LegacyGT.com

Top mount fitment issues after BNR16 swap

As the title states. I installed a BNR16 a few days ago and after that my intercooler no longer lined up with the turbo if I installed the throttle body hose / support bracket first. If I lined up the turbo first then the support bracket on the left side is way off.

I looked at slightly re-clocking the turbo but I'd have to remove it off the car again to do this so I decided not to. After all, the coolant support tabs lined up perfectly on the turbo so it couldn't really be clocked wrong...can it?

I got around this by drilling a new hole in the left support bracket, intake side. That is held to the intake now by only one bolt but seems fine.

I haven't tried to fit the engine cover back on. I'd pretty much removed it after the BPIC mod because it didn't sit right after that.

Any idea why? It didn't look like there's any adjustment in the way the turbo is mounted to the up pipe. I did replace the stock up with a STI up but was under the impression the dimensions are exactly the same.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Yeah dude, funs times huh?

Mine was way off too (I posted a pic in the bolt on turbo upgrade thread) and I did the exact same thing. IC bracket on drivers side has an extra hole now. And your engine cover no longer fits.

The up pipe flange on the turbine side housing and the IC flange on the compressor housing should be parallel and sounds like yours aren't either.

Sorry to hear about that man, I thought he got that all figured out months ago when we made a big stink about it in the bolt on turbo thread :-/

I'm waiting until spring to pull my 3k mile old BNR off to reclock it.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Why would the oil drain tube be off, your adjusting the compressor housing and may be the turbine housing, the center section needs to stay in the correct position.

If your oil drain doesn't line up you need to clock the housings more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the input guys. I really REALLY wish I had red about this prior to installing it on my car. I ended up drilling a new hole in the intercooler support bracket and it seems to be holding fine.

Engine cover has been on a shelf in my garage since I got the car so no big deal to me there.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Archived