LegacyGT.com

OK - WHICH Rotella oil?

I have read and re-read and searched and read some more. There is just a lot of repeated information that I believe is confusing. I know it is to me! Rotella has several different automobile products: t (Triple T or Triple Proection) T5 Semi-synthetic and T6 full synthetic.

Now this is not a full and complete list, but shot for the 5W-40 diesel oils. Which ONE is recommended. I have seen every one mentioned many times and never a single clarification by someone after saying - you mean T6 or you meant TTT or whatever.

So is the recommended Rotella the full synthetic or the Dino oil?

There may be different versions of Rotella, but only the T6 is 5-40. Its also the only FULL synthetic they offer.

Walmart has been the best buy lately. A couple months ago they had a $5 rebate on their bottles, so I snagged a few.

Thank you... I thought that would be the case, but using something as odd as diesel oil I wanted to make 100% sure before I messed up. $21.50 @ Walmart. Gotta find that coupon from Shell. ;)

Thanks!

it is diesel approved not diesel only. it is speced for diesel and gas but you cannot have gas only oil with enough zinc/phosphorus for the EJ.

Read the sticky about oil at the top of this forum.

I used to use rotella 15w-40 during the summer months back in 2005 to 2012, I would use what ever dino oil was on sale at walmart, i.e. Mobil 5000, Exxon, Shell, Texaco, for the first 154,000 miles, never had a bearing or wear issue. Oh yea, used Fram filters too.

After the ej257 was installed I'm now on Amsoil European 5W-40 full SAPS and their filter, with a 7000 mile OCI. My vf52 started out with the dino oil for it's first 12,000 miles.

Again my DD's are 32 miles one way. The wagon is headed back to VT after work today like most winter weekends.

These cars like to be driven for long distances, IMO short drives and being on the stock map is what kills them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Call me crazy but I'm running TTT 15w40 right now. its a little noisey valvetrain wise until it warms up. Just sent a sample of it to blackstone labs to see what they come up with. Its when I use this stuff that I don't burn as much oil as 5w30

Call me crazy but I'm running TTT 15w40 right now. its a little noisey valvetrain wise until it warms up. Just sent a sample of it to blackstone labs to see what they come up with. Its when I use this stuff that I don't burn as much oil as 5w30

Ok, your crazy.

A 15w is not the best oil for this time year. But in the biggier picture, as long as your engine isn't to noisy on start up...you should be ok.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I ran 15w in my n/a 2.2's, including one that went to 250k without issue. I'm not sure I would run it in a boosted vehicle in the winter, but if your Blackstone test checks out, I don't see why not.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a limit of 2

Interesting, you are correct. Does not show on the website

even though the paper I have clearly states it's there.

Since the promotion does not start til March 1st, maybe

it's not on the site til then....hhhmmmm....

Uh yeah, you're crazy. You shouldn't be running 15W with the weather we're having.

The $5 Mail in rebate stickers are back on the T6 jugs at WalMart. 21.36 for a jug, plus a $5 MIR is a pretty good deal. I grabbed a few.

Did the rebate sticker say what the limit is on how many rebates one person can get?

I did online order with in store pick up at the Wal-Mart's in Lisbon, CT it was only $19.99 for 1 gal container. I got 3 about a month ago.

I just checked now and there listing it for $21.36. So, I guess they fixed the price bug.

Archived