LegacyGT.com

Canadian 05 OBXT build -- winter beater

VEX_JB

I have a question for you vex... seeing as you have some experience with running wheels on your outback now, I was looking at some 18x8.5 et35 and I was looking at running 225/40r18 tires, do you think that might be possible without rubbing like crazy? I am running 18x8.5 et48 with 235/45r18 right now on stock LGT suspension/ slightly rolled fenders and it just barely rubs when I hit big bumps and steep "driveway" entries. if not you still have those GR BBS wheels still sitting around? lol

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn! :rolleyes: was worth a shot asking. lol ever since I saw a picture of your car with those BBS wheels I have been looking for them but no one wants to sell them and if they do, they want and obscene amount of money for them. (found this forum from looking at wheel pictures of your car on google)btw how are you fitting those 18x9.5 under the fenders without sticking out, or is that just a typo? Im dreading asking what a set ok WORK miester MR1's are... I can only imagine they are well beyond my approximate $1500 budget for wheels. I really want to go with something that no a lot of other people have on our cars. the wheel I was looking at before was a mesh wheel with no rivets on it, the center was gold and the lip was machined and I think it would look really simple yet nice on a red ouback... not too much gold but just enough.

If you can up your budget to around 1800-2000 we can get you into some really nice Rays wheels :)

No typo, they are 18x9.5 that I'm running. It rubs in the rear, had to take the flares off and roll the fenders a bit. If I had better suspension I could run it lower, but the Swift Springs are pretty soft. 2 people or some gear in the hatch and it rubs with every bump i hit. Right now I have the flare rubbing on the edge of the wheel, I just need to shave the flare a bit and it'll be perfect.

Eventually I'll do some KW's and be able to make it a bit firmer.

I bought my GR wheels for a reasonable price, they had poor paint and a bit of damage but I refinished them and they looked awesome. It's Subaru country up here where we are in Canada, so there's tons of those BBS wheels kicking around. Usually they sell for 1000-1200 for a set in decent shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I must have forgotten all about this thread, haven't updated this in a long time!

Ended up pulling off the Q300 exhaust, and building a new rear section with A'PEXi WS2 mufflers. Much quieter now. Also reinstalled a Supertrapp dump tube muffler and this time welded it to the dump tube lol. (the last one I had clamped on fell off at the last SEMA somewhere between Calgary and Vegas)

Added a FMIC as well, all custom built, and using a Greddy core.

Car's been pretty good to me, but I kept having fuel issues. After pulling the hanger and replacing the o-rings for the 6th time, I finally got fed up and messaged my friend at Radium to send me a (GR/GV) STi fuel hanger to test the fitment on the OBXT. I knew the GR and OBXT/LGT hangers were identical, but sometimes Subaru changes up minor things that can really hinder the install and functionality.

https://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Subaru-P706.aspx

I'm using their hanger with a Walbro 267 pump (435LPH). I usually run one of these single pumps in Supra's I build that are around 700whp. This will be more than enough fuel for my little boxer engine.

I was able to fit it and confirm fitment for a few other applications.

I went a step further and removed the lines that cross over the top of the tank. I built my own lines with AN hose ends to achieve a lower profile clearance for under the rear seat and tank cover plate. Bypassed the factory fuel pump controller, and built a specific fuse and relay for the new pump. The factory pump is controlled with a pulsed output while the new setup is a direct battery voltage setup for the most fuel volume possible. Fuel level and temp work perfectly also!

The only "issue" you'll run into is the code for the fuel pump control circuit. Pretty simple to lock it out of the ECU.

23422651996_bdba6dd077_b.jpg

22820455334_40fca60c7e_b.jpg

23153006630_fd0f1e9e63_b.jpg

23152977140_280c5d930b_b.jpg

For the first time since owning this car, I have consistent fuel delivery and all of my fueling issues at high power are gone. Pretty stoked about that.

Other than that, I've added a different set of wheels:

17201158159_888a222cce_b.jpg

Weds TC105N 18x9.5 - 17lb per wheel. Nitto NT05 tires for summer, Nokian Hakka 8's for winter

Switched up some brake and clutch stuff as well:

-Brembo gold calipers off an 04 STi

-05 STi Brake booster (thanks snackers)

-06 STi Brake Master cylinder BNIB

-06 STi Clutch Master cylinder BNIB

-Custom clutch hardline

-DBA5000 series front rotors

-DBA4000 series rear rotors

-KNS rear caliper adapter brackets

-Goodridge Stainless steel lines

After all that work, on my way down through Idaho, we hit a deer around 11PM. So had to go the full 2wks with a damaged car, which kinda sucks because I was also registered for Subie Invasion in Las Vegas.

22600067836_2fc014ce49_b.jpg

22637294781_0df0fcd2c5_b.jpg

But continued along our trip. After SEMA I had the car detailed by a place called Windy City in Vegas....the did an unreal job inside and out, and it was $35. I wish it was possible to find that service for that price locally!

23423704306_3512f2bcf6_b.jpg

Filled up with some Rebel 100 octane while I was out there and stopped by All Access Tuning and had Devin baseline my car just for shits and giggles. Looks like his dyno is also calibrated correctly, and a heartbreaker. Car made the exact same power as it does on ours, 370whp @ 20psi.

23423665686_7617781213_b.jpg

22822663193_36d1c4d78c_b.jpg

When I got back home to Canada there was lots of snow on the ground. Ended up grenading my stock LGT rear diff and bending one of the axles. Swapped out to an 05 STi rear diff and LGT Spec B axles.

This diff works a ton better in the snow, car is much easier to rotate and I have a ton more traction!

Some more pics:

24593626636_48a834e338_b.jpg

23992990433_848386d73c_b.jpg

I absolutely love your car. It makes me wish I'd bought an OBXT instead of an LGT in the first place.

How audible is the EWG with the Supertrapp? I'm debating between that and rerouting into the exhaust. I'd love to open up the top end a bit more, but love staying fairly quiet at full throttle.

I absolutely love your car. It makes me wish I'd bought an OBXT instead of an LGT in the first place.

How audible is the EWG with the Supertrapp? I'm debating between that and rerouting into the exhaust. I'd love to open up the top end a bit more, but love staying fairly quiet at full throttle.

Listen to the dyno vid. It's still audible but very quiet.

I'd give it a shot, the mufflers are like $70 from Summit Racing. Would save you a lot of work to just tack that on instead of re-reouting everything.

Listen to the dyno vid. It's still audible but very quiet.

I'd give it a shot, the mufflers are like $70 from Summit Racing. Would save you a lot of work to just tack that on instead of re-reouting everything.

I listened and couldn't clearly hear it - I figured that was a good sign. With all the noise, I figured it was worth asking.

I'll have to consider that, especially if it stays under AutoX noise limits.

• 11 months later...

Car is now sold, and en route to Vancouver, BC. Very happy to see it go to a good home and a good owner, but sad as I'm really going to miss it. :'(

Maybe I'll build another a few years from now.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived