LegacyGT.com

Finally back in a performance car!

So I've encountered some more issues. The trans started whining in every gear but 4th (straight through), so I looked on corvette forum and found one local out of a 2007 z06 with 19k miles. I'd love a built tr6060 or even t56, but that's just not in the cards right now as I've gone nearly $8k over my annual mod budget. Any way, here's a few pics of the progress.

Rear subframe/suspension out:http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20140921_110301_zpsxvvpc3mj.jpg

With the differential out:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20140921_135335_zpsgpt2saug.jpg

And the trans out:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20140921_153449_zpskupg8my3.jpg

Old one is on the left:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20140921_153414_zpsainsobjb.jpg

Wasn't a bad job, but bench pressing the diff and trans alone on a creeper was a harsh reminder that I need to get back into the gym! I took a break at that point and I'll work on it in my free time over the next week. I just hope this new trans is trouble free...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should think about doing the torque tube bearings while you're in there...

Considered it, but with 29k miles, they should be fine. I'll be pulling this trans out again in when I put in the built one anyways.

Note to self: owning a fun toy car is rarely as easy as it sounds..

Very true. Especially when you break things like I do. So far every performance car I've owned has had a failure of some sort. My '86 camaro I blew the engine at 80k miles (305 junk), my '90 SHO snapped the clutch PP straps, which wore a hole into the transmission case, I cracked 2 piston ring lands on my LGT, and I killed the clutch and trans in this one. Every time was an excuse to build it up more though. Put a 350 in the z28, an aluminum fw/9 puck clutch and quaife'd trans in the SHO, a forged piston EFI logics shortblock in the LGT, and now this.. This trans is stock though. :(

Maybe I need to learn how to drive.

The 1st and 2nd gear synchros were wonky in my C6, and I was terrified I was going to have to deal with the tranny before I got rid of it. Fortunately I didn't have to. The T56 and TR6060 transmissions are just unbelievably expensive. Even getting them rebuilt is $$$.

I fondly remember the days of $400 T-5s, and I could swap them in/out of a 5.0 in around an hour. Of course the reason I was good at swapping them was the glass 3rd gear... :lol:

Just have to get the trans manual and do it yourself. It is a bit of a pain in the ass. I did a t-3650 rebuild from a 02 mustang GT.

Fun, fast cars tend to make your wallet lighter. A big reason I have been sticking with bikes lately. Even if they do have a failure parts are usually cheap and they are so easy to work on.

Re: bikes: if I didn't have the co-ordination of a drunk hippo out of water.. Plus, no way my wife would let me get one. And the near misses (and not) that I've seen here in the Bay Area where they're allowed to cut between cars while both are moving: I just couldn't bring myself to get a bike unless I was single. Not judging, that's just my decision.

I've had the following cars: '84 Jetta GLI, '90 GTi 16v, '94 Corrado VR6 (notice a trend, and the username :-). Lots of nagging electrical issues due to VW using cheap ass wires and not holding up in SW Ontario winters/salt/summers/humidity/etc. Went through 2 transmissions on the GTI before I sold it (best seats ever - Recaros rock!). On the Corrado, did Quaife, modified 3.94 final drive, 5th gear and that took a bit to get right. The Z-Engineering supercharger was a ton of fun, but not that reliable (pulley belt kept wearing out bearings). When working a super fun car (took it winter rallying, got air at 115 mph, etc). When not - well, driving my dad's Camry was not so fun :-)

Now that I'm married and "responsible", I opted for the LGT. In almost 10 years, it's only left me stranded once when I hit a pothole that took out TWO tires at the same time. And the nightmares about my car breaking down, brakes overheating (not that I ever had this happen), etc have slowed to a very small trickle. I used to get those much more often when I had the VWs :lol::lol:

As a reward, I'm going to put in one more round of upgrades into the LGT (already have stage 2.5 bnr16g, etc): wilwood bbk, Grimmspeed TMIC, new DP, maybe some HIDs, etc.. I figure in 5 years, she'll be done.. At that point - who knows. I might have to settle for a Tesla (already have solar panels). In my heart, I want a Focus RS or 4-door Mustang GT or the like (I am SO done with 2-door cars!). Maybe an STI if they ever up the power..

(sorry for the threadjack!)

Why not "havevw"? None of their current line up meets your criteria?

I find myself more and more drawn to a new golf GTI or TDI when my current commuter mazda 3 gets ready to expire. I keep my hopes up for a GTD, but they delayed the american release for some reason.

Why not "havevw"? None of their current line up meets your criteria?

I find myself more and more drawn to a new golf GTI or TDI when my current commuter mazda 3 gets ready to expire. I keep my hopes up for a GTD, but they delayed the american release for some reason.

Not "havevw" because both my wife and I had them before we got married, and agreed we didn't need to spend most of our married lives driving our cars to/from the mechanic :lol: If I knew they'd be reliable, there are a few VW models I'd consider, but I'm still not convinced. Probably will never be again :lol:

I can understand the TDI thing if you have a fun car too - I don't have a fun car, so I have to have a DD that's somewhat fun. And generally need 4 doors, and wife would prefer auto so she doesn't have to relearn manual that's she's only driven a few times. Plus, I do encounter my share of commute time.. Ideal type of car (for now):

Focus RS / STI / MS3 / etc hatch with Recaro seats, decent leg room (our girls will be TALL), 4 doors (a must) and dual-clutch or auto trans. Who knows - maybe the new WRX CVT in a few years. Wouldn't trust a VW dual-clutch trans as far as I could throw it..

Yeah I'd need an automatic type trans, too. I've got a 100 mile daily commute and it's hell with a stick. My mazda has been really good in the 2.5 years I've owned it (69k miles!), but I'm kind of wanting a nicer and slightly faster car, as I spend so much time in it. VW seems to fit the bill, but their relibility reputation has me concerned. Maybe I'll get the next gen mazda 6 if they have the diesel by then.

Yeah I'd need an automatic type trans, too. I've got a 100 mile daily commute and it's hell with a stick. My mazda has been really good in the 2.5 years I've owned it (69k miles!), but I'm kind of wanting a nicer and slightly faster car, as I spend so much time in it. VW seems to fit the bill, but their relibility reputation has me concerned. Maybe I'll get the next gen mazda 6 if they have the diesel by then.

We had an '05 Madza 3 sedan for approx 3 years, until the 2nd baby came and we bought my wife a minivan. Nice car, a bit of quickness off the line. 4 spd auto had fast shifts, but a little lacking in mpg. If Mazdaspeed3 came in auto, would probably already own one instead of the LGT..

• 9 months later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU71B78k9aw]Erik Bengtson cam only Z06 - YouTube[/ame]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20150404_162725_zpswgyp6exg.jpg

No changes to the car this year, just practicing my launch. Got my 60' time in the 1.7 second range, but it has 1.5 in the setup. Unfortunately, the car is down on power now (488whp on a dynojet vs 510 on a mustang dyno last year) and has a bit of knock retard in my datalogs. Still, a 11.14 is good enough for me until my next round of mods in 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

Raced a 2012 R8 V10, the AWD got me on the launch though. Even with my drag radials at 18psi, I just spun through first gear. Couldn't catch him by the yellow flag finish for dig races.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kJgkS6i5U[/ame]

But from a 40 roll...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZUiySol420[/ame]

This guy called me out a while back with his stock motor 2v mustang GT. He's got a big single turbo on it and puts down an estimated 550whp.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGNu8yq6Fw[/ame]

Here's a clean e46 M3 with 600whp from a turbo (also stock motor) and SMG trans.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWTWTTO02s[/ame]

And a stock '14 GT500 with drag radials and exhaust. I missed the second gear shift and couldn't pull on him after that. That was my first roll race of the day and I started in second gear after that.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Vy4YJEEXo[/ame]

• 3 months later...

So I went back to my tuner and he leaned it out to around 12.8. Came in at 473whp and left at around 493 (forgot to ask for a printout), but I gained ~20whp across the entire powerband. Went to a track rental yesterday and pulled my best time ever.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/TRSCobra/20151024_122146_zpsw0d9uhrc.jpg

Tuner says I should be making more power with the heads/cam, and I'm considering changing it out, but I'm going to see how it responds to full bolt ons first. If I get 560 or more on his mustang dyno with halltech/nw102/msd/arh, I'll keep this cam. if not, a BTR stage 2 or 3 is likely going in.

Overall, I can't complain too much!

I believe they continue to gain flow up to .700 but I can't find the flow bench numbers anymore. I'm actually a bit high for lift on the stock rockers though. They start side loading the valve guides at like .640 and higher. :(

To do that I need to have the rocker pedestals machined off the heads, and a good set of Jesel rockers is $3k. Not worth it for a street car, IMHO.

Stock ratio is 1.8 on the LS7. Yella Terra makes roller tip rockers that bolt up to the factory pedestals, but they add quite a bit of weight to the valvetrain. Most shops prefer just using the lightweight stock rockers.

I always have that idea rolling around in my head. I can sell the longblock for probably $11k as is, then use that money plus another $10k for a forged RHS setup that will handle a lot more power. Way better than blowing mine up and needing over $20k I suppose! Gotta boost it at that point.

Or I could do a LSX block and ruin the weight distribution. :(

Well if 1/4 mile is all you care about a blown or turbocharged GM performance LSX iron block build would be cheaper (by a little) than sticking with aluminum.

If I had the $$$ though, for a Z06 I would stick with aluminum for block material, and to keep the motor more throttle responsive and simple I'd stick with natural aspiration. Just add more displacement and of course build it with parts that can support around 470 cubic inches. For longevity I would probably not stroke a tall deck block out to the max stroke to avoid wearing out piston skirts prematurely.

How much power are you looking to make?

Archived