LegacyGT.com

Why is the Legacy so squirrelly in wind?

Is it just something up with mine or are Legacies really squirrelly in the wind? I've had plenty of other cars that were shorter/longer/taller/lighter/heavier and never experienced this much dancing at highway speeds in a crosswind.

Doing some googling I turned up a "ghostwalking" issue that is prevalent in the 05+ Outbacks that can manifest itself in this way but only a few mentions of something similar in Legacies.

I get this issue too. I have the specB bilsteins so may not be the springs/struts, and I have JDM sways so possibly not that either.

I've heard a bit about the steering geometry which can be susceptible to bumps etc. pulling the steering off course. Could be a similar issue. I only just put swifts+whiteline bump steer kit (to fix the geometry) so haven't noticed if that's fixed/improved it.

I get this issue too. I have the specB bilsteins so may not be the springs/struts, and I have JDM sways so possibly not that either.

I have the JDM Spec.B and my car is like a flatiron on the road, so I haven't noticed any of this. Everything in the chassis is stock.

This is a pretty common complaint on the BP/BL chassis. My '06 LGT had it as well (I have a thread here from a long time ago "In Search of High Speed Stability") and I found that replacing the LCA rear bushings with an offset polyurethane bushing helped tremendously. I recommend the Whiteline bushings, but my car currently has the AVO bushings on it.

Good tires, dampers, and swaybars will further decrease the effect, but with a diminishing return compared to the LCA rear bushing.

I've got AVO offset LCA busings on my car, along with Konis and Hotchkis sways F/R. I still have what feels like a "wandering" effect on the highway during windy days. Granted, I still haven't gotten an alignment after the LCA bushings and struts so that could very well be part of it. I'm also still on snow tires so they are inherently spongy, even thought they are on the stiffer side for snows.

Yeah, an alignment and season-appropriate tires will help as well. :)

I generally shoot for max negative camber up front (assuming stock adjustment bolt and no camber plates, roughly -1.5*) and -1.0* for rear camber if you've added Whiteline bushings or adjustable links. 0.0* toe all around.

I don't know if this will help you much but

Just bought an 06 with full tein suspension, cobb front and rear sway and aftermarket endlinks.

Was driving like 4 or 5 days ago with my gf in the car and got caught by a gust of wind. It literally almost pushed me out of my lane.

Never experienced that before in any of my cars or trucks.

It didn't help that my driver side window was slightly cracked and made a crazy loud whistle sound. We were just sitting their like wtf just happened.

It does seem if you have all windows down it helps so the wind can pass through the car rather than press against it.

I'm on brand new tires and a recent alignment. Will have to look into the bushings.

Didn't seem like the problem was as pronounced on older worn tires. But then I changed them out just before the spring winds got here so not really sure.

Not only are the poly bushings far stiffer than the rubber "tennis ball" stock bushings (which are prone to tearing, further exacerbating the problem), but the added caster from the offset-type bushings improves straight-line stability and the return-to-center feel of the steering wheel.

I completely agree. I was driving in my '05 wagon at highway speeds a few days ago and I was getting thrown all around due to wind. Other cars around me didn't seem to be affected nearly as bad as I was. I also had similar "drunk driving" issues with my '04 legacy sedan.

Not only are the poly bushings far stiffer than the rubber "tennis ball" stock bushings (which are prone to tearing, further exacerbating the problem), but the added caster from the offset-type bushings improves straight-line stability and the return-to-center feel of the steering wheel.

Am I right in thinking the wind pushes the body enough to pull the wheels/suspension geometry out of center which will pull the wheels towards the direction the body is being pushed?

My wife's 08 Outback is horrible in wind, much worse than the 05 LGT wagon. I have noticed it a little, but if you drive an Outback in the wind, these are on a rail in comparison.

The higher center of gravity probably exacerbates the problem.

Am I right in thinking the wind pushes the body enough to pull the wheels/suspension geometry out of center which will pull the wheels towards the direction the body is being pushed?

The higher center of gravity probably exacerbates the problem.

That is my theory, essentially.

Oddly enough I never experienced this on my '09 OBXT, while stock or even now with Whiteline swaybars. My '06 LGT however, was pretty bad until I added the LCA bushings.

Archived