LegacyGT.com

6mt swap front axles

Alright so I have a 05 lgt, I did the 04 Jdm 6mt swap, did the spec b rear axles, and I was able to use the 04 sti axles that came with the tranny. The axle has the aluminum knotches around it that are not he hub side, they have shaved themselves down Mabey 1mm because they were slightly touching the hub bolt head.... Now I put th tranny in got everything together drove it around, put it in the garage, jacked it up and the front wheel bearings seemed to be shot, the front wheels were just wiggling all over, so I went through, replaced the wheel bearing with moog bearings, did the whiteline bump steer balljoints, and tierod end, got that all in took it for a ride, came back , Jacked it back up and wheels are wiggling again... And yes my lug nuts are tight and it's not just the wheel it's the rotor, but nothing like the joints move, joints all stay still. Just axle and seems to be rotor,a nd wheel if it's on.... Any idea on what to think, has anyone done a different axle that doesn't have the abs knotches on it and possible, a smaller dust boot? Thanks

No the Jdm swap has males coming off, the axle must be a female, where as my stock axles were a male going into the tranny... the 04 sti were 5x100 so the only difference is the receiving ends and then the sti axles have the abs knotches whereas my lgt has the speed sensor On the hub..... The knotches are just barly hitting on the bolt heads of the hub bolts...that must be what is tearing up tiny wheel bearings.... This sucks ....

you can pull the splines/stubs out of the trans and buy new axle seals. to make the trans work with male style axles fyi

they are kinda a pain to pull because they have a retaining clip inside holding them in

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/SnowAmigo/IMG_0170.jpg

this is what they look like when u pull them out

you can pull the splines/stubs out of the trans and buy new axle seals. to make the trans work with male style axles fyi

they are kinda a pain to pull because they have a retaining clip inside holding them in

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/SnowAmigo/IMG_0170.jpg

this is what they look like when u pull them out

To add to post above.

After you pull the stub shafts, you need these seals below.

05 STi 6MT front half shaft seals:

Old# L\H 806735240 New# L\H 806735290

Old# R/H 806735230 New# R/H 806735300

And why'll you're there:

Tail shaft seal 806735210

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

OK perfect I'll just have to get the seals ordered and then ill figure up a jimmy rig to pull them out lol luckily my motors out now so that will give me a little more room to play! How strong are the stock lgt axles? Can they take a launch? Not that I launch my car but I'm jw thanks again for info given

You normally mangle them when they come out. And they aren't easy to come out cuz they Are a very tight fit.

Make sure when they go back in, it goes it straight. What I normally do is, take a mallet and a 3/8 drive short extension and tap the seal in a circle around the seal to make it go in straight. Also the extension will help make sure the seal doesn't go too far because the extension will hit the housing when the seal is flush.

Ok yeah I got them out, now i ripped one going back in, got another set, so hopefully I can try with the 3/8drive socket and Mabey have alittle better luck... Or I'll try the piece of wood, any other better ways to get the seals back in? There's a aluminum flange on bribe tranny,t he old seal I pulled out from in the flange, but the new seal is like the same size as the flange, it's not supposed to be over the outside right? Just making sure thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah so I'm still at the same point, luckily the motors being built so I have a. Little time, but I'd like to get it taken care of. About the axles, there is 1 bolt, if I take that bolt out... will the side little disc come off the tranny to get the new seal in and behind that flange? Or I really can't seem to get the damn seal to even want to go in.... Would it make a difference if it's a Jdm tranny or if it's a USDm tranny? I have a the 04 jdm tranny I got the seals that were posted, I'm just wondering tips those are the exact seals I need? Idk I'm kind of lost, I'm going to have our mechanic stop over and see if he can get them in but I've gotten a 1 1/2 socket over he seal and was hitting it in... I greSed it and everything, I'm just wondering if the side piece come off or not? Thanks for any insight on how to get them in

Archived