LegacyGT.com

Brighter headlights?

I was driving home from work today, in the dark for the first time since getting my LGT earlier this month & noticed 2 things.

1. The headlight aim is TERRIBLE. I need to adjust this, and have tried a bit. The adjustments don't seem to do much, and the front rad support is apparently slightly bent due to an accident from before I bought the car (I was aware of the accident before purchase).

2. The bulbs are DIM. They remind me of 35W bulbs with how dim they are. The housings are clean & clear.

The aiming & brightness are so bad that I can't see anything outside of 15' in front of my car.

Are there brighter bulbs that can be put in? Is there an easy way to adjust headlights that don't seem to want to tip up high enough?

I've done a bit of reading & can find lots of info on the 05 Legacy, but not much for our generation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few things you can do:

1. If your headlights are hazed / yellowed, you need to buff them. There are cheaper methods of doing it, but I simply paid the $20 for a kit from AutoZone / Advance Auto and used that with my cordless drill. If your headlights are hazed over, buffing them clear again will easily double your vision.

2. It sounds like you need to adjust them properly. The adjustment knobs (there are two on each light - up/down and left/right) on these vehicles tend to completely seize, and the plastic tips tend to break off. If you can't get them to turn, soak them in WD-40 or PB Blaster, and leave them. When I did that, after an hour, they still wouldn't budge, so I left them alone. Two days later I went to try again and they turned freely. I use a pair of lock-jaws to clamp onto the metal stubs and turn them little by little.

3. Get brighter bulbs. My favorite bulbs are Narva RangePower +50 bulbs, which I use in my PIAA 520ATP driving lights, but they don't make a 9007 style. So instead I have these, and they are bright as ****.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9007-X-treme-Power-Headlight/dp/B00480N16S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387599058&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+9007]Amazon.com: Philips 9007 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2: Automotive[/ame]

4. Randomly find a pair of BRAND NEW lights on a crashed 1999 Outback at the local junkyard that the guy doesn't seem to realize were obviously replaced just prior to the car having been totaled, and buy those instead for $50. :p In fact, it appears that even though they looked identical, they must have changed the reflector pattern in later revisions of our lights, because they throw the light out differently and do a better job at night.

So, find the lights off a 99 Outback & then aim them properly is what you're saying? :p What's the difference between the driving lights & headlights on the 2nd Gen? I don't seem to have lights that turn on until I turn them on manually.

I was just saying the headlights I got (which seem to have been manufactured around '06 - and clearly sat in a box on a shelf until being installed on that 99 shortly before it was crashed this year) seemed to throw the light out more efficiently. I never looked closely at the reflector pattern to see if it was different, because I wasn't expecting it... it seemed the same at a glance.

And yeah, I should have been more clear with what I was saying. My driving lights are PIAA aftermarket units that I installed where the stock fog lights go. They are aimed up, and turn on with either the low or high beams.

I found that the two piece head lights are the brighter out of the different styles and that's including the JDM projectors. I own a 99lgt and have a basic bulb, super clear lens and even with the fogs off I get a great light pattern and they're really bright. More so with the fog lights on. On my 96 L I installed a hid kit and still my 99 with plain HL bulbs is brighter. It's the reflective panel inside the lamp that makes these good lights. Keeping them clean/clear and adjusted is always a good idea too.

Agree. The two-piece headlights are better than the one-piece as far as light output.

To the OP: the two-piece lights (which are what you should have on your car) have separate assemblies each for the headlights and turn signals. If you aren't sure which you have, the two-piece lights are multi-reflector lights and have a CLEAR lens.

One-piece (95-97):

http://www.autosdepo.com/eBay/PhotoWithFrame.ashx?frame=Genera&pNO=AVNM

Two-piece (98-99):

http://www.autosdepo.com/eBay/PhotoWithFrame.ashx?frame=Genera&pNO=AVNL

I've been looking for something a little brighter to replace my 98's headlight bulbs. Just took a look at what's in there now and they are actually the original bulbs (had a Sep 29 '97 date code on them). I'm betting one of them will go at any time...

I'll prove it. Next time I am by my friends house at night I'll take some pics of his 98 with JDM projectors and my 99 LGT with the two piece lights. Mine are brighter then his. Him and I went through this whole deal already. I thought his would've been brighter but riding with him one night I noticed and said to him that mine seemed brighter and they are.

There are a few things you can do:

3. Get brighter bulbs. My favorite bulbs are Narva RangePower +50 bulbs, which I use in my PIAA 520ATP driving lights, but they don't make a 9007 style. So instead I have these, and they are bright as ****.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9007-X-treme-Power-Headlight/dp/B00480N16S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387599058&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+9007]Amazon.com: Philips 9007 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2: Automotive[/ame]

I was looking at these bulbs at Amazon- reviewers a agree they are brighter than OEM- how long have you had them (I want to get something to last at least a couple years). I'm also replacing the Silverstars that both blew out on my '88 Nissan truck after not a lot of usage)

:lol:

no way, not even close

projectors>2pc>1pc

Yeah, that. The JDM projectors are wider, brighter, and have more distance than the 2 piece lights.

1 piece = A couple maglite mini flashlights in a wet paper bag.

2 piece = Slightly less terrible, but still awful.

JDM = Holy crap, you can see things!

Retrofit = I CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE

I was looking at these bulbs at Amazon- reviewers a agree they are brighter than OEM- how long have you had them (I want to get something to last at least a couple years). I'm also replacing the Silverstars that both blew out on my '88 Nissan truck after not a lot of usage)

They will last a lot longer than Silverstars. Silverstars are notorious for burning out in a very short time frame. That's because they put a coating on the glass to give it that nice white look, and then bump the brightness up to compensate for the reduced brightness. The result is a bulb that isn't as bright as it could be, with a filament that cooks itself rather quickly.

Update on my situation:

Tried aiming my headlights & discovered 2 disheartening things.

1. The driver's side headlight assembly is cracked at the back just above the vertical adjustment knob.

2. The passenger side adjustment knobs are seized & stripped at the heads.

I know I could just use a pair of vise grips & some WD40 to loosen the passenger side screws & adjust that headlight, but I don't have any vertical adjustment on the driver's side (the one that needs it most).

I called Lordco (our Canadian Autozone equivalent) and the headlights are $229ea.

Where can I get a set of NEW headlights for less? I'm looking for $300 at the top end of my price range for a full set.

Wow! Decent price & look nice.

What's the catch with these, though? Is the beam pattern going to blind oncoming traffic? Is it going to require a wiring mod/upgrade?

Is the beam pattern going to blind oncoming traffic? Is it going to require a wiring mod/upgrade?

Yes, and yes, lol.

You need to modify the cut-off internally if you want the "proper" beam pattern for a left-hand-drive vehicle.

Wiring isn't complicated at all, but it is not plug-and-play with your stock harness.

i had my LHD projector aimed a bit downward for a few months prior to the cutoff swap and never got flashed yet still had plenty of throw for the light

Westcoast is selling his JDM projectors I think for $200 with high beams..dunno about shipping to canada tho

Yes, and yes, lol.

You need to modify the cut-off internally if you want the "proper" beam pattern for a left-hand-drive vehicle.

Wiring isn't complicated at all, but it is not plug-and-play with your stock harness.

I'm not too scared by the wiring. I found this guide:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5941&hilit=jdm+projector+install

Should make things relatively easy.

i had my LHD projector aimed a bit downward for a few months prior to the cutoff swap and never got flashed yet still had plenty of throw for the light

Westcoast is selling his JDM projectors I think for $200 with high beams..dunno about shipping to canada tho

Hmm. Maybe I should hit him up. Did he do the LHD beam mod? I found a writeup for it, but I really don't want to mess anything up. :S

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-jdm-headlight-blackout-and-usdm-light-pattern-conversion-127120.html

Archived