LegacyGT.com

SoCal tuners?

dahoseman

I'm wondering which tuner or tuners might be recommended in Southern California? .... preferably in the Inland Empire (Riverside area)

My new turbo is being installed, but an issue popped up with the new base map I was supposed to have ready. No bueno.

I don't have any experience with tuning or a wide band O2 sensor, so I'm sort of up a creek. Any recommendations are appreciated.

It looks like the shop doing work to my car hadn't actually gotten to the turbo replacement part, so I dodged a bullet. It's bittersweet in that I'm a a bit miffed that they accomplished so very little after having my car for over a day, but in this case it worked out.

I guess I'll have to put the turbo/tuning on hold until the next time I have some time off.

With Shamar was a few months back, thing have changed. Mike can take good care of you.

Yeah, I'm still on one of Shamar's etunes. Probably one of the last that he did. It seems to work well.

It's certainly hard to find a comparable price

I can't say enough good things about Yimisport. I was tuned by Shamar in 2012. Basically a stage 2 tune plus an 18G. I had replaced the turbo and short block because of a cracked oil pick up tube, but had been driving on a base tune for too long. Once we got my wife a new car, I started to have fun with the Legacy. I had the intention of doing injectors, pump and a front mount, but hadn't yet. I was eager to get tuned, even though I knew I would be selling the 18G short without injectors. Shamar did his road tunes near my house so I met him one afternoon and got tuned. He and I talked occasionally and he gave me some advice on parts, based on where I wanted to get to. I was very happy with the tune and gradually gathered the parts that I wanted to put on my car and installed them, planning to have Shamar tune me for e85 and 91 unleaded. Then I couldn't get a hold of Shamar. Sprank was helpful and gave me a little insight. Finally, I got in contact with Shamar and set up an appointment. Well my wife had to be rushed to the hospital and I had to cancel. I ended up making another appointment and had a friend come over the day before to make sure my car was ready. The car threw a bunch of codes mostly related to stuff I hadn't touched. Talked to Shamar and we decided to postpone. Since that last e-mail conversation in late August to postpone, I have not been able to get a hold of him.

I talked to Sprank via e-mail and he told me about Delicious Tuning and I was very tempted.

After reading some reviews on Paul at Yimisport, I decided to contact him by e-mail. I had a few questions and Paul e-mailed right back with very thorough answers. I e-mailed again and Paul was very helpful again, giving some advice with detailed and reasoned answers regarding parts that I wasn't quite sure I needed for my goals. Paul answered another round of questions for me and told me to get prices and schedule a tune, I should call the shop.

I did and even with a few big hiccups Paul, Shaun and the rest of the guys at Yimisport really came through. My Legacy has been a blast to drive the past few weeks. I had been open source tuned with Shamar, but the guys at Yimi suggested that I get an Accessport since I wanted them to tune for e85 and 91 unleaded. Since I hadn't used the Accessport, Paul gave me a quick run through and told me, "a trained monkey could use it." I have been having such a blast on e85 that I haven't even run the 91 map since I got my car back a month ago.

A couple things happened in the past month or so that not only convinced me I still wanted, but also enabled me to purchase the 05-07 STI that I really wanted when we bought the Legacy. I found a 2005 with low, low miles and bought it last week. As soon as I get it smogged and registered, I will definitely be adding a few enhancements and going back to Yimisport to have Paul tune that as well. Keeping the Legacy, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on NASIOC since 2002 (member 6459) and I've had my Subaru's tuned by almost all of the best on the West Coast.

IMO, this is my personal ranking based on personal experience (yep I've been tuned by all of them except one since 2002) with all of them except PhatBotti Tuning. My experience with Ron as been via posting in his threads and via PM's. This by all means isn't all of them, just my list.

1) Tim Bailey (I think he has stopped tuning)

1) Bill @ Delicious tuning - Infamous Performance

2) Ron @ Phatbotti Tuning (Phatron on NASIOC)

3) Shawn Church @ Church Automotive

4) Paul @ Yimi Sport (Paul damaged my engine trying to tune for 850cc injectors 6-7 yrs ago but I admit he has come a long way since)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Moved to Southern California Regional Sub-forum.

Were I still in SoCal, I'd make the trip to Escondido (Infamous Performance and Tuning - not to be confused with Infamous1 (Shamar)) and have Bill work his Delicious Tuning magic on it

Best advice is to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb, make sure everything is exactly as it should be before you ever put it on the dyno. Air lines, fuel lines, boost lines, injectors, anything that could leak or blow-off, clamp, tie or seal that bish and anything that could fail, fix. Nothing is more frustrating than getting on the dyno and/or road-tuning afterward, and having something give-up right in the middle of it.

And, +1 for AccessPort in terms of convenience, and the ability to log, change maps and monitor everything, in a handheld package, it's hard to beat.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Crawford has no tuner. Bill was Crawfords tuner.

Bill is tuning on my dyno 4 days a week now. He has relocated Delicious Tuning to 1948 Don Lee Place Suite 7. Thats right, next door to Infamous Performance. If your in SoCal and want to be tuned by one of the most respected tuners in the Subaru world, Bill is here.

His resume:

http://www.delicioustuning.com/portfolio

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike it's been a while sounds like everything's going well down there! What type of dyno does your shop use?

Crawford has no tuner. Bill was Crawfords tuner.

Bill is tuning on my dyno 4 days a week now. He has relocated Delicious Tuning to 1948 Don Lee Place Suite 7. Thats right, next door to Infamous Performance. If your in SoCal and want to be tuned by one of the most respected tuners in the Subaru world, Bill is here.

His resume:

http://www.delicioustuning.com/portfolio

Archived