LegacyGT.com

What tires should i get for winter

elle

Nokians are from (practically) the arctic circle :D An all-season from them is closer to a snow/winter tire for us. They don't really need a true summer tire up there.

:lol:

I've looked at the Nokian 4 season and it is probably the best in class. If I drove mostly highway miles and rarely in snow, but I needed tread life and the ability to handle snow every so often, then I'd look seriously at these tires.

Right now, I run 8 wheels and tires on every vehicle I own.

I go for real high tread life and good snow and rain performance in my summer tires, and a top peforming snow tire that lasts two winters.

In Colorado, driving up to 11,000 feet I can see real winter conditions in May or September.

If the tires help me out for 15 seconds in a dangerous situation they paid for themselves.

Last May, I had a 2005 Outback loaner from a denver dealership while they prepped my new 2005 Outback. Near the Eisenhower Tunnel it got slick and traffic got heavy. These RE92's were so bad in snow that they wouldn't stop going uphill.

I don't think that is a safe tire.

I had a great experience with my Hakkapelitta Rsi's (205/50-17) last winter on my LGT. I also had Toyo Observe G02's on my Golf and they were incredible snow tires as well. Like some others on this board I like to have tires ready for the worst possible conditions even though there is a significant amount of time during winters here in Nova Scotia that the roads are clear and dry.

I agree 100%. The RSI's are fabulous winter tires that perform really well in rain/slush too. I put about 6K on mine last season and thus far can see virtually no treadwear, so I'm hoping to get a good 4 winters out of them. If you want insane on-snow/ice traction however, consider studded Nokian Hakka 2's.

I agree 100%. The RSI's are fabulous winter tires that perform really well in rain/slush too. I put about 6K on mine last season and thus far can see virtually no treadwear, so I'm hoping to get a good 4 winters out of them. If you want insane on-snow/ice traction however, consider studded Nokian Hakka 2's.

/homer mode/ mmmmmmm, ice . . . . Hakka2's . . . mmmmmmmmmmmm:dm:

/homer mode/:D

Anyone have any input as to whether or not the PZN M&S are a lot better than the stockers in snow?

I've had the PZN M+S on my car since last November and I'd say they're only average in the snow. We had quite a bit of snow up here last year. Maybe they're better than the stock tires but the Pirellis are no where near as good as dedicated snows (no doubt a result of the inherent compromise that is the essence of all season tires).

Anyway, if you're looking for good snow traction I wouldn't bank on the PZero Nero M+S tires - they seem relatively average to me. Of course, that could be a step up from the below average reports some folks give the Potenzas.

Seems like most ppl just want a simple recomendation - so just pick a tire for me & make it easy <G>. I can understand that. SOOOOO, if you really want a good winter tire, here's what I'd reco my Mom:

Don't want to think about this I just want an A/S tire, to use year round (but I'm terrified of snow): Mom, find thee a Nokian dealer and buy the WR's. Cool, so what's for dinner?

Winter tire only:

(1) don't care about squishy ride, terrified of snow and ice: Mom, get the blizzak WS-50

I think the Nokian RSI fits in here. Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Pls comment.

(2) Mostly gettin' the groceries, but we have those ski trips planned, so we have to stay on the tarmac driving on the turnpike: Mom, I think you'll want the Dunlop Graspic DS-2

(3) Mom, you're a leadfoot out there when it's dry, ya gotta chill in the snow: Get the blizzak LM-25, the Pilot Alpin PA2, or the Wintersport M3, if you like bridgestone, michelin, or dunlop, respectively; I think these are going to all feel real good.

This is what you can get from the tire rack (not Nokians), and I think that all of these winter tires are excellent in the categories I've put them in. You can't go wrong with these on a second set of wheels. If, you want all seasons and are terrified of snow, you can't go wrong with the Nokain WR (I haven't driven this tire but have heard very very good things about it). Same with the RSI.

G/L and can you ask Mom to make me some tuna casserole for dinner? =)

Hi guys, the information you're giving me is great.... i'll definitely do some more research into it. Can you help me on link for webpages on where i can go to look for this stuff, price it out, etc etc. Also pages comparing the different tires?

I just started working/just moved to the Boston area, so i'm poor as dirt! i need a tire that will last me a while but will hold up in the icky Boston snow! I drive 28 miles to get to work down the mass pike and rt 9 most of the way towards worcester. Can u also let me know what's a reasonable price to pay for the tires? How much would it cost to get them put on my car? you're really gonna have to start at the beginning with me... do i need to buy rims too and have the whole wheel changed? or can i just pop the tires off and put new ones on? :redface:

What is your budget? The best thing for you to do is just call up tirerack, and take their special winter offer for a full set of wheels & tires for the legacy. The ASA wheels are $99 each, extremely cheap for a 17, but they will bend easily, and their tire in this package is the graspic ds 2 for ~ $104. Tirerack will mount & balance for free and maybe you can get free shipping, but we're looking at $850 at least. but it is definately worth the money, and you can bolt those wheels right on at the first sign of winter.

As I said above, if you are going to run an allseason, ditch your 92's and buy the WR's. If money is that tight, run through this winter on your new 92's and save up for a good set of winters for next year.

I'll throw out another name for consideration: Vredestein

http://www.vredestein.com

I love my RSIs, but those who have or have had Vredestein's typically swear by them.

Except that in 215/45/17 you can only buy Wintrack Extreme which is a dedicated winter tire and it will cost you arm and a leg and maybe even an elbow.

Depending on where you are, it may be really hard to even find a place that would order them for you (and what are you going to do if you damage a tire?).

Just does not seem like a viable option for a lot of us.

Except that in 215/45/17 you can only buy Wintrack Extreme which is a dedicated winter tire and it will cost you arm and a leg and maybe even an elbow.

Depending on where you are, it may be really hard to even find a place that would order them for you (and what are you going to do if you damage a tire?).

Just does not seem like a viable option for a lot of us.

For a winter/snow tire, it is actually probably better to go with a 205/50/17. And if you want to you can run a 225/45/17. The three sizes, luckily, are very close in diameter for most of the tires that Ive been looking at.

Archived