LegacyGT.com

2009 2.5i - replacing first cat, OEM vs aftermarket?

My wife's 2.5 had the P0420 code for a while now. Replaced both O2 sensors, still there.

On rockauto the part is $314. At the dealer it's $530 + tax (but I know the guy in parts/service and he may give me a deal/employee pricing).

Anyone have any thoughts, should I just pay more for the OEM? Is the quality that much higher?

"This is an adventure."

• Moderators

For what you need it for--no CEL and emissions--aftermarket should be fine. An OEM piece is likely of a higher quality in terms of actually filtering out more emissions.

Depending on how your stock converter failed, pm me if you end up removing it and I might be able to give you some cash for it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

One thing to keep in mind when using aftermarket cats...very few aftermarket cats will pass the converter efficiency test the ECU does. I have sold many cats to shops that have just installed aftermarket units only to have a code for converter efficiency test failed. I don't know if there is a brand that is less likely to fail than another though.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

OEM there is no other choice for that model, you could find a used lower mileage unit over in NASIOC, they've been ditching them for borlas reps for years and years. I bought one with around 10K on it for $150 shipped when my OEM unit went bad around 108K miles.

OEM there is no other choice for that model, you could find a used lower mileage unit over in NASIOC, they've been ditching them for borlas reps for years and years. I bought one with around 10K on it for $150 shipped when my OEM unit went bad around 108K miles.

What would the equivalent of this pipe called or what year wrx pipes fit if I'm looking over on Nabisco?

"This is an adventure."

Archived