LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Limited. I need help!

BNR 16G. He requires the upgraded oil line (which, again - is NOT available from IP - it is back ordered since Mid November) for the 1 year warranty to be valid. As far as tuning, there is one company locally named Engine Logics that has been recommended by several Subaru hot rodders. I have no idea if it is OS or AP, nor do I know what those stand for. :redface:

I have found the up pipe (and some heat wrap) so if I can just get my hands on the correct down pipe all the parts except the oil line will be ordered.

Nice, hopefully you will be able to post up some dyno results. You're going to love the way it drives, it will be like a completely different car when it kicks. Are you going to stay with stock injectors? It may be worth it to get new injectors since you're starting to get up there in mileage and upgrade to 740cc's, as well as a new fuel pump (dw65c fits in our canister and is only $150). It's not a necessary upgrade to run the 16g, but you will have pretty high injector duty cycles. I originally started out with stock fueling but had one injector go bad...I'm pretty sure running them at 92%+ exposed the weakness in it. I figured if I need new injectors, might as well get bigger ones for better reliability. I wound up paying additional for my tune to account for the upgraded injectors and wished I just upgraded from the beginning. With the better fueling the boost doesn't have to dial back so much after 5500 rpm and it also got me an extra 10-15 whp, power maintains until redline with no dropoff, and the tq curve is nice and flat all the way to redline vs having to dip from 5500 rpm on. Just a thought on it, not sure how others fared with stock fueling reliability wise...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have run with a 16G on stock injectors for a total of over 30k on two cars (20k on one, 10k on the other) with no injector problems.

Its common knowledge here that the BNR16g will be fine on stock fueling, just like the vf52 is.

I guess it depends on here much you want to push it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
Its common knowledge here that the BNR16g will be fine on stock fueling, just like the vf52 is.

Right, but the only comment in this thread was that upgraded injectors would be a good idea. I disagree that they are in any way necessary.

They aren't necessary, but I just suggested them because you would be pushing the stock pump and injectors towards the limits. I had my #1 injector fail during revisions. I figured running it at 92%+ injector duty cycle probably helped push an already tired injector to fail. After having it happen to me, I threw it out there that it may not be a bad idea to upgrade them and the pump to avoid having a possible issue.

The deatshwerks is just cleaning up the existing injectors and not upgrading, i.e. the same original flow. I will address the injectors and fuel pump in the near future.

Right this moment (Christmas evening... I hope all of ya'lls was wonderful) I have found everything else previously detailed except a down pipe. Still looking for that. I have had 2 different guys tell me that their DP for their manual tranny will work. Still looking. ;)

iNVAR, this is apparently what the local tuner uses. AP or OS? Am I correct in that whatever tune they do, I will be able (and should?) do my own logging and any adjustments thereafter?

http://www.linkecu.com/

ETA: Found a downpipe. Now I just have to wait for all the parts to arrive. Getting back and forth to work over the next week is going to be a pain!

No. That appears to be ultra proprietary stuff. I'm not familiar with the name/brand but someone else might be.

The two big ones are Cobb and OS and that's where you'll get the most support should you have problems and need help, or need someone to make adjustments.

There is also ECUTek (craaaaaaap, stay away because they lock down your ECU and it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to remove or do anything to it).

After some mild researching, it appears that the Link system is a piggyback/replacement option and it will be VERY EXPENSIVE relative to COBB AP and OS. It is also probably going to be completely OVERKILL for what you're shooting for.

And in doing a little more myself, Engine Logics also offers" AEM Engine Management, Cobb AP, EcuFlash, EFILive, Haltech as well as some dedicated to Mustaings, Lightnings, Nissans & Hondas. I'm going to have to have a loooong conversation with them I think.

Not at all... I appreciate your help very much! After getting off on the wrong foot you guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate it. I would no doubt have made some mistakes, i.e. spent a lot more money for nothing or fixing stuff so your experience and time are valued. Thank you again to all that have helped.

I got a good deal on a CNT catted unit. Now all the parts are ordered. Turbo arrived yesterday. I have to wait for the pipes to move onto that.

BUT... while I am nailing down details, should I go ahead and remove the banjo bolt filters from the oil intake and AVCS's now too? The upgraded oil intake is of course filtered. Any other little things you can think of to do now while so much is apart. I think I mentioned earlier the timing belt is done.

I saw on your post about the wiper issue that you were in south east Texas (Houston area I would assume). If you have the opportunity, or are willing to make the drive up, Cobb Tuning in Plano, TX is the best place to get a tune. They could send you a base map to flash with the accessport if you buy one (several used available), then drive on up there and get on their dyno tune for what I would assume to be the best possible tune. You could always call them and ask what they would charge for this (I paid $500 for mine).

• 2 weeks later...
Just a little update for anyone else that is planning this. Still waiting on the down pipe and oil supply line, but the install has started. Finding lots of little tubes, hoses and connectors breaking. 9 years and 100K+ miles will do that I guess. ;)

Little update. Everything has arrived but the downpipe. Monday (I hope!). The oil supply line was a surprise. It doesn't appear to be any larger ID... just in two pieces to include a filter. I guess that's enough???

Archived