LegacyGT.com

Only option for 2015 a CVT snowmobile transmisson?

slushboxgt

Oh so I'm not crazy :lol: Yeah I never bashed the CVT, I actually like it, I test drove a FXT with the CVT great ride.

No, you're not crazy but she is. I'm sure this is the same maroon on NASIOC called A W that provides no meaningful input and merely comes on to bash enthusiasts desires and basically say na, na, na , na na,, you aren't getting what you want. Freekin' dolt.

I suggest everyone ignore this troll and they'll go away eventually.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, you're not crazy but she is. I'm sure this is the same maroon on NASIOC called A W that provides no meaningful input and merely comes on to bash enthusiasts desires and basically say na, na, na , na na,, you aren't getting what you want. Freekin' dolt.

I suggest everyone ignore this troll and they'll go away eventually.

To be fair, when the 5th gen LGT dropped with no AT as an option, there was certainly a vocal clique of people on this forum who were chest thumping, and and taking a very elitist attitude with it being manual only. So called "enthusiasts" were definitely gloating.

This despite people like myself saying the lack of an AT meant the death of the LGT, which turned out to be true, so everyone lost in the end.

I don't remember anyone being happy that it was MT only. From what I remember, we all pretty much felt that the LGT's days were numbered without an AT option.

There was comments like this aplenty:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/chance-2010-t-lgti-123938.html

you all just need to learn to drive a manual car, so much more fun. once they put an auto in it, then there will be complaints all about how it doesnt do this, and it doesnt do that. the GT is meant to be sportier, hence no auto. now if subaru had a DSG-type transmission, then i guess that would be semi ok, but not all the way. i like that certain cars limit what kind of transmission choice you can have, means you are less likely to settle on something you are not completely happy with. example, really wanted a mk5 R32, but only came in DSG. loved the car but would never own it cause its an auto. my wife is starting to want a new turbo forester, but even she wont get it cause she cant get it in manual. unless you are missing a leg, learn to drive a manual tranny car. oh and subaru make a 3.6 in the 6spd.

Then there is this...

Ooooh. I will never buy a car with an auto ever. Unless it was for someone i hate. So this news makes me smile, bwahahahaha at all you failbox drivers. http://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gif...

And this...

I agree with all the above posts that auto's are garbage, they are meant for only the simplest people on this planet! 2 pedals?!, BAH! All good things come in prime numbers so 3 is the way to go.

and this

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yeah, auto is teh ghey

I was not a big fan of the snifter and clutch feel of my 2010 LGT, so if you're going to offer a manual, make sure it's a good one.

The shifter in my Caddy takes the driving experience to a new level. Everyone is shocked when I tell them I drive a stick in a Cadillac.

However, I am hearing great things about the 2015 WRX shifter.

There was comments like this aplenty:

I'd hardly call 4 "MTs or Die" posts a lot, especially considering allegedly this is a forum of enthusiasts. Go figure that gearheads love MTs.

I'm going to need about 200 more "Kill all the Autos" posts before I can say they even start to rival all of Gelacy's anti-enthusiast remarks. :spin:

I'd hardly call 4 "MTs or Die" posts a lot, especially considering allegedly this is a forum of enthusiasts. Go figure that gearheads love MTs.

I'm going to need about 200 more "Kill all the Autos" posts before I can say they even start to rival all of Gelacy's anti-enthusiast remarks. :spin:

Oh there were others. I'm just too lazy to go back and revisit those threads.:cool:

Though, some people were more lucid, and called it exactly right. That whole 5th gen LGT was a complete fiasco, and now look where things are...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-legacy-gt-automatic-vs-manual-transmission-vote-109608p3.html

You know, karma is a bitch. If you keep bashing automatic drivers, one day, you might grudgingly find yourself in a position where you can no longer operate a manual because of bad fate.

What a fun thread I am missing :lol:

SOA did their best to limit the new LGT appeal. Split bench seats in front + gaudy styling + MT only... everybody is offended, enthusiasts and mobile appliance operators alike.

My prediction - the LGT will be gone in 2011, and the issue will be solved once and for good :)

• 4 weeks later...
It's a shame in some ways that Subaru outsources their automatic transmissions, but it's pretty common amongst a lot of automakers. Since Subaru is using Jatco for their transmissions and Jatco has decided not to pursue twin clutch transmissions for the now, we get stuck with the CVTs or the lackluster automatics. The GTR transmission is pretty sweet, but that's designed and built in-house at Nissan.

It's a shame in some ways that Subaru outsources their automatic transmissions, but it's pretty common amongst a lot of automakers. Since Subaru is using Jatco for their transmissions and Jatco has decided not to pursue twin clutch transmissions for the now, we get stuck with the CVTs or the lackluster automatics. The GTR transmission is pretty sweet, but that's designed and built in-house at Nissan.

The only transmissions that aren't Subaru's are the ones in the BRZ. Subaru's CVTs were designed and are built completely in house. Subaru's CVT's drive nothing like Jatco sourced CVTs.

why is that? honest question.

slow sales required high incentives for the BL generation. I was surprised it even survived into the BM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Latest rumors from APAC suggest that the 6th gen sold in Japan and China, across Asia

will be offered with 2.5i, 2.5T (carry over from 5th gen LGT) and 2.0DIT engine flavors mated with both MT (similarly to Canada) and CVT/5EAT transmissions (similarly to Australia).

Likely setups:

2.5i + MT and/or CVT

2.5T + MT and/or HT-CVT, 5EAT

2.0DIT + MT and/or HT-CVT

The only transmissions that aren't Subaru's are the ones in the BRZ. Subaru's CVTs were designed and are built completely in house. Subaru's CVT's drive nothing like Jatco sourced CVTs.

slow sales required high incentives for the BL generation. I was surprised it even survived into the BM.

Schaeffler's Luk brand did help Subaru with the CVT. They made the chain and guide rails.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/press/press-releases/press-details.jsp?id=32930112

Interesting enough, Luk also supplies chains to Jatco also.

Updated the link, pasted the wrong one from my previous comment.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/press/press-releases/press-details.jsp?id=32371904

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/press/press-releases/press-details.jsp?id=45436289 <-- wrong one...

Schaeffler's Luk brand did help Subaru with the CVT. They made the chain and guide rails.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/press/press-releases/press-details.jsp?id=32930112

Interesting enough, Luk also supplies chains to Jatco also.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/press/press-releases/press-details.jsp?id=45436289

of course the parts come from somewhere. Subaru doesn't smelt its own chains. The point is that Subaru didn't buy an off the shelf CVT from Jatco and engineer it to work in its cars. Subaru designed its own CVT. It's the same difference as Subaru's AWD:Haldex same as Subaru's CVT:Jatco CVT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

of course the parts come from somewhere. Subaru doesn't smelt its own chains. The point is that Subaru didn't buy an off the shelf CVT from Jatco and engineer it to work in its cars. Subaru designed its own CVT. It's the same difference as Subaru's AWD:Haldex same as Subaru's CVT:Jatco CVT.

Agreed, Subaru built the CVT.

I wanted to add Subaru got help from Schaeffler in their CVT design. Schaeffler says they worked with Subaru for 10 years on a CVT. And Schaeffler is so confident in their chains, they believe it could handle Subaru's diesel engines and turbo engines without problem.

The Jatco comment was about Jatco using the chains from Schaeffler. Are they the same chains? I don't know.

my .2 cent

my first car in 2003

93 Integra M/T

2nd car in 2005

94 Del Sol SI went through 4 engine swap, GSR full NA then Turbo M/T

3rd car mid 2006

2007 Scion tC, lowered some bolts on, retrofit. M/T

4th car in 2008

89 Civic EG M/T daily

5th 2010

99 Civic DX M/T

2011 sold both Civic, traded the 07 tC

for 08 Honda Pilot SE 3.5L

I started looking into the 2015 Legacy, went test drove the 2014 Legacy CVT.

It was more fun driving the CVT than my turbo charge GSR Del Sol and the Scion tC. Although I haven't try the paddle shifter during the test drive, but that's a great add on if I want to shift manual like some higher end car use paddle shifter. Legacy seem to focus more on grow up, so it seems total perfect for me condition. I went through all those fast n furious scenes, and that's enough! Time to move on and stop being selfish!

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I used to do a little 4wheeler racing. Always loved a manual...kicking the gears. Then I got blown away by a couple cvts. I would buy a manual sports car if I had the choice, but don't dismiss cvts. They were banned from formula racing for a reason. A cvt is practically made for a turbocharged engine too, staying in the turbo sweet spot. Im thinking a cvt/manual SVI would be an interesting race in a rally.

The only experience I have with a CVT is my 80 year old mom's '11 Outback 2.5i. Here at 6,500' the car is so hilariously under powered that when I drove it on the highway my foot was on the floor at even the slightest hill to maintain 80mph. The CVT seemed to be doing everything it could to keep the car in it's powerband, but my God I was SOOO happy to get back in my wife's '05 LGT with the 5EAT! Those same hills the LGT just cruises silently up at a little over 3k rpm, instead of whining and droning mercilessly and hopelessly at 5k rpm. I don't know how people can stand the 2.5i at this altitude. Even in the city I've found the car is almost impossible to maintain an even speed (say 40mph) going up hills. Let off the gas just a tiny bit, the car slows down until you hit the gas enough that it shoots up to 4k rpm again. Horrible driving car.

Having said that I can definitely see the potential in a CVT with a turbo engine. If the engine has enough power, I can see the CVT working better, especially going up hills. Regardless, I'm more than happy to keep the 6-speed manual in my Maxima. It's always in the right gear and is controlled by the most sophisticated computer the universe has ever known.

The only experience I have with a CVT is my 80 year old mom's '11 Outback 2.5i. Here at 6,500' the car is so hilariously under powered that when I drove it on the highway my foot was on the floor at even the slightest hill to maintain 80mph. The CVT seemed to be doing everything it could to keep the car in it's powerband, but my God I was SOOO happy to get back in my wife's '05 LGT with the 5EAT! Those same hills the LGT just cruises silently up at a little over 3k rpm, instead of whining and droning mercilessly and hopelessly at 5k rpm. I don't know how people can stand the 2.5i at this altitude. Even in the city I've found the car is almost impossible to maintain an even speed (say 40mph) going up hills. Let off the gas just a tiny bit, the car slows down until you hit the gas enough that it shoots up to 4k rpm again. Horrible driving car.

Having said that I can definitely see the potential in a CVT with a turbo engine. If the engine has enough power, I can see the CVT working better, especially going up hills. Regardless, I'm more than happy to keep the 6-speed manual in my Maxima. It's always in the right gear and is controlled by the most sophisticated computer the universe has ever known.

Your mom is 80? How old are you? You musta been driving during the gutless 80s and 90s. The outback is faster than performance cars during those times.

And the performance would suck equally bad on a 2.5i with a manual gearbox, so it's not a big deal.

At that altitude and trying to keep 80mph uphill you would need a turbocharger anyway.

453747.png

And the performance would suck equally bad on a 2.5i with a manual gearbox, so it's not a big deal.

At that altitude and trying to keep 80mph uphill you would need a turbocharger anyway.

No turbo needed if you have a V6. My Maxima (6-speed manual) still has no trouble with hills at 80 even with 140k miles.

2.5i with manual requires limited downshifting going up the hill. Considering my experience is at 300' it really must be the elevation that gets you. Unless there is an additional loss of power in CVT's as compared to MT's.

Archived