black Friday oil change deal at pep boys.

Personally I disagree with using the rx-8 filters. From what I've read, they have a bypass valve operating pressure of 20-26psi. This means the filter doesn't let the oil fully bypass the filter media until there is 26psi of pressure versus subarus spec of 23psi. I have no problem using an oil filter with a bypass valve spec lower than 23psi, but I don't think higher than 23psi is a good idea.

Couple quick reads on oil filter bypass valves

"Relief (By-Pass) Valve. In a full flow system, all of the oil passes through the filter to reach the engine. If the filter clogs, an alternative route to the engine must be provided for the oil, or the bearings and other internal parts may fail, due to oil starvation. A relief, or by-pass, valve is used to allow unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. Unfiltered oil is far better than no oil at all. This relief (by-pass) valve is built into the engine block in some cars. Otherwise, the relief (by-pass) valve is a component of the oil filter itself. Under normal conditions, the valve remains closed. When there is sufficient contaminant in the oil filter to reach a preset level of pressure differential to oil flow (around 10-12 PSI in most passenger cars), pressure differential on the relief (by-pass) valve causes it to open. This condition can occur when the oil filter has become clogged or when the weather is cold and the oil is thick and flows slowly."

http://www.fram.com/support/faqs.aspx

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309756

If you read BTOG's explanation you find that it all depends on how you drive your car and how it is maintained, my OCI are 3-3.5k no issues with oil or filter. Lower bypass filters are recommended for those that do not always change there filters or do lots of cold starting.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have used Mobil 1 since new. I change oil every 4500-5000 miles. Seems there are always positives and negatives to everything. Many do not like Mobil 1 oil and others will only use it. I always used the black filters from Subaru and when they switched to the blue, read many reports that they are not as good as some aftermarket filters. Since I do not go with extended mileage oil changes, should I continue as I am doing? Oh yeah, there is only 67k miles on the car.

People can get very defensive about their oil choices. but mobil1 is the wrong stuff for our car. Rotella T6 seems to have the most consistently good results

Purolator is a good filter. Many people don't like FRAM which FWIR is the new OEM for subaru

All good info. Can you explain why Mobil 1 is not the right stuff for our cars? Just wondering what stands out as different and not right. Are the rx8 filters the same height as the oem? I did hear back from Purolator regarding the PureOne PL14615. It is a new filter and is due out in retail stores this quarter. Must have something to do with the bypass pressure, you think?

Its been showen over and over that Mobil1 5w-30 breaks down to a 5w-20 very soon after you run it.

Other Mobil oils are different and ok to use.

But the general consenous here seems to be T6.

Me, I use Amsoil European 5w-40 full SAPS and thier oil filter and just did my last oil change at 8000 miles. My wagon see's 90% highway miles, it's normal one way drive to work is 33 miles, 30 of it highway.

Seems like you don't drive much, you need to change your oil at the 3000-3500 miles.

T6 is what you should use.

FWIW, the first 154,000 miles on my wagon were using dino oil and fram filters, the car had no bearing noise. Again I drive the car...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're changing your oil every 3-4K you don't need to over think the filter.

Thanks, I was trying to think of a answer for that. Ditto^

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Check to oil thread sticky at the top of the forum. lots of info and links there for those that want to know the differences and different test that oils go through.

Some folks have a love on for OEM filters, and parts in general. However, we all know the Subaru filter is a re-badged Fram so in my opinion this love is misplaced. Many years ago I researched oil filters and came to the conclusion that anything other than Fram is the way to go. I also learned how to spot private labelled Fram filters and avoid them too. It would appear Fram have improved a little over the years, but they are still not as good as most everything else on the market.

Archived