LegacyGT.com

Perrin air filter causing cel?

I purchased my 2007 Legacy Gt a year and a half ago and immediately installed a foam perrin air filter. I had no issues for months, then began to get the occasional cel that would stay on for about a day or so and then go out with no performance issues. I got it read once and it was a "too lean" code. I cleaned the MAF and it seemed to go about two months before the next cel.

Fast forward to two months ago in the super cold northeast and I've been getting cel almost constantly with the only symptom an occasional rough idle. I just got the codes pulled again and got the following:

P0102 - MAF

P0113 - Intake air temp sensor cir malfunction

P0301 - misfire cyl 1

P0302 - misfire cyl 2

P0303 - misfire cyl 3

P0304 - misfire cyl 4

I imagine the first two codes are the cause of the misfires

I have two main questions:

Is the P0113 code also a MAF code?

Are these being caused by my Perrin filter?

Thank you for reading my lengthy post!

I have been runninga Perrin in my 2005 wagon since Aug 2004, never had a issue.

You should clean it with a K&N cleaning kit, and "lightly" oil it.

Buy some MAF cleaner at the auto parts store and clean it, reset the ECU and drive the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A light coating is fine, seems people tend to over do it. Like I said, almost 10 years on the same Perrin filter, never had a issue.

In fact I'm still using the same K&N cleaning kit I bought years ago. In fact last summer the plastic pump broke on the cleaner bottle, so I have to use some other spray bottle, that's how old the kit is.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have been runninga Perrin in my 2005 wagon since Aug 2004, never had a issue.

You should clean it with a K&N cleaning kit, and "lightly" oil it.

Buy some MAF cleaner at the auto parts store and clean it, reset the ECU and drive the car.

I thought the Perrin filter specifically said to not use the K&N filter cleaner with the perrin filter since they're different materials. Either way, I did clean it about 8 months ago with a foam air filter cleaning kit. I have also cleaned the MAF sensor a few times.

I guess that leads me to my next question. Let's say that a dirty MAF sensor is causing the CEL. If I successfully clean the sensor, will the CEL eventually go off on its own or do I have to flash the ECU by unhooking the battery?

Also, does anyone know the answer to my original question? That was if the first two codes I mentioned are both based on the same sensor.

Thanks!

After you clean the MAF, reset the ECU and drive the car.

One time after cleaning I got a CEL. I reset the ECU, it never came back. That was a few years back.

Yes pull the negative cable for like 15 mins. Some say something about stepping on the brake pedal a few times too. will reset it faster.

Im guessing all those CEL are because of the dirty MAF.

Had the same problem when I installed a K and N drop in filter... I decided to purchase an oem filter to be safe because honestly there's no benefit to the performance filter other than sound. Haven't had a check engine light since. Problem solved. Wait to upgrade anything until you can afford a tune

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I use PJ1 motocross air filter oil on my Perrin filter. It has evaporative carriers in it and then all that remains is a sticky surface that really grabs all of the crap that floats around. I've been doing that since 2006 when I put the filter in and have never had a CEL from it. Just make sure to NOT use too much.

I use PJ1 motocross air filter oil on my Perrin filter. It has evaporative carriers in it and then all that remains is a sticky surface that really grabs all of the crap that floats around. I've been doing that since 2006 when I put the filter in and have never had a CEL from it. Just make sure to NOT use too much.

I used a pj1 foam filter cleaning and oil kit. I may have sprayed too much oil on it. I'll try rinsing it real well then lightly oiling it next time. I did buy a cheap MAF sensor on ebay, but now I'm not so sure my OEM was even bad. I may just switch back to the OEM air filter if it's gonna cause me so many problems.

After you clean the MAF, reset the ECU and drive the car.

One time after cleaning I got a CEL. I reset the ECU, it never came back. That was a few years back.

Yes pull the negative cable for like 15 mins. Some say something about stepping on the brake pedal a few times too. will reset it faster.

Im guessing all those CEL are because of the dirty MAF.

So I have an update. I put in a cheap MAF sensor from eBay, and my RPMs were going up and down like crazy. So I flashed the ECU to see if that would help, but it didn't. I put back in the original MAF sensor.

After putting the original MAF sensor back in, it took about 100 miles for my check engine light to come on. Again, there were no performance issues whatsoever.

I'm wondering now if a vacuum leak could cause these codes. I'm thinking if the engine is getting more or less air than the MAF sensor is telling it because of a leak, the check engine light might come one. Is my thinking correct here?

Also, is there an easy way to check for a vacuum leak for an amateur mechanic? I've heard of spraying starter fluid, but I'm not even sure where to spray it.

Finally, I'm told that in the 2007 the infamous T connector is no longer present. Is that true?

Thanks again!

Archived