LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy 2.5 ignition upgrade?

Hello guys! I am here looking for information for my brothers "new" 98 Legacy Outback with ej25d. We have already done a bit of basic maintenance (oil/filter, atf/filter, fuel filter etc) on it, and I believe next on the list is new spark plugs, wires, and possibly coil.

Is there A specific spark plug for this engine? Ngk? Platinum? Copper? Iridium?...

Is the Neon Msd coil really worth it on this engine? It's def cheap enough to try for sure, just wondering if its worth the time.

Also, are there any good quality "performance" wires for this engine I havent found? I have only seen Nology Hotwires (lol at that price), no Msd or anything.

Or should I just get Ngk, Bosh, Denso or some other wires?

Thanks guys!

I just installed the msd coilpack in my legacy gt, which has the same 98 ej25 in your brothers legacy outback. I have to say it is completely worth it for the price and gives a definite small kick to performance. Nothing too crazy but worth it. Also along with the new plugs and wires ive seen a 3mpg increase.

Same here- just installed the MSD coil and feel a little more power with my EJ22. I think MPG is up 2- 3 MPG. There is a how- to in the stickies on this page and many of us have posted how to do the install on this page (it is quite easy- just get a ignition coil wire harness from a Neon at the junkyard or get a new one for $10 from Rock Auto).

I guess the Msd coil is right for the price.

But, what about wires? I was hoping to see some Msd wires for less than $100, but only found Nology hotwires for closer to 150, and oe replacement like Bosh, Denso, Ngk.

Also found Magnecor wires for under 100, but have never heard of them before.

Recommendations for wires to go with the Msd coil? (and intake and most likely headers/exhaust)

Also, is Ngk THE preferred plug for these engines? Or Bosch, denso?

Copper? Iridium? Platinum?

I think you can run any type of NGK plug (I put platinums in mine). I also purchased the blue NGK wires.

Order the MSD coil # 8239 (from either Amazon or Summit Racing for the best price) and get a wiring harness from a 1996- 2004 Neon. I ordered the harness from Rock Auto and got it for about $10 shipped. I got this part: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432877,parttype,2568

I am running NGK V-Powers, and NGK wires and I average about 31MPG city with that and the hybrid intake

What is this hybrid intake you speak of? Trying to do something to my intake but I'm not too sure yet

Not interested in discussing cone filters or snorkus delete. Especially not in this thread.

Does Msd make any wires that can be used on these eninges?

Anyone have any experience with the Magnecor 8.5 wires for these car?

Not interested in discussing cone filters or snorkus delete. Especially not in this thread.

dude...you'll be aight...

but yeah, magnecore are notorious for coming off while driving

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311058&highlight=magnecor

stick with NGK wires,NGK v-powers for plugs, the neon's MSD coilpack, and a grounding kit.

that is the best IGN performance setup you are going to get.

Big 3, not just a grounding mod. I used welders cable. Cheaper and better characteristics than most regular car audio cable. Run a cable from the alternator case to the engine block as well.

I'm not sold on the MSD coil. I did buy the MSD Neon coil, but the very minor improvement I noticed I am crediting the new NGK plugs and wires I did at the same time.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Big 3 includes positive battery to alternator, grounding mod does not. Perhaps you do mean to, but I just keep seeing the Big 3 referred to as a grounding mod when it's not an accurate description.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived