LegacyGT.com

Outback 3.0R engine in Leggy

Does anyone make a flywheel and clutch for that set up ? I have no idea, did that engine come with a 5mt ?

I'm sure if you called Clutch Masters they could make something up for you.

Oh, how deep are your pockets ?

Just got get a new OEM short block for $1645, have you heads rebuilt, put a new clutch kit in the car and drive it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does anyone make a flywheel and clutch for that set up ? I have no idea, did that engine come with a 5mt ?

I'm sure if you called Clutch Masters they could make something up for you.

Oh, how deep are your pockets ?

Just got get a new OEM short block for $1645, have you heads rebuilt, put a new clutch kit in the car and drive it.

Our 255/257s are $1645, lowest price. The "new" (reman only) NAs are about $500 more.

Standard motor won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Was looking for something as quick as my LGT but more bullet proof.

I'm sure there must be a flywheel and pressure plate to fit that motor in Europe or the Japanese market.

Are you saying the GT's are not bullet proof ?

I got 142k out of my vf40, on dino oil. I put a ej257 in at 154k because of what we did to it early on. High boost, not a good tune.

But the wall's didn't look very bad.

I have 33K on the ej257 at 21psi.

I think you better off to do what I did.

see my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you look up H6 Impreza you'll find builds. This is doable, but I haven't seen it in a Legacy and don't know which manual tranny will work. SVX guys used to do it all the time, but the same transmission they used doesn't bolt up to the current crop of H6s. I'd be interested in hearing about what you end up doing because I've always wished for a manual H6 in the states!

The idea may have to go on the back burner for the moment. While I appreciate Max Capacity's points on making the turbo engine last (mine in my LGT has 350,000kms on it) it's because my commute is 140km each way and that means changing oil once a month. My Outback 3.0R while not as entertaining to drive doesn't make me worry as much about ring lands, blown turbo or timing belt issues. I would just like a manual box behind it.

I think you should be driving a Prius with that kind of milage. ;)

As long as you've done your homework on how to make it work. You should be fine.

Now the next question is, why not just fine a cheap 3.0r and rebuild it's engine and go from there. Sell this car.

I'm just saying...

Just found this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/09-3-0r-222702.html

I guess your not the only one that knows that's a great engine.

I know that back in 2006 Perrin transplanted a 3.0 into an LGT and they made it work. I actually saw the vehicle finished and running at SEMA that year. It can be done, but it's just a matter of how good you are at solving fitment, wiring, and routing issues. If you think the car is worth the effort, then it's definitely worth it and you'll have something that's unique.

Imagine the 3.0 with one of these:

http://raptorsc.com.au/

Now THAT would be something interesting and I would bet it would be extremely fun to drive AND bulletproof. :)

Archived