LegacyGT.com

Tore down engine, noticeable problems? (pics)

The burnt valve problem is very common in these engines that or on the factory MAP. There is a timing flaw and the result is burnt valves.

My wagon was off the OEM MAP at 8000 miles, when the machine shop rebuilt my heads at 154,000 miles all the valves were in great shape.

He said mine was the first set of these heads he's ever seen that didn't need valves. He does most the heads for the local subaru dealers. At least one set a week for the past decade or so.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wish you would have included $ figures next to each of those items. Might keep me from daydreaming.

Thanks for that clarification. So they are replacing the valves with new ones, instead of grinding them, what are they doing to the valve seats on the heads?

Yup, the OEM valves are quite expensive. From what I understand, at the very least they have to replace all the exhaust valves. The cost in parts for those 8 was like 900 dollars. Cheaper to go and replace all 16.

They said the valve seats are in pretty good shape but they are going to clean everything up nice and replace the stem seals and shim everything

Yup, the OEM valves are quite expensive. From what I understand, at the very least they have to replace all the exhaust valves. The cost in parts for those 8 was like 900 dollars. Cheaper to go and replace all 16.

They said the valve seats are in pretty good shape but they are going to clean everything up nice and replace the stem seals and shim everything

I believe it's called lapping the valves, to get a good seat with the new valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived