LegacyGT.com

Finally back in a performance car!

About a year and a half after I got rid of my '05 334whp 20GXT LGT, the need for speed got the best of me. Picked up a one owner 2006 Corvette Z06. All stock, except for a full Corsa exhaust, which has no drone and sounds absolutely amazing.

A few pics from after a hasty wash on my newly graveled driveway:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20131223_151010_zps6a6e0a46.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20131223_151034_zpsc8f19d51.jpg

Mods will ensue!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. Its a first yearer but it's got the ls7 which is what really matters. Good job!

Now you need to get a paved driveway. That small grove in the ground looks like nothing until you have a low sports car, then it becomes a small moat.

Nice, c6 z06 is on my short list for my next toy vehicle. 11 sec 1/4 mile ET stock :D

Or 10s if the weather is just right and you can drive like a absolute BEAST. I think the fastest time on stock tires stock down to the filter is a 10.8x. there are a couple who have gone 10.9s stock.

Very nice. Its a first yearer but it's got the ls7 which is what really matters. Good job!

Now you need to get a paved driveway. That small grove in the ground looks like nothing until you have a low sports car, then it becomes a small moat.

Yeah I was looking at 08+ models with the stronger TR6060 trans, but finding a black or cyber grey one with under 3 owners (within driving distance) was damn near impossible. For the amount I saved over a newer one, I can put an A&A Corvettes supercharger kit on this with a TR6060... I wanted to wait til the '15 z06 got into the sub $70k range used, but that'll be longer than I can stand just driving my commuter car. If the new model wows me that much, I'll just take sell this and get one then.

I want to pave the driveway so bad, but it's ~300' long, so it'll be pretty pricey. :( someday...

Or 10s if the weather is just right and you can drive like a absolute BEAST. I think the fastest time on stock tires stock down to the filter is a 10.8x. there are a couple who have gone 10.9s stock.

I'd be happy getting < 12's on the runflats until I get used to launching! :lol:

Yeah I was looking at 08+ models with the stronger TR6060 trans, but finding a black or cyber grey one with under 3 owners (within driving distance) was damn near impossible. For the amount I saved over a newer one, I can put an A&A Corvettes supercharger kit on this with a TR6060... I wanted to wait til the '15 z06 got into the sub $70k range used, but that'll be longer than I can stand just driving my commuter car. If the new model wows me that much, I'll just take sell this and get one then.

I want to pave the driveway so bad, but it's ~300' long, so it'll be pretty pricey. :( someday...

I'd be happy getting < 12's on the runflats until I get used to launching! :lol:

Seeing as how the 2015s aren't out yet I would say you would have to wait another 2-3 years.

Very nice!

Want to upgrade to a ZO6 or GS, but will probably wait another year...

I assume you're aware of the valve guide issues with the LS7? If not, I highly suggest some reading over on the 'Vette forums. Can be a VERY costly issue, and I'm assuming you don't have a warranty, being an '06.

Very nice!

Want to upgrade to a ZO6 or GS, but will probably wait another year...

I assume you're aware of the valve guide issues with the LS7? If not, I highly suggest some reading over on the 'Vette forums. Can be a VERY costly issue, and I'm assuming you don't have a warranty, being an '06.

Thanks!

Yeah I've been aware of the valve issue, but still went ahead and got a z anyway. I plan on doing the wiggle test sometime this winter, and replacing the heads if they are out of spec. Worst case scenario, I blow the motor and swap in an LSX!

Thanks!

Yeah I've been aware of the valve issue, but still went ahead and got a z anyway. I plan on doing the wiggle test sometime this winter, and replacing the heads if they are out of spec. Worst case scenario, I blow the motor and swap in an LSX!

Glad to hear you're informed... I'd have been pissed to buy a Z only to find the motor was a ticking time bomb. Not so bad if you go in knowing about the problem.

What worries me is some of the 'fixes' seem to be temporary as well... and no one seems to know the real root of the problem. I'm starting to lean toward a GS, and just do heads/cam on the LS3, or maybe a blower...

Anyway, congrats on the Z, and I hope yours is one of the ones that never experiences the valve issues! :D

Why not buy a ls7 and do heads/cam? If you are doing heads/cam you are most likely upgrading the entire valve train and most likely getting rid of any valve issues. Plus ls7s can make 600whp with heads/cam/bolt ons which is such a nice round number.

A number of the guys who have gone to aftermarket heads/valvetrain on the LS7 are still experiencing rapid wear on the valve guides (we're talking 10k miles or less). It's an issue that no one appears to have a permanent fix for, as yet. There's no question the LS7 makes great power... it's just a question of how much preventative maintenance you are prepared to live with.

A number of the guys who have gone to aftermarket heads/valvetrain on the LS7 are still experiencing rapid wear on the valve guides (we're talking 10k miles or less). It's an issue that no one appears to have a permanent fix for, as yet. There's no question the LS7 makes great power... it's just a question of how much preventative maintenance you are prepared to live with.

The issue almost always only happens with stock heads/valves and guides. I have heard "glad I went aftermarket heads" more than once on the forums in ls7 valve wear threads.

From what I've read, it might have something to do with the rocker geometry. The LS7 uses 1.8 ratio rockers, which some believe to be putting more lateral stress on the valve guides. Even aftermarket bronze guides have shown abnormal wear.

Trick Flow has a new head coming out early 2014 that may address the geometry issue. It's hard to read through the hundreds of threads on several forums and pickup any solid information, though.

I seriously looked at the GS, since I could get a 2011-2012 for what I paid for the z. Dry sump LS3, wide body, wide wheels/tires, Z06 brakes, TR6060 trans... But at the end of the day, I'd have kicked myself for not buying the 7000rpm, 505hp, aluminum subframe, carbon fiber fenders/floor screamer that I'd set out to get.

But at the end of the day, I'd have kicked myself for not buying the 7000rpm, 505hp, aluminum subframe, carbon fiber fenders/floor screamer that I'd set out to get.

I definitely hear ya. :D

Hopefully the new TFS heads will be the permanent solution and it can all get put to bed. I'm just hoping the coming release of the C7 ZO?/ZR? will cause the C6 GS and Z prices to drop a bit more... ;)

smoky burnout?

If it was a used LGT, I would say donuts followed by a "Dude, I blew engine and I wasn't doing anything stoopid" thread.

GoPro & Performance cars go together like PB&J.

Maybe one in the burnout box at Bremerton Raceways this spring! I'll try to get a vid of the exhaust up when I get some free time.

Archived