LegacyGT.com

off-road; 5MT vs. jdm STi 6MT

K2e2vin

So I have a 6mt from a JDM 2007 STi sitting at the house and was thinking of swapping it in. A local Subaru enthusiast stated that a front LSD doesn't work too well for turn-in in the snow and that the stock open LSD would be better.

Now, I don't always take my car in the snow or mud but I definitely do not take it on road courses, so I'd prefer it to do better in snow. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

• Moderators

"turn-in in the snow" really shouldn't apply to your decision unless you are racing on snow. In daily driving conditions how about just slow the hell down because no front diff is going to help you if you're going too fast :rolleyes:

6mt is greater than 5mt. hope you have a matching rear diff for the transmission you have though--and the linkage, driveshaft, rear axles, etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I just need a driveshaft and rear axles to install it. I have everything else...I've just been lazy. I originally purchased the whole swap but just installed the engine.

Nope, I don't race in the snow. I do have to deal with a lot of tight turns going up/down the mountain though. The 5MT is fine for that, I was just a little curious when the guy brought up the "issue" with the front diff. He didn't say a FLSD would be bad, just that an open front works better. I've never driven an STi in the snow so I was hoping someone who've driven both in the snow could shed some light.

i swapped in a oem sti front lsd in my spec. and i can tell you without a doubt that my car is much much better in the snow now then it was previously with its stock open diff. It now has true all wheel drive all the time!!!. It tends to over steer a bit more now in hard cornering, however it is easy to correct. Its a nice feeling when you can feel the front tires bite into the road!!

Archived