LegacyGT.com

What tires should i get for winter

elle

I haven't changed tires on my LGT yet.... and I stress yet... because it WILL be done.

I put BFGoodrich Traction T/A's on my Honda Accord before this and had absolutely NO problems with them in the snow, rain or even on ice.

I've never had any problems with BFGoodrich. I'll prolly put those on these 17" and run with some BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's on my 18" wheels for summer.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Are you a skier? Will you be driving to Vermont in blizzard conditions on a regular basis? If so, I would look in to a good set of snow tires. Otherwise, can get away with a good set of all-season tires. The Subaru AWD system is great in the snow. If you're driving around Boston and the roads are plowed well, you can probably get away with driving on the RE92s all winter.

There are many people out there that swear by snow tires during the winter. I'm not one of them. I don't see them necessary if you live in areas where they plow and you stay off the roads during the really bad storms. I've gone through 3 winters with my WRX driving on all-season tires. I've driven through some really bad stuff, but I avoid it when ever possible. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather have the performance during the majority of the winter. I'll take the snow days slow and steady.

Learn to drive the AWD system and you should have no problems this winter. :)

Remember...AWD only works when you're in gear and on the throttle. Maintain a steady speed for the conditions and brake before you turn and not during. :)

elle - Nokian. Have a search here for "Nokian," and you'll get plenty of recommendations from both our brothers up north, across the border, as well as those in the more snow-capped states.

They're pricy, but considering that you'll need a second set of wheels (OEM take-offs from members on this Forum are probably the best way to go< for price), anyway, you should be prepared to have a good budget to accommodate.

If you drive reasonably, though, and keep in-mind turning as well as stopping distances, even the stock RE92s will do well. Just know their limits, and yours.

Snow driving should never be something that's terrifying. If you're having problems, you may really be in need of some familiarity with your car or a have a refresher of your driving skills - or if you're new to driving in the snow, of course. :) I would recommend getting out to an empty, safe parking lot when it snows, and to get to know your car's snow behavior, even once you have "better" tires.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Are you a skier? Will you be driving to Vermont in blizzard conditions on a regular basis? If so, I would look in to a good set of snow tires. Otherwise, can get away with a good set of all-season tires. The Subaru AWD system is great in the snow. If you're driving around Boston and the roads are plowed well, you can probably get away with driving on the RE92s all winter.

There are many people out there that swear by snow tires during the winter. I'm not one of them. I don't see them necessary if you live in areas where they plow and you stay off the roads during the really bad storms. I've gone through 3 winters with my WRX driving on all-season tires. I've driven through some really bad stuff, but I avoid it when ever possible. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather have the performance during the majority of the winter. I'll take the snow days slow and steady.

Learn to drive the AWD system and you should have no problems this winter. :)

Remember...AWD only works when you're in gear and on the throttle. Maintain a steady speed for the conditions and brake before you turn and not during. :)

+100

I drove from Hamilton to Montreal and back every weekend last winter, through some terrible weather when really I should have stayed off the roads. And all on the stock tyres. Unless you expect to have to drive through virgin snow of approx 4" or deeper on a regular basis, I don't see the need for winter tyres. The all season tyres do not have the same snow traction, no doubt, but as long as you drive carefully and within your own and your tyres limits, you will be fine.

It all depends on your driving.

if you are going to be going nuts in the snow I would recommend Blizzak Ws-50s. They wear out quickly in the dry, and they handle like poop. They are a hardcore snow tire. If you want something with a better handling on dry, I would recommend Blizzak LM-22 or 25. Stiffer sidewall, but still great snow traction. If your on a budget, which I am, I would then get Hankook w-404. They are pretty cheap, handle well, well worth their price. Very close in performance to the Blizzaks. I just recently bought a set of mz-01's which are discontinued by Bridgestone, but I can't wait to try them in the snow.

But if you are just going to be driving around just to get home, a good set of All-Seaons will do you just fine. I've driven 3 winters through blizzards with the re92's. They are only decent and you have to learn how to drive on them and be careful.

Everyone should still remember that even though you have AWD, it won't help you stop any faster. Also, if there is a patch of ice, snow tire still might not be able to grip.

the wr's are all seasons, but nokian all seasons are rated with the snowflake on the mountain symbol the same as american snow tires.

Btw, anybody had both the nrw's and the wr's for comparison? I had the nrw's on a past vehicle, and wonder how the wr's compare.

I had a great experience with my Hakkapelitta Rsi's (205/50-17) last winter on my LGT. I also had Toyo Observe G02's on my Golf and they were incredible snow tires as well. Like some others on this board I like to have tires ready for the worst possible conditions even though there is a significant amount of time during winters here in Nova Scotia that the roads are clear and dry.

Everyone should still remember that even though you have AWD, it won't help you stop any faster. Also, if there is a patch of ice, snow tire still might not be able to grip.

+1 :)

Also, ABS may or may not help under snowy/icy conditions - and this is something to keep in-mind as well when thinking about your stopping distances.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I wonder how good the WR's are compared to the PZero Nero M+S in good weather.

I had a distributor (trans - someone who wasn't trying to get me to buy stuff off his floor) say that the in the 'nice' WRs would be a little louder and not handle as well as the PZNs - but in the 'nasty' the WRs would be every bit as good as a Dunlop M3.

I run the MZ-01 on my A4 in (NY) winter, and I have been very well pleased with them. My favorite, though, has been the michelin arctic alpin (now discontinued). It is a little better than the MZ, but not much, in the bad stuff, and a little worse in the dry.

Again, closer to hard core snow tires. The real strength of the ws-50 is in the ice and packed snow. like you said though, poopie in the dry - you can't push the tire much at all in the dry.

PS - Given the weather where I live, where I'm driving to, and my overall usage profiles - the last time I felt a need for true winter specific tires was for a 72 Firebird and a 72 Bug... I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I felt it was what was required. I just haven't felt that it was required.

(I also will not be re-mapping to 'stock' or 'econonomy' to reduce torque and the possibility of wheel-spin. ;) )

The Automobile Protection Association (APA) winter tire recommendations for 2004-05:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97

The above link does not contain all brands.

Nokian & Vredestein make excellent winter tires.

Last year I had TOYO Garit HT's (215/45/17) winter tires.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/GaritHT.asp

This was by far my best winter setup.

That's because it was my 1st winter with 4-wheel drive & winter tires.

The tire compound contains thousands of finely ground walnut shell particles.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/microbit.asp

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/tirespicts/Tires_lrg_ObservGaritHT.gif

I'm scared to death of driving in the snow.. and i need to know what kind of tires are good for winter (not too expensive please!).

elle, the cost of 215/45/17 winter tires will be expensive.

We are forced to use 17" winter tires/rims to clear our big brakes.

And 17" winter tires are expensive because that size is rare with little demand.

It's your safety get the winter tires.

And make sure the winter tire has the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

http://www.toyocanada.com/tireinfo/General_FAQs/M%2BSdesignation.html

snowsymbl.gif.2a5a44a9adb2e3ea7c4107541a796ddc.gif

elle, the cost of 215/45/17 winter tires will be expensive.

We are forced to use 17" winter tires/rims to clear our big brakes.

And 17" winter tires are expensive because that size is rare with little demand.

It's your safety get the winter tires.

And make sure the winter tire has the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

http://www.toyocanada.com/tireinfo/General_FAQs/M%2BSdesignation.html

And the mountain snowflake symbol is the only way to go! Four Season M+S is what I run in the summer in case we get snow at 8000 to 11000 feet during the summer.

We used steel wheels with studded Firestone Winterforce snow tires on our Outback here in Vail, CO. Tirerack.com had the Winterforce and wheel package last year, and presumable will again this year.

I think these tires are a real bargain and close in performance to the best Nokian, Gislaved, Bridgestone Blizzak snows I've owned. They drive well on dry or wet roads and last longer than the others.

I think the Nokian's get the highest score overall but cost more and wear faster, so I think they win on the on snow side and lose on the long drives on clean roads side.

The Blizzaks are the best for icy roads, but wear super fast and feel squirmy on dry roads.

aren't the WR's all-season tires?

Nokians are from (practically) the arctic circle :D An all-season from them is closer to a snow/winter tire for us. They don't really need a true summer tire up there.

:lol:

Archived