LegacyGT.com

Finally back in a performance car!

If you don't want to share, I fully understand, but curious how much $$ you're out for the initial car, and the fixes/upgrades so far?

Mainly to convince myself I don't have enough $$$ saved to try this myself anytime soon :lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if 1/4 mile is all you care about a blown or turbocharged GM performance LSX iron block build would be cheaper (by a little) than sticking with aluminum.

If I had the $$$ though, for a Z06 I would stick with aluminum for block material, and to keep the motor more throttle responsive and simple I'd stick with natural aspiration. Just add more displacement and of course build it with parts that can support around 470 cubic inches. For longevity I would probably not stroke a tall deck block out to the max stroke to avoid wearing out piston skirts prematurely.

How much power are you looking to make?

I'd love 560+whp with a street friendly cam, then 650-700 on the bottle. Any more and the stock sleeves/pistons are ticking time bombs. Sometimes I see guys with 1000+ to the wheels and I get jealous, but then I realize they've turned their car into a one trick pony for the straight line. Just want to hit 9's on the stock shortblock, driven to and from the track as is. :)

Some day I'll make it to the road course...

If you don't want to share, I fully understand, but curious how much $$ you're out for the initial car, and the fixes/upgrades so far?

Mainly to convince myself I don't have enough $$$ saved to try this myself anytime soon :lol:

Car was $42k 2 years ago, parts/fixes were about $15k so far (heads, cam, gaskets, c5r timing chain, pushrods, lifters & trays, clutch, tick master cyl, slave, remote bleeder, FW, c5 axles, tow hooks, weld drag wheels/tires, new Michelin PSS street tires, alignment, etc)

You can find these for $35k if you don't mind 40k+ miles, and plan on dropping another $3k minimum to fix the heads right off the bat.

I'd love 560+whp with a street friendly cam, then 650-700 on the bottle. Any more and the stock sleeves/pistons are ticking time bombs. Sometimes I see guys with 1000+ to the wheels and I get jealous, but then I realize they've turned their car into a one trick pony for the straight line. Just want to hit 9's on the stock shortblock, driven to and from the track as is. :)

Some day I'll make it to the road course...

Car was $42k 2 years ago, parts/fixes were about $15k so far (heads, cam, gaskets, c5r timing chain, pushrods, lifters & trays, clutch, tick master cyl, slave, remote bleeder, FW, c5 axles, tow hooks, weld drag wheels/tires, new Michelin PSS street tires, alignment, etc)

You can find these for $35k if you don't mind 40k+ miles, and plan on dropping another $3k minimum to fix the heads right off the bat.

I'll just leave this here, even though you've probably seen it. Just to make you want it....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J76Htu2vGaM]Amazing New NRE 712 HP 474 CI Chevy LS Engine! Under 400 Pounds! Nelson Racing Engines. - YouTube[/ame]

Nevermind it is MSD that has one out. Looks interesting.

It's ugly as hell, but works better than the FAST. Even better once it's ported. Plus you don't need aftermarket fuel rails like you do with the FAST. I'll pay extra to get rid of the stupid red lettering.

Well if 1/4 mile is all you care about a blown or turbocharged GM performance LSX iron block build would be cheaper (by a little) than sticking with aluminum.

If I had the $$$ though, for a Z06 I would stick with aluminum for block material, and to keep the motor more throttle responsive and simple I'd stick with natural aspiration. Just add more displacement and of course build it with parts that can support around 470 cubic inches. For longevity I would probably not stroke a tall deck block out to the max stroke to avoid wearing out piston skirts prematurely.

How much power are you looking to make?

To go that big he would need to have the block resleeved.

Just go to the junk yard, get a 5.3 out of a gm truck boost it on e85 and make 800whp for around 6k-7k. It's pretty common these days. Sell your ls7 for 11k and buy a back up turbo 5.3 liter for when the first one blows. :lol:

The nice thing about the 5.3 liter is the lower comp ratio means guys are running 10-12 psi on 93 making 600+whp with 78mm or so turbos with a boost cam and heads and upper teens some even low 20s psi on e85. Also the LM7 can be had for 500 for the long block.

I have never been a huge fan of rear mount turbos. Too much piping. There are a few pros, such as cooler air on the turbo and in the engine bay. More room in the engine bay etc. But who really wants 15 foot piping and oil lines.

To go that big he would need to have the block resleeved.

Just go to the junk yard, get a 5.3 out of a gm truck boost it on e85 and make 800whp for around 6k-7k. It's pretty common these days. Sell your ls7 for 11k and buy a back up turbo 5.3 liter for when the first one blows. :lol:

I wouldn't do that, it is going to kill the resale value of his Z06 Corvette.

Also, I don't know how different the 5th gen SB 5.3 is from the 4th Gen 5.3 (which is pretty much phased out) but likely in 6 to 8 years the supply of low mile 4th gen is going to be gone and he will need to another conversion. I did this with another readily junkyard motor series, the cheap replacement supply no longer exists.

And air filter placement is in the worst possible spot if you actually drive the car in any weather.

Sounds like you might be going the boosted iron block route for your c5...

Nah, I'm looking at older cars right now. Not sure what I'm going to buy or what engine route I'm going to take. I like HP but I race far less than I used to.

I wouldn't do that, it is going to kill the resale value of his Z06 Corvette.

Also, I don't know how different the 5th gen SB 5.3 is from the 4th Gen 5.3 (which is pretty much phased out) but likely in 6 to 8 years the supply of low mile 4th gen is going to be gone and he will need to another conversion. I did this with another readily junkyard motor series, the cheap replacement supply no longer exists.

Yea, I was joking a bit with the c6 z06 with a junk yard engine.

As for the supply this not sure exactly how many they made but there are like 10 different 5.3 liters used in over a dozen models from 1999 through 2009. Some are alum block though and some have a higher comp pistons.

As for the supply this not sure exactly how many they made but there are like 10 different 5.3 liters used in over a dozen models from 1999 through 2009. Some are alum block though and some have a higher comp pistons.

It isn't about total supply engines, its about the supply of quality low mileage motors worth doing a swap. I am sure their will be plenty of core for a while.

To put it in perspective, think about buying another 2005 Legacy GT. How hard would it to be to find a low mileage example to modify?

It isn't about total supply engines, its about the supply of quality low mileage motors worth doing a swap. I am sure their will be plenty of core for a while.

To put it in perspective, think about buying another 2005 Legacy GT. How hard would it to be to find a low mileage example to modify?

From what I've seen, guys are taking motors with 150k+ and throwing them in cars, adding boost, and running 9's without issue. A local guy went 8's in his foxbody, but he's gone 6 bolt LSX after the second junkyard motor popped.

As TRS said many guys are doing this to 100k+ miles engines without issue. Those engines are known for going to 250-300k in stock form.

Also a legacy gt engine isn't a very good comparison. Subaru sells how many turbo cars per year compared to GM v8 truck and SUV sales? Between all the 2.5 turbo models they probably don't even sell 100k per year. While GM has been churning out millions of vehicles with the 5.3 liter in it per year for over a decade.

From what I've seen, guys are taking motors with 150k+ and throwing them in cars, adding boost, and running 9's without issue. A local guy went 8's in his foxbody, but he's gone 6 bolt LSX after the second junkyard motor popped.

The 5.3 and 6.0 truck engines have 6 bolt mains. 4 in normal config and two on the side. Like any LS engine.

The 5.3 and 6.0 truck engines have 6 bolt mains. 4 in normal config and two on the side. Like any LS engine.

I was referring to the head bolts per cylinder. Production LS engines have 4 bolts around the perimeter of each cylinder, while LSX and aftermarket blocks/heads utilize 6 for more clamping force. Anytime you see 1200+whp LS engines, you can bet it's a 6 bolt.

Archived