LegacyGT.com

MSD coilpack questions

I saw this before and reread it again. Looks like the wiring is the same wire for wire, but you have to turn the MSD unit around so the harness is on the drivers side (it's on the passenger's side on the stock coil.

However, the photo above in this thread shows the harness on the passengers side for the MSD... so still a little confused on which direction the MSD goes...

That would be a great idea!- especially we can make this thread into a sticky.

theres already a link to an extremely detailed MSD thread in the stickies

ya, his link in that other thread (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11704l) is what i used to wire mine. its very detailed and has good pics in it.

as for not ruining the coil, mine was bad anyway, so i wasnt going backwards either way. i also picked up a new one at the pick n pull with brand new plug wires for 12 bucks, as well as a neon coil. i have spares, i paid less for the harness and two coils with new plugs than you can get the OEM coil for lol.

i put the MSD in my wagon. after that, i was in a different yard and came across a neon with the coil on it, tested it and grabbed it for a few bucks. i also found a 97 impreza 2.2 with brand new plug wires and coil, so i grabbed those as well. so, now i have the MSD on my wagon with almost new oem plug wires, a good stock coil and a good neon coil sitting on the bench just in case. i may put the neon coil in the GT to see how different it runs, then upgrade to the MSD to see the change as well. im kind of curious. i got both coils and the plug wires for about 25 bucks, so it wasnt much of a waste to have extra parts to mess with.

Installed the coilpack the other day along with new ngk plugs and wires and have noticed a constant 3-4 mpg increase along with a better idle, a slight power increase and better throttle response. Next week im installing group n motor and transmission mounts. Can't wait to see what that'l do as well.

Installed the coilpack the other day along with new ngk plugs and wires and have noticed a constant 3-4 mpg increase along with a better idle, a slight power increase and better throttle response. Next week im installing group n motor and transmission mounts. Can't wait to see what that'l do as well.

That sounds sweet- just what I need for my EJ22! I put NGK plugs and wires in last summer but idle was still rough and has gotten a bit rougher recently. Also, MPG's dropped from 27 down to 24 since Fall but I'm thinking a lot of that is because it's winter. Will order mine soon- might wait until we're down with bad weather to put mine in however.

Have you replaced your air & fuel filters? These will help nicely if you haven't.

More people need to start doing this mod. It makes me sad to see all even all of the highly modified Subarus without these coils underneath their hoods.

OK- almost set. Neon coil wire connector received from Rock Auto, just picked up the correct bolts and assorted heat shrink connectors from Lowes, MSD coil arrives tomorrow. I'm tempted to put it on right away (sick of my idle rattling the windows- well almost), but if something were to go wrong with the install I don't want to be without my Leggy for the snowstorm coming Thursday.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but I need to know what wires to order. I purchased an MSD coil and NGK plugs second hand, but they were all new. Anyway, I never bothered to ask what engine the wires were for. They were for a 2.2, not the 25 in my 97 GT. They were far to short. My dads car needed wires and they fit fine for him, so it wasn't a total loss

Anyway, what year wires do I need to order to fir the engine in my 97 2.5GT? I thought I remember reading that wires for 99 fit, but I can't find that again and just want to be 100% sure.

The wiring harness needs to be a Dodge plug in order to fit the MSD coil (I believe pick a year between 1996- 2004 and they all should be the same). I believe there is a difference in wiring up a 2.2 vs, 2.5 but the wiring pattern for the new plug should go on the same as the old Subaru wiring you are cutting off.

I've got the wiring done no problem. Just the plug wires I originally had were way to short (they fit the 2.2). And the early 2.5 wires don't have the right end on them to fit into the coil. I have to get 98 and newer wires.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, still trying to figure out the wiring. some people have the coilpack mounted with the connector on the right and some people have the coil pack connector on the left.

So which is which?

Wouldnt the outer two wires need to be swapped if rotating the coil pack one way versus the other?

Any help greatly appreciated as Im trying to install this today.

Edit: What would happen if the outer two wires wwere wrong and the car was cranked?

Also, still trying to figure out the wiring. some people have the coilpack mounted with the connector on the right and some people have the coil pack connector on the left.

So which is which?

Wouldnt the outer two wires need to be swapped if rotating the coil pack one way versus the other?

Any help greatly appreciated as Im trying to install this today.

Edit: What would happen if the outer two wires were wrong and the car was cranked?

I believe you are right about swapping the two outside wires on the wiring harness if you switch the orientation of the coil around.

And I did figure this out by putting those two wires in the wrong location. The car just didn't start, so I switched them around and it fired right up.

Archived