LegacyGT.com

2.5i preferred oil brand

Ok so this is my first Subaru and in all my other cars and trucks I use the mobile one extended performance but from what I've been reading people say that subbies don't like the mobile one so I'd just like to hear from my fellow subbie owners what brand oil you use? And also I heard a lot of good things on the rottella t6 oil the 5w-40 but from what I seen is that a lot of lgt cars use this is the 40 weight safe to use or not? Great appreciation to who can guide me on this one

Yep, you can use the Shell Rotella T6 in your 2.5i, its actually a very good oil for H4 and H6 Subies. Others worth mentioning are 5W30 or 5W40 flavors of:

-Castrol Edge/Edge Titanium

-Motul 8100 EcoClean or EcoEnergy

-Amsoil 100% Signature Series

My personal preference would be Motul >> Shell >> Castrol >> Amsoil (cause of $$$).

I had a good experience running Rotella T6 for two oil changes, but have since switched to Motul (AZP Installs recommended) and its just as good if not better.

If you can change your oil every 3-4K miles, then any of these will do just fine.

In fact, almost any oil will (some guys on here really like the Pennzoil Ultra with frequent oil changes). If you plan to do 5K+ each oil change, then go with Shell or Amsoil.

Also check out my GB thread on the Nanotech mechanical oil additive.

You won't regret picking up a bottle for your 09.

I have an 06 with around 113k and before my 3k due date my check engine light came on and the code was the oil pressure solenoid and my dipstick was almost dry. No leakage or anything the mechanic could find. Going to keep an eye on it a lot closer now but what oil would you guys recommend for me and what interval? because apparently every 3k is too long?

Just don't let it get that low ever again. If it is so low that oil doesn't show on the dipstick, you are playing with fire. Hopefully the drop or low oil pressure that caused the CEL to be thrown didn't result in harm to the engine.

I didn't tighten my oil filter sufficiently once and had a very very mild oil burning smell for a few weeks before I decided to check it. I was 1/2 quart low in 1500 miles from just a couple drips at a time escaping the filter and burning off on the header. The car didn't used a drop after I put another 1/2 turn on the filter.

Just keep an eye on it.

Yep, you can use the Shell Rotella T6 in your 2.5i, its actually a very good oil for H4 and H6 Subies. Others worth mentioning are 5W30 or 5W40 flavors of:

My personal preference would be Motul >> Shell >> Castrol >> Amsoil (cause of $$$).

I had a good experience running Rotella T6 for two oil changes, but have since switched to Motul (AZP Installs recommended) and its just as good if not better.

If you can change your oil every 3-4K miles, then any of these will do just fine.

In fact, almost any oil will (some guys on here really like the Pennzoil Ultra with frequent oil changes). If you plan to do 5K+ each oil change, then go with Shell or Amsoil.

I heard very good things with am soil my buddy uses that in his ego he has but this shell rotella t6 that your talking about do they only make it in 5w40 or can you get it in 5w30? Owners manual calls for 5w30 but would a 5w40 hurt at all?

Also you wouldn't happen to have a link to that additive that your talking about do ya?

Gonna copy and paste what I said last year in response to a similar thread.. I'm at 144k right now, not 126k anymore.

Truthfully, any oil in my opinion. I've been running conventional oil for 80% of my cars life, and based off pictures of my valvetrain, and a few used oil analyses, it does a darn good job. I currently have 126k and have no plans to change.

I buy whatever name brand oil I can get at the cheapest price. For the past few years, that's been valvoline nextgen conventional since I've been able to get it virtually free after mail in rebate. Before then I ran havoline conventional oil since I was able to snag it at a great price. I've also run 3-4 jugs of g-oil bio based full synthetic oil (the base oil is basically made from animal fat) because I've also been able to get that completely free after rebate.

You can see pictures of my valvetrain here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/felpro-50561-vc-gasket-advance-auto-202755.html?t=202755

Heres a few of my used oil analyses showing very low wear levels with conventional, and I've attached a picture of my most recent used oil analysis. The most recent analysis was run so short because I wanted to change out the oil after I finished the valve cover gasket job.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2067546&Searchpage=1&Main=142306

Now, even though I'm saying conventional oil, there is one more thing to note. The only reason I use conventional is because my car consumes 1-1.5 quarts of oil over a 4,000-5,000 mile oil change interval. If my car didn't consume any oil, I would run synthetic even though I don't need to, and run it for 7,500mi or so.

Please don't waste your money on motor oil additives, they aren't necessary. The nanotech stuff sounds like molybdenum in a bottle. I haven't come across any evidence that suggests our engines need extra help from additives, plain motor oil (that already has a balanced, well thought out additive package) seems to do the job just fine.

I would just keep an eye on your oil level Eliott, check it at least once every 2 weeks. My car has always consumed oil, and I've never been able to figure out the source. Some people say oil just gets by the piston rings and burned. My total consumption has always been pretty much the same, but the rate at which it consumes oil over the course of an oil change interval varies, I think harder driving makes it consume more oil.

On my Impreza 2.5i I changed to Rotella T6 around 75k miles, the car seemed to really like it actually. I know 40 weight in a not turbo 4 banger, say what you want. No decrease in mpg, but the car was more peppy even towards the time of an oil change.

No issue with running 40 weight at all.

Rotella is very good for our cars. Try it.

Comes in nice 1-2 gallon jugs too (cheaper) or regular quarts.

Additive thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/group-buy-nanotech-lubricants-mechanical-oil-additive-220310.html

It would work great with the Shell oil.

What oil filter you run?

I run the t6 in everything I had present and past and wix filters, really ill use any synthetic media filters but the wix are a little cheaper than the k+n and mobile1 synth filters. I run it all year around but the climate I live in is pretty mild, we have only gone below freezing a few times this year.

I think the difference in amount burned during normal service is due to the flashpoint of the oil. Lower means you'll burn more of it. I do agree that any motor oil with a recognizable brand name is fine though. I use the Purolator 14612 filter because its better than OEM and Fram. Its cheaper too and easily found at discount stores.

• 1 month later...
If you're consuming that much oil, look into at least cleaning your PCV valve, if not replacing it. When I bought my 09, I was almost two quarts low after 3k miles. I replaced my PCV valve due to it being clogged (I probably could've just cleaned it but it was only $20). Since then, I've ran Pennzoil Full Syn because I get it free from my work. Now I only use about a half of a quart every 3k miles. I bought it less than a year ago with 59k miles on it and now I have 77k. I'm kinda nervous to replace my valve covers here soon because it was a girl that owned it before me. Who knows what the inside of the engine is going to look like lol

I know this might shock some of you but oh well. I have ran Amsoil SS series oil in all my cars and in my 08 Legacy since the car had 25,xxx miles. I bought the car in 2010 and it now has 138,xxx. I have had this car at PDX events and road corses, and now my wife daily drives it. (I retired her with all the parts on LOL) I have changed the oil out at 25K 26k, 27K Miles on the car to test the 25k or one year change. While checking it at least 4-5 times a month, I have found the oil to be clean still and start to get dirt at about 16k miles. I do not believe that changing your oil every 5k,or 7k. I don't really see the benefit of 3k, 5k or 7k miles as to 25k miles. I do use the Amsoil Eao filters only which filter better then what I have seen. I have even drained the oil to check it out in a grand am and it was clean after 10k mile so we put it back in. I saw someone say it cost, I been a dealer for years or if you are a preferred customers it cheaper the most synthetic oils. I do take care of this car like crazy, so I don't want people to think I am doing it harm by waiting 25K miles to change the oil.

So spec about my car:

All fluids Amsoil but the rad fluid which will be done.

Oil Amsoil SS 10w-30 or 5w-30 (does not burn but the normal).

Diff and trans all amsoil.

Car (motor) is stock but a T-tube that replaced the stock intake hose (still have the BOX)

All belts changed ( including timing and pulleys)

Plugs/Seals (NGK-R Iridum)

If you have any questions about what I have done just ask. (This is just what I have done and it works for me and all the cars I have had)

Is it really worth saving $50/year to risk the health of the motor? I wouldn't touch a car even with 25k mile oil changes even if it was not currently burning oil. I have seen a few extended oil changes 'tests', some of them have failed. My wife's toyota if you followed the factory recommended 15000 oil change schedule, those who did had sludging issues at 100k+. (I fortuntely didn't). The 2005 Legacy 2.5gt didn't do well with Subaru's 7500mile oil change schedule either.

Archived