LegacyGT.com

legacy versus accord

njrick

I've been road racing for 10+ years, so I am fairly sure I know what a sports car is. :)

I ask this then, if your friend is a 15 year subie tech, and they were so awful, why did he let you buy one? :)

I guess you are missing the :) here as for "fanboi" I own several cars that are not subarus, and switch them every 2 years or so.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I owned an 8th gen accord coupe v6 for 4 years and had to go to a 4dr cuz baby. Before that I drove a CRV for ~10yrs. I can say that cornering in the LGT is much more fun vs the Accord. My LGT is currently stock other than Morimoto HIDs, and the Accord had an upgraded 21mm sway bar. As far as reliability, the Accord was solid with nothing more than maintenance stuff. I've only owned my LGT for about 6 months, but so far no issues. I will say that the Accord never put a smile on my face the way the LGT has, hope that helps njrick.

I'd go for the Accord. I drove a friend's recently and it was an absolute blast. The exhaust sounds fantastic too. Coming from sentra se-r spec-v i believe there is such a thing as fwd performance

And i just recently purchased a 2005 legacy gt wagon (need the space for trips and all wheel drive for skiing)

are you considering any other vehicles?

I drove the Accord sedan at two dealers last year. I was impressed with the handling on a winding road, but both times when I got back into my LGT (2005, smaller than the new ones) I just enjoyed driving it so much more - low-to-the ground sports handling - that I easily decided to keep the LGT.

thanks for all the helpful responses. It's now between a accord coupe v6 and a legacy. If there is a legacy gt for 2015 ill finance that and that will be the end of that. but that's a whole different discussion.

As nice as the v6 coupe is, somethings telling me not to go with FWD

I ask this then, if your friend is a 15 year subie tech, and they were so awful, why did he let you buy one? :)

Take a wild guess how we became friends. I'll give you a hint . . . it has something to do with the fact that I was at the dealership every other week for two years due to warranty work. ;) Had we been friends previous to the purchase, there's NO WAY I would have gone with the LGT. It has great performance potential, but way too many headaches to make it worth while IMO.

I'm interested to try an accord coupe or v6, but I think in my opinion, the awd offers better handling than fwd.

That's absolutely true . . . if it's done right. The 05-09 LGT's handled like minivans right off the lot, which made the Accord the better handling choice stock for stock. Go aftermarket with sways, endlinks, springs, and decent tires, and the advantage swings strongly in the LGT's favor.

hello all

i am cross shopping the new accord coupe and the legacy models

the awd isn't necessary for the weather I will be driving in but I am intrigued by the claim that awd handles better on dry roads than fwd. although neither of the cars are performance cars, I will by the one that's more fun to drive. The accord has more power and better mpg, but if the legacy has better handling and is more engaging than the accord, it will be my next car

would love to hear this forums opinion :)

AWD alone doesn't mean a car will handle well on dry roads. There's so many forms of awd systems out there, even Subaru has variances in their AWD between models. No current (or past) Legacy is a great handler right off the showroom floor, at least not any USDM Legacies.

Most of the time, AWD is more of a hindrance for dry road performance. Even Subaru's AWD adds a bit of weight, but more importantly, the engine sticks out in front of the front axles giving a crappy weight distribution. If the engine in my LGT sat between the front wheels, it'd be a hell of a handler at this point.

BTW, why just the Accord and Legacy? At first I figured you wanted something roomy, but then you said the Accord Coupe (which is nice but tight in the rear).

Few examples: Now and in the spring when there is a lot of sand on the road, FWD will easily spin the tires; AWD will not. You can maintain speed/accelerate through a turn much better with AWD over FWD.

So for the Accord V6 FWD, you have to be more concerned about wheel spin while having fun will this is of a lesser concerned with the 3.6R H6. The Honda may be faster straight but the 3.6R Legacy may brake better (but have not looked as the specs recently.)

Can you define what "fun to drive" means to you?

Find a fun road and test drive both of them.

AWD alone doesn't mean a car will handle well on dry roads. There's so many forms of awd systems out there, even Subaru has variances in their AWD between models. No current (or past) Legacy is a great handler right off the showroom floor, at least not any USDM Legacies.

Most of the time, AWD is more of a hindrance for dry road performance. Even Subaru's AWD adds a bit of weight, but more importantly, the engine sticks out in front of the front axles giving a crappy weight distribution. If the engine in my LGT sat between the front wheels, it'd be a hell of a handler at this point.

BTW, why just the Accord and Legacy? At first I figured you wanted something roomy, but then you said the Accord Coupe (which is nice but tight in the rear).

I want something reliable and practical, with a good amount of cargo space, but I won't use the back sears often. A small hatch is an option but I prefer a bigger car like the legacy or accord. At this point I think I'd go with the accord over the current legacy but I'm think I'l wait until the next gen legacy is revealed

both good considerations

The WRX is very appealing, but with higher fuel and insurance costs, less reliability, I'd prefer a legacy or accord. The WRX would probably b my third choice.

I do get a lot of snow by me and while I can get by with FWD I don't think I can with RWD. Plus, if I'm gonna buy a used Cadillac, I might as well get a used accord or legacy and save even more money

Or you can get a good deal on a Cadillac ATS 2.0t like I did. Buying a manual RWD in a luxury segment car can save you some dough.

You got one too huh? Welcome to the club! :)

both good considerations

The WRX is very appealing, but with higher fuel and insurance costs, less reliability, I'd prefer a legacy or accord. The WRX would probably b my third choice.

I do get a lot of snow by me and while I can get by with FWD I don't think I can with RWD. Plus, if I'm gonna buy a used Cadillac, I might as well get a used accord or legacy and save even more money

I didn't want to be that guy that always suggests the car he has (or one of them) but someone on the Caddy forums just picked up a leftover 2013 2.0t for under 30k. That's a smoking hot deal. As far as snow is concerned, we just took it up to Albany over the weekend to see family. I put Blizzaks on it last week and it performed excellently in the snow.

While a turbo ATS certainly has a higher price point compared to a Legacy or Accord, the money is well spent. The chassis and suspension on the ATS is phenomenal. It's well worth a test drive.

Yes, I had a choice between Performance trim ATS AWD 3.6 Auto without the Magnetic Ride Control or a the Premium 2.0t manual RWD with MRC.

I went with a brand new, 2013 Premium, 34,750$. I wanted suspension that I won't need to upgrade and I love the clutch pedal feel and shifter. Very comfortable on potholes but tightens up in corners. It has two settings, Touring and Sport. Best blend of comfort and performance. I've been driving on ice and snow for the last month and it drives great on Blizzaks.

I will miss the Legacy GT since it was my first car that I bought on my own and have lots of great memories with it.

Back on topic, I recently drove my dad's 2013 4-cyl Honda Accord and it was great. Excellent steering and taught suspension. The revised body flows much better and it's bigger inside then it looks. Very solid build quality.

OP, drive both the Legacy and Accord. Wish the 2013 Legacy came in a GT trim but the 3.6 should be a good choice for your needs, just get a rear sway bar.

I'm a Honda car guy at heart but I still love my subaru.

Thefts in the Honda community is just too high regardless of what model you drive.

If I didn't live in a state where it snowed for most of the year, I would be driving a S2000.

RWD is where its at.

Or you can get a good deal on a Cadillac ATS 2.0t like I did. Buying a manual RWD in a luxury segment car can save you some dough.

The 2.0 isn't a slug in a heavy caddy?

I'm in the market for an ATS or CTSV or CTSV-Sport currently, I had an 05 CTS-V and regret selling it! Any luxury slightly used car can be had a huge discount. I traded in my 2010 335ix Sedan that stickered at $50K+ for $25k recently so there are definitely some deals out there!

-mike

The 2.0 isn't a slug in a heavy caddy?

I'm in the market for an ATS or CTSV or CTSV-Sport currently, I had an 05 CTS-V and regret selling it! Any luxury slightly used car can be had a huge discount. I traded in my 2010 335ix Sedan that stickered at $50K+ for $25k recently so there are definitely some deals out there!

-mike

The 2.0t ATS is the lightest in its class at 3400 lbs. it'll hit 60 in the mid 5s with the manual and peak torque is available from 1700 rpms. It responds pretty well to tuning and has all of the hardware for e85 already installed from the factory.

The ATS V should be coming out late this year or early next year with a 3.6 ttv6.

Consider a new Focus ST 5 door if you're looking for a hatch. My wife has an 07 and they have improved tremendously in the new generation. And the turbo in the ST makes insane torque. Lots of fun to drive, handles nicely, and doesn't draw a ton of attention. The best part is the factory incentives you can get on American cars. I got quotes on two new cars: 0% for sixty months with a sunroof at $24,500 and one without options for $21,500.

Personally I am tired of FWD so it's not an option, but it would be worth your while to take a test drive.

Yes, the 2.0t has very little lag and for daily driving it feels faster than the legacy, in the low rpms. But up top the stage 1 legacy is a champ. I'm planning on getting a E85 tune as soon as I can.

Yes, the 2.0t has very little lag and for daily driving it feels faster than the legacy, in the low rpms. But up top the stage 1 legacy is a champ. I'm planning on getting a E85 tune as soon as I can.

Very nice, I would say if I were looking at a LGT Sedan I would have to give the ATS 2.0t a hard look for sure. Weight should be roughly the same, and I had very positive experience with my 05 V.

-mike

I test drove both Mazda 6 and the new accord. I chose the Legacy because the drive was more engaging and the car felt much more solid than the accord. The 6 was a close second but the depreciation on Mazda is pretty bad and the body panels felt too thin when closing the doors. I know it's subjective but I traded a 2012 4runner for a 14 legacy. I have never owned a Subaru so I was willing to give it a try. For me, the accord was too blah and the tire noise was still horrible. The Legacy was quiet minus some cvt noise when pushed and is still an enjoyable drive. I prefer driving it over our 2012 MDX!

The other main factor for me was the safety reviews were top notch for the Legacy. The accord was only 4 stars and the Mazda was not yet tested.

Like others have said test drive both and let the car speak to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...after reading a few more posts I am really starting to understand the emotional connection to Subaru. Each post really brings out the style of each individual and their driving as well. I drive a 2.5i and the fun factor is waaay better than the accord, I just know that the new accord will save you more money with its layout granted it's the four cylinder as well. So in summary (Accord = after 40yrs old) (Subaru = before 40yrs old).

Archived