LegacyGT.com

Those who have done an STI Trans Swap, are you happy

I wasn't really planning to do this, but an opportunity has presented itself in which I can pick up a low mileage 04 STI Trans/Rear Dif for a very reasonable price. This is not a "should I buy it" post. Everyone's gonna have different opinions based on their personal situation. I'm just looking for feedback from those who have done the swap. Was it worth the money? Would you do it again? Was it a noticeable difference?

Trans, flywheel, and Dif would cost me $1,600. I'd need to pick up axels, driveshaft, shift linkage, and clutch. Going to skip DCCD for now. I'd get used parts where I could so I'm assuming I'd be at about $2,500 all said and done. Maybe sell my current Trans for $500? Net cost $2,000ish.

My Situation:

-I have an 07 LGT ~59k miles. Very clean and mechanically sound

-I like the car, don't love it yet. Biggest complaint is the lack of low end, the spacing between gears, and a clutch that needs to be changed either way. This would help remedy those complaints

-I have the money to do it, but am somewhat cheap and if I'm going to drop this much money really want my monies worth

-I'm at stage 1 now, won't go past stage 2

-If I can't find a good bicycle transportation solution, I may be forced to sell the car. I'm thinking the swap might improve resale, for the right buyer

Thoughts?

• Moderators
I wasn't really planning to do this, but an opportunity has presented itself in which I can pick up a low mileage 04 STI Trans/Rear Dif for a very reasonable price. This is not a "should I buy it" post. Everyone's gonna have different opinions based on their personal situation. I'm just looking for feedback from those who have done the swap. Was it worth the money? Would you do it again? Was it a noticeable difference?

Trans, flywheel, and Dif would cost me $1,600. I'd need to pick up axels, driveshaft, shift linkage, and clutch. Going to skip DCCD for now. I'd get used parts where I could so I'm assuming I'd be at about $2,500 all said and done. Maybe sell my current Trans for $500? Net cost $2,000ish.

My Situation:

-I have an 07 LGT ~59k miles. Very clean and mechanically sound

-I like the car, don't love it yet. Biggest complaint is the lack of low end, the spacing between gears, and a clutch that needs to be changed either way. This would help remedy those complaints

-I have the money to do it, but am somewhat cheap and if I'm going to drop this much money really want my monies worth

-I'm at stage 1 now, won't go past stage 2

-If I can't find a good bicycle transportation solution, I may be forced to sell the car. I'm thinking the swap might improve resale, for the right buyer

Thoughts?

1. Budget for new spec.b axles--the chances of you finding them used is slim to none. Similar for some of the shift linkage parts.
  2. I wouldn't plan on getting your money back when you resale the car. Like any other mods you'll probably lose money on it.

That said, I love my 6mt swap and think if you have the coin and can pull it off for under $3k it's "worth it". That's terribly subjective though, and at the end of the day it's a crap load of money. The change from my stock OBXT transmission is night and day, I think it would be slightly less noticeable for the LGT transmission.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

if u have no plans to go past stage 2 then you are IMO wasting your money. the stock drivetrain minus the clutch is more than capable of holding that power for many years assuming you don't launch it all the time and know how to shift. if i was you i would buy the 6speed if you can get it for that price and flip on here or nasioc and make some money and use that to get a better turbo. most go with vf52 or bnr 16g but plenty of options out there.

You can fix those issues for under $1K:

1. Get a Tune ($400 cable + eTune)

2. Drive in S or S# (Free)

3. Buy a short throw shifter ($90-$120)

4. Get a AVO or other panel filter ($50)

Also check for leaks turbo Subaru's in general suffer from loose clamps, and holes in pipes that carry boost ;)

Now isn't the gearing just as short on the STI's as the LGT 5speeds? As in cruising RPM at 70mph would be fairly close to 3k rpm?

1. Get a Tune ($400 cable + eTune)

More like $150, if you are going to get an eTune Tactrix cable is good enough, no need for Cobb.

EDIT: Just realized you meant eTune is part of the price.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Now isn't the gearing just as short on the STI's as the LGT 5speeds? As in cruising RPM at 70mph would be fairly close to 3k rpm?

More like $150, if you are going to get an eTune Tactrix cable is good enough, no need for Cobb.

EDIT: Just realized you meant eTune is part of the price.

I did a quick search on gear ratios. I believe the STI is 3.90 and the LGT 5 speed is 4.11. Could be wrong though. In any case, I've reluctantly decided to pass on this. 2-3 grand has better, more logical uses.

I already have a cobb so an Etune or pro tune is in the works once I do the down pipe.

I did a quick search on gear ratios. I believe the STI is 3.90 and the LGT 5 speed is 4.11. Could be wrong though. In any case, I've reluctantly decided to pass on this. 2-3 grand has better, more logical uses.

I already have a cobb so an Etune or pro tune is in the works once I do the down pipe.

Final gear only go tells the half of the story, 6th gear ratio, tire size etc.

Using stock LGT 24.6" tire diameter:

With 07 STI transmission:

70mph 2599 rpm

75mph 2746 rpm

With 07 LGT Spec B Transmission:

70mph 2335 rpm

75mph 2502 rpm

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived