LegacyGT.com

Adam's 05 BSM LGT build thread

Going back to LGTs

How good is the OEM LSD? Is it basically worthless or does it do it's job well?

If a front wheel is the wheel with the least traction (and it's not enough torque to move the car) that front wheel will just spin right? The LSD is only good if one of the rear wheels is the one with least traction? (This would probably only matter in standing starts)

The viscous type LSD, like most things, is good for certain applications and not so good for others. The 5MT LGT and OBXT has the viscous LSD in the rear diff as well as in the center diff. The viscous type works by the properties of a silicone-based fluid that thickens as it heats up. When one output (axle or wheel) spins faster than the other, the difference in speed shears the fluid which causes it to heat up. As it heats and thickens it starts to act as a brake on the faster wheel. This increases the torque that can be generated at the slower wheel (both wheels really). BTW - a little pet-peeve of mine: torque is not "transferred" or "sent" from one wheel to the other - that is a marketing-type explanation.

If a front wheel on the LGT or OBXT is free-spinning and it's not enough torque for the other front wheel or the rear wheels to get moving then the center diff will start to generate a resistance torque which will increase drive torque at all four wheels. That being said, there is a maximum amount of resistance torque that the VLSD can provide. Subaru actually offered a stronger center VLSD (about 5x stronger) for loose-surface rally applications; on tarmac you would get system binding since the available traction is high.

The stock VLSD is predictable and slow to react which is good for average drivers and poor conditions. It's maintenance free and inexpensive to produce. Please note I have upgraded all 3 diffs on my LGT. :lol:

Back to traction, it does sound like in the real world environments (not perfect tranctionless ice on all 4 wheels), an AWD car with only center limited slip diff (like NA subaru's are), can only actually pull/push with 2 wheels at the same time.

This is where I jokingly say our GT's are 3 wheel drive (due rear LSD), NA Subaru's are 2 wheel drive, and LSD-less FWD/RWD cars only 1 wheel drive, because when your stuck in the ditch only one wheel is getting you out.

OEM LSD is actually pretty good, but because it is viscous, your wheel has to slip enough for it to heat up and engage the clutches.

If front wheel is without traction, the center diff should send more power the to rear wheels thus reducing the amount of slippage on the front wheels.

Yup - I totally lean on the "1/2/3 wheel drive" example when explaining the concept to non-car buffs. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roger that, I did switch to SS oil line kit last year too, I do see some slight oil residue on mine but nothing big enough to worry about. If your seeing lots of gunk in exhaust it's probably the turbine shaft seal that's gone, which would definitely explain the oil consumption.

When I did my clutch couple weeks back I checked my 16g's turbine and it was nice and dry, if yours is wet then you need new seals (or CHRA)

I don't know that I would call it "gunk". It's powdery carbon deposit. The turbine has the same powdery carbon on it. I've always been suspicious of the turbo but I could never get a straight answer out of AVO. They either walk me in circles or try to sell me a new turbo. The exhaust tips need cleaned at every fill-up at least. It also leaves black on the bumper from idling. Stuff drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I don't know that I would call it "gunk". It's powdery carbon deposit. The turbine has the same powdery carbon on it. I've always been suspicious of the turbo but I could never get a straight answer out of AVO. They either walk me in circles or try to sell me a new turbo. The exhaust tips need cleaned at every fill-up at least. It also leaves black on the bumper from idling. Stuff drives me nuts.

Yeah I would say your definitely consuming oil. Here is what my 16G with ~10k miles looks like up close on a freshly ported housing, the turbines looked really similar when I took the downpipe off.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Turbo/Evo%20III%2016g/20160101_130108.jpg~original

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Yeah I would say your definitely consuming oil. Here is what my 16G with ~10k miles looks like up close on a freshly ported housing, the turbines looked really similar when I took the downpipe off.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Turbo/Evo%20III%2016g/20160101_130108.jpg~original

Yea, mine was coated in black soot. Just have to find out if it's coming from the turbo or the combustion chamber. Probably both.

Looks like my old vf46 was pretty dark and "wet", wet could be from using PB blaster to knock the turbine housing off though.

I think black soot is normal as long as it's dry and not sludgy, if it's sludgy then oil is being mixed with it.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 months later...

Well friends,

The time has come for me to part with the most fun car I've ever owned.

I've parted out my Legacy and I've started a thread. I'll really miss this car...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/full-part-out-pa-2005-bsm-legacy-gt-sedan-261030.html?s=025769d2de0e45fd54769f9594384ad4&t=261030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, it was a tough choice. I'm eyeing up a Tesla since we'll be adding solar to my house in the coming weeks. It all depends on how my wife's interview goes today. If she gets it, I'll throw all my chips in. If she doesn't, I'll reevaluate my plan.

Right now, it's the only available option that's both eco-friendly and satiates my inner car id, if you will.

I wish a Tesla was feasible where I live, even though our city has a free charging station by the power station, it's the only one for a long while. We have lots and lots of farmlands so you don't want to be stuck without a charge out here.

This is why I'm doing my part and started this thread :lol:. All of my cars get above EPA gas mileage :cool:.

22 Ascent STOCK

I remember glancing at this thread before. Or maybe it started out as info you had posted on your build thread. Either way, I didn't have the time to address tuning logic. I'd have a good bit to learn.

Having said that, I'm proud of you for stepping it up! I'll have to watch your thread more carefully for your improvements.

I've actually heard REALLY good reviews on them! I'm cautiously optimistic and I may swing that route, too since I heard Tesla is skipping beta testing. I know Musk is a go-getter, but that makes me a little nervous about reserving a model 3

We bought a '17 Forester XT last summer. The only think I missed about the Legacy was the handling after driving that. I really enjoy it!

Woop sorry, I for some reason thought you had 4th gen outback! I wish the newer XT's came with manuals, I would be all over them myself :lol:. A forum member, who is semi local to me, actually auto crossed his FXT last year :)

I've actually heard REALLY good reviews on them! I'm cautiously optimistic and I may swing that route, too since I heard Tesla is skipping beta testing. I know Musk is a go-getter, but that makes me a little nervous about reserving a model 3

That's a bit concerning. I was a 100% behind Tesla's until I saw this article and realized that Tesla is well under-prepared for a full fleet of them: Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare

22 Ascent STOCK

Woop sorry, I for some reason thought you had 4th gen outback! I wish the newer XT's came with manuals, I would be all over them myself :lol:. A forum member, who is semi local to me, actually auto crossed his FXT last year :)

Auto crossing an XT!? :lol: That must have been fun to watch! Surprisingly, I don't miss my Manual GT that much. Over the last two months, my car sat on weekends and we drove the forester everywhere. I didn't really miss my car at all. The amenities and and smell of the leather with xm and an immediate boost response were enough for me! :)

That's a bit concerning. I was a 100% behind Tesla's until I saw this article and realized that Tesla is well under-prepared for a full fleet of them: Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare

Yea, I need to read more. I read that article and the author does say that he's sure they're an isolated case and I'm sure it's complicated by several factors including the shop choice and being hit by an uninsured driver.

Having said that, they've given me enough that I'm willing to do a bit more research before committing.

My wife had a job interview yesterday that would be promising and allow us to carpool more. That would give me more time to consider alternate vehicles and see how the initial release of the Tesla 3's go. Might be a high-risk high reward thing to jump on early. Time will tell but I'm rooting for them in light of our digression from responsible environmental policy. :spin:

I hate to say it but anything car related is rarely high reward, since they only depreciate.

I'm glad Tesla is doing this, I just wonder if they would be better off sourcing parts from a bigger manufacturer or maybe making aftermarket easier?

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived