LegacyGT.com

Hi to all,

I have had my 08 legacy 2.5i for a couple of yrs now, and i have the mod bug coming back. i cant ignore the itch any more. so i am here to get opinions and advice from you guys. FYI i last car was an 04 Forester XT with a full STi swap. engine, trans, rear 180 diff, DCCD, brembos. the whole nine yards including a 20G turbo tuned at 400whp with ecutech. so i have a little experience modding.

this time though, i want to go with a 2L JDM set up. I want some opinions on turbo set ups. i dont mind going rotated. maybe keep it sleeper. FMIC... no hood scoop. i like the sleeper setup.

looking to achieve around 450-500whp. i know the 2L JDM comes with a twin scroll turbo. would a GT35 be the way to go?

You want to swap in a JDM TS setup or a TS setup period into your FXT or your 2.5i?

I think it's for the JDM 2.0 motor rather than the TS setup, which is a good choice. I'd say swap the bottom end with the forged JDM stuff, CNC port-match and upgrade your current heads/cams, keep/reverse your NA intake manifold, slap on a rotated BW or Precision TS turbo, and go standalone (less re-wiring) with a Hydra or VIPEC type setup. At that point, you'll only need to replace everything else: suspension, wheels, brakes, interior, etc. You'd be faster than your friend's S4, but he'd have a much nicer car with less money in it :lol:
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Yes indeed 300whp is a sweet spot on the subies. trouble free and fun all day long. thing is, today almost all cars come with about 300hp. take my minivan van for example :lol: 283hp. my friend bought the new s4 and does mid 12s all day long at the track. if i do go along with the swap, by default i'll have the 300hp. then its just a matter of turbos and tune. i think the GT30 is a sweet turbo with less lag than the GT35, i'll be looking at 420hp at that point.

i'll go ewg for sure :cool:.

Let's not get whp and hp mixed up, two different power levels.

My DD wagon is a blast to drive and get decent mpg. With 181818 miles on the chassis, it's going back to VT afterwork today in the snowstorm we're getting here.

Make sure your son understands, "there is a time and place for everything" Big whp needs to be respected by a teenager. My son did fine with the civic at 285whp then 425whp, which is when he said this car is to fast for the street, he was 18y/o at that time. The 1.6L had a GT35R then a GT3576R. It would break the tires loose in the top end of every gear on the street.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes indeed 300whp is a sweet spot on the subies. trouble free and fun all day long. thing is, today almost all cars come with about 300hp. take my minivan van for example :lol: 283hp. my friend bought the new s4 and does mid 12s all day long at the track. if i do go along with the swap, by default i'll have the 300hp. then its just a matter of turbos and tune. i think the GT30 is a sweet turbo with less lag than the GT35, i'll be looking at 420hp at that point.

i'll go ewg for sure :cool:.

I've driven a v6 accord that has 270 crank power that didn't feel fast at all. My car with 310whp feels 100 percent faster. S4's are very nice but cost much more then the 11k I paid for my car. I wish you good luck on your build

I've driven a v6 accord that has 270 crank power that didn't feel fast at all. My car with 310whp feels 100 percent faster. S4's are very nice but cost much more then the 11k I paid for my car. I wish you good luck on your build

Didnt feel fast because it's not got more tq then hp. My s2000 feels slower then my subi with twice the tq but will walk away from it off the line.

I had a Ver8 JDM swap in a 04 WRX. If you're buying a Ver8 that hasn't been re-built the motor will need to be torn down. Ver9 have the pesky immobilizer you have to work around.

You're gonna need to select the right turbo. 500whp is tough on a 2.0 JDM motor. low-mid 400's is the extent of daily driver-ability with these motors.

If you want 500whp buy yourself a mustang. It will be cheaper and much less of a headache.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Archived