LegacyGT.com

strange overheating issue 05 2.5i please help me out!

So i have a 05 legacy 2.5i auto and it runs and drives amazing, no smoke, no odd smells, no strange of choppy shifting, getting about 25mpg city and 30-32 on the interstate. No to the issue... it will sometime but not all the time get very hot when stopped at a light or just sitting in the car waiting to pick up a buddie. I do a lot of my own work and would say I'm good at working on stuff my self but I'm just lost at what to do next.

services I just did

trany flush

oil change

new spark plugs

new k&n droop in air filter

brand new drive and ac belts

new radiator

any advice or pointer would be great!

like i said the car drives fine and does not happen all the time so i really dont knw what the heck is going on

How would I get the bubble out of the system? Reason for a new one is my belt broke and took the tip part of the radiator out (cracked everything) and with 160k I figure to just replace that and all the hoses connection it together. I was also thinking the thermostate but who does it change when moving vs stopped. I just drove the car 200 miles from sf to Lake Tahoe and it was perfect. But as soon as it sits it gets hot again. I was thinking head gasket but I feel it runs perfect and it can't be bad. Plus I don't smell anything or have smoke out the back

How would I get the bubble out of the system? Reason for a new one is my belt broke and took the tip part of the radiator out (cracked everything) and with 160k I figure to just replace that and all the hoses connection it together. I was also thinking the thermostate but who does it change when moving vs stopped. I just drove the car 200 miles from sf to Lake Tahoe and it was perfect. But as soon as it sits it gets hot again. I was thinking head gasket but I feel it runs perfect and it can't be bad. Plus I don't smell anything or have smoke out the back

To burp the system jack up the driver side of the car (jack under the LCA mount) let the car idle with the cap off and heat set to MAX, as it warms and the thermo opens the coolant will flow. You will see the radiator burp out the air, it is messy so have plenty of shop towel on hand and coolant to add back in as it burps. After a while the big burps will stop and it will be air free.

These coolant funnels are god-send for techs....

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/sadiemaerogers01/pic-3708413314088327729_zps3273f47d.jpeg

They include adapters to attach to the radiator, then lets you run the car with some coolant in the funnel so you can watch for bubbles. Whenever i burp a system, i always run the rpm to about 2000, spins the water pump to really get the air out. Been doing it this way for 10+ years.

If this is a Subie, the engine is in wrong. :) I gotta confess, I didn't know what those oversized funnels were used for.

I should've mentioned i "borrowed" the pic from the net. Just to show the funnel. First pic i saw.. lol

I read on Wikipedia I think it was about a correlation between headgasket failures and using non-Subaru coolant. I have my doubts about this but wonder if there's something to it? I'm pretty sure companies like Prestone will guarantee their products won't destroy engines. :)

Coolant is coolant. Its mixable with all other manufactures.

04caliwrx: question?... With the bottle attached to the radiator, running the engine, do you get bubbles coming up?... at idle or at a higher rpm? Does it simply overheat sitting still even with the bottle attached? Also, turn your heat temp to full heat, set vents to main center vent, and with the bottle attached, run the engine, get it nice and hot, keep checking for heat, cause air pockets like to form in the heater core. after about 30 minutes you get toasty heat, and no bubbles, LET IT COOL completely before removing the bottle, cause the coolant will contract.

Usually, easy way to tell if headgaskets are leaking, when it gets hotter, and you turn on your heat, you get luke warm heat, that is an indication headgaskets are sucking coolant in. Then when you go and pop the cap, you get TONS of pressure, coolant overfilling, then you would add lots of coolant. Otherwise, you may be looking at Just a T-stat issue if you still have strong heat and no lose of coolant during its "overheating" issue.

Archived