LegacyGT.com

Losing my mind, How are these cars supposed to idle?

I still find that my 05 GT has a "rough" idle, as in its not perfect but you can definetly feel it. I'm hoping others will chime in on how theirs feel.

I can feel it more so when I have my hand on the shifter.

I have replaced:

-Spark plugs

-IM gaskets

-Injectors

-Both O2 sensors

No vacuum leaks from what I can find, I barely burn any oil which is great considering I'm over 170,000km

Edit: I do have a Spec LWFW installed if that has anything to do with it.

When I had my intake manifold off I replaced the turbo inlet and was able to check turbo shaft play and there was barely any play if any at all.

Everyone that has ridden or driven my car says its pulls hard and cant feel any drivability problems.

I just dataloged the AVCS and OCV to make sure they were functioning properly and it seems to be.

My next step is to do a compression test to see if thats the problem but I would rather avoid that cause as we all know its a pain to do and I just did the spark plugs in January.

I had a bad cam shaft sensor that was screwing with my idle for a while before the cel popped on

popped both of them out and cleaned them, if one was bad would it have shown up in my AVCS datalog?

One thing I forgot to mention was that the RPM needle doesnt fluctuate at all and even looking at the AP logs the rpms dont very much at all.

Also popped off the oil filler cap and idle and no smoke comes out so theres no excessive blow by.

H4's aren't as well balanced as most other engine configurations (better than I4 but not as good as V6/V8) so the idle is a little more bumpy than other vehicles. You shouldn't be seeing anything too rough, just the odd small shake/bump.

In contrast [to the I4], the flat-4 has much less secondary imbalance at the expense of larger rocking vibration, that causes it to rotate back and forth around a vertical axis. This is because the cylinders cannot be directly opposed, but must be offset so the connecting rods can be on separate crank pins, which results in the forces being slightly off-centre. The rocking vibration is usually not serious enough to require balance shafts.

The 05 came stock with a DWFW you put in a SMFW on the 05/06 specifically there have been cases where this changes causes issues. The Spec is much lighter than the DMFW so it could be causing issues with your crank and cam triggers, tough to nail it down since you seem to have covered all bases and the car functions normally.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor ?

The Spec LWFW is 17lbs, the stock DMFW if I remember right was 27lbs I think m sprank knows for sure.

My car idle no different after the Spec LWFW was installed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's still the same engine the tune is designed for? OTS tunes are bottom tier tunes though

Yes but I was talking to one of the tuners at Cobb (Surgeline is about 10 minutes from my house) and he said the lgt maps are so old that a pro tune is going to be much better. Doubt it would cause an issue but it's worth mentioning just in case.

Archived