LegacyGT.com

used engine vs. rebuilt engine?

Can't have the heads "redone" if the cam journals are all scored up. And if she "broke" the camshaft, I gotta believe the journals are scored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Can't have the heads "redone" if the cam journals are all scored up. And if she "broke" the camshaft, I gotta believe the journals are scored.

I really doubt she broke a cam in a SOHC 2.5. Possible...yes. Likely....no

$1800 is still a looow ball price IMO.

Do the engine right and you'll be enjoying the car for many more years.

Let us know when you want more help.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i do think that I am going to have it rebuilt and hopefully have her running for many years.

looking into a shipper to move it up north and will let ya know what the second opinion is.

Thank you so much for all the input/info!

There are engines all over the place. Here a couple of links that can provide you with used engines for basically just about any Subaru you can find and they all come with a warranty. Simply go to these websites and fill in the information about your car and they'll give you a quote with delivery. NONE of these run anywhere near the price that you were quoted. You'll find any configuration you want. Make sure to have your VIN number on hand because the specific fitment will require the 6th digit of the VIN to make sure it's correct for your vehicle and electronics.

Good luck.

http://www.woodfins.com/subaru/legacy-outback/2005/engines/

http://www.firstclassengines.com/?gclid=CLG2gZHS570CFYY7MgodHCMAUw

http://www.engineandtransmissionworld.com/?utm_source=GDTM&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=C2&utm_campaign=EATWTop&matchtype=b&network=g&kw=%2Bsubaru%20%2Blegacy%20%2Bengine&ad=38588997123&sitetarget=&adposition=1t3&mobile=&part=300

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/subaru-legacy-engine

http://www.mwdauto.com/engines.php?final=Used-Engines-For-Sale&gclid=COHBv_vS570CFcdaMgodFw4AiA

I posted this information in the IDEA sticky above too as this seems to be a fairly common question. :)

When you decide what your doing, remember to also replace the normal wear items, such as , clutch kit, heater hoses, coolant hoses.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know a guy that regularly ships cars from as far south as SC and brings them up to the DC Metro area. If you're somewhere near 95 between those two points, he could probably help you out. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with him. Good luck!

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Sounds like it jumped timing and things went south. 3.5 qrts down? if you checked it (assuming you know how to read the dipstick) and it was between the low and full marks thats within operating range. It only holds 4.2qrts of oil so you must have been a cruising white cloud :lol: On a EJ253 when you jump timing the piston hits the valves and well you get the point.

Anyway youre here now, blown engine. If you are looking for used (junked) do not buy a 05 EJ253 stay away from them ;)

Look for 06-09 remanufactured EJ253 or if you are looking at salvage ANY 4 cylinder Non-turbo Subaru 06-09 will do technically you could use 10-11 but to be safe and ensure compatibility 06-09 is fine NOT 2005!

The one reason I would go salvage in your case is you will need one head rebuilt if not both. That cost alone is more than two salvaged heads. EJ253 heads arent special if you find a 06-09 EJ253 in a junk yard with low mileage I would have them checked over and lashed if they are near or over 100K as pure precaution, they will prob be fine. You can find some good whole engines with a little bit of searching.

Since its 5MT I would do the clutch pack while the engine is out. Also new plugs, gaskets, etc.

If you have AAA or roadside thru your insurance see if they will cover the cost to have it towed or part of it. My insurance covers that and I never knew until I have to tow my Legacy back to NoVa after being rear-ended 150 miles away :cool:

If you are in PA maybe check out IAG not sure how far or close you are.

Archived